this summer's cricket (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Why couldn't Cook pretend it was his last ever test innings in every game?
I'm a big fan of his but did start to wonder what would have happened if he'd have been dropped during one of his lean spells if there'd been anyone worth replacing him with. These last two innings he's been back to his best but that seemed to be because he was more focussed than ever to prove himself and rack up the runs, rather than the pressure being off. I wonder if we'd have got a similar reaction if he'd been sat out for a couple of tests/series.

I realise it's entirely churlish to wonder if you could have got any more out of someone who's scored 3500 more runs than anyone else in your country's history and holds many records but was just a thought.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'm a big fan of his but did start to wonder what would have happened if he'd have been dropped during one of his lean spells if there'd been anyone worth replacing him with. These last two innings he's been back to his best but that seemed to be because he was more focussed than ever to prove himself and rack up the runs, rather than the pressure being off. I wonder if we'd have got a similar reaction if he'd been sat out for a couple of tests/series.

I realise it's entirely churlish to wonder if you could have got any more out of someone who's scored 3500 more runs than anyone else in your country's history and holds many records but was just a thought.

Agree, was gutted when he announced his retirement even though he was going through a lean spell. Always thought he’d go on to 37/38 break Tendulkars record.
He seems like the ultimate pro, Sportsman and bloke, it’ll be a shame to see him rack up the runs for Essex over the next few years which he’ll do, but I wish him well (apart from when he plays for Warwickshire and I hope Ollie Stone knocks his off stump out the ground first ball)!

Grendel

Pietersons Twitter “tributes” are just pathetic. I assume Piers Morgan is either his gay lover or wishes he was.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I saw the bbc tweeted Morgan’s ‘wave’ to Cook early, I’m not even going to search or ask for KP’s.

Glad 99.9% of the public are giving a proper team man, grafter & legend a proper send off, something that arrogant FIGJAM never received!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

What a day, great knock by the India pair, brilliant Anderson finished it off with the record!

4-1 flatters England and Curran’s knocks at Birmingham and Southampton May just have been the difference!
End of an era with Cook bowing out, irreplaceable.

tisza

a good piece on espn cricinfo by George Dobell which shows just what a good player he was. Some of his records are remarkable which i had no idea about.
Big hole in England team to be filled.
Yesterday's ovations are something i've never seen in my many years of watching cricket.
Special mention for Anderson - no secret i'm a huge fan. Not just wickets taken but SR up with the very best.

tisza

Love the way cricket , fans, players and former players acknowledge & celebrate players and records.
Also again what a refreshing change Kohli is to many other captains. Generous in his praise of opponents and their achievements. Can't help thinking cricket will be celebrating many records for Kohli himself in all forms of the game - a tremendous batsman.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Love the way cricket , fans, players and former players acknowledge & celebrate players and records.
Also again what a refreshing change Kohli is to many other captains. Generous in his praise of opponents and their achievements. Can't help thinking cricket will be celebrating many records for Kohli himself in all forms of the game - a tremendous batsman.

I think with Cricket and especially the England Cricket team as they’re playing 12 months a year, so many days, all different times of the day and night you feel more of an affinity/connection for them,well I do out of all the sports sides I support, it’s like they’re always there, take Cook for instance I was still at school, the amount of winter mornings I’d roll in from a night out stick the tv on at stupid o’clock to eat my cheesey chips and he’d be batting, I remember his debut test v India when he scored a ton i was in a pub in Southampton before for a city away game (1-1 Hutchinson last minute pen), the Ashes tour 10/11 being in Aus for it spent the days I wasn’t at the test watching it on a TV in various hostels, it’s like a soundtrack to your life.

wingy

I think with Cricket and especially the England Cricket team as they’re playing 12 months a year, so many days, all different times of the day and night you feel more of an affinity/connection for them,well I do out of all the sports sides I support, it’s like they’re always there, take Cook for instance I was still at school, the amount of winter mornings I’d roll in from a night out stick the tv on at stupid o’clock to eat my cheesey chips and he’d be batting, I remember his debut test v India when he scored a ton i was in a pub in Southampton before for a city away game (1-1 Hutchinson last minute pen), the Ashes tour 10/11 being in Aus for it spent the days I wasn’t at the test watching it on a TV in various hostels, it’s like a soundtrack to your life.
I think you've just illustrated how tough it for players
Barely at home
I think the stress and pressure of that mentally hits them at some pint and must cause issues/tensions at home
Yeah the rewards are good but they miss a lot of their children growing up etc

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Barely at home
I think the stress and pressure of that mentally hits them at some pint and must cause issues/tensions at home

Agree, especially for the batsmen in terms of form and mental side imagine say in SL batting first scoring 0 spending a day watching your side score 300 then spending 2 days in the field as they rack up 600 in 40+ degrees knowing you’ll be batting again with a low score to your name etc maybe failing again, then the hotel lifestyle etc.
You’d definitely have to have a strong mentality and like they say the amount of times Cook was on the brink of being dropped and dug in for a score to earn another chance takes some doing!

tisza

This is why Test cricket is the ultimate form of the game. Mental strength such an important aspect. It's the fielder that has to spend 6 hrs in the field but be ready every ball for that one catch chance. The bowler has to be able to still charge in in the 90th over on a completely dead pitch. Batsmen having to graft for runs on a heavy turner or survive a fast bouncy wicket. Not got the mental strength then not going to succeed as a Test player.

Much as I enjoyed Pant's innings yesterday it was a 50 over knock that came off. Tried it in previous 6 innings and it didn't and probably won't in the next 6 either. Easier to do that when you're chasing 450 rather than 280.

tisza

hadn
Barely at home
hadn't realized it's only about 3 weeks until they fly out to Sri Lanka for what could be a really tough tour so not much time to rest and then prepare again.
3 months ago it was doom and gloom about how Kuldeep was going to decimate England over the coming months. Now up against a side that could easily open the bowling with 2 spinners in Herath and Perera :) Just beaten SA fairly comfortably that way.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

hadn

hadn't realized it's only about 3 weeks until they fly out to Sri Lanka for what could be a really tough tour so not much time to rest and then prepare again.
3 months ago it was doom and gloom about how Kuldeep was going to decimate England over the coming months. Now up against a side that could easily open the bowling with 2 spinners in Herath and Perera :) Just beaten SA fairly comfortably that way.

And their first change in that series was another spinner Akila Dananjaya, who’s averaging 16 in tests with the ball!

tisza

good to see a decent sprinkling of young English talent being given a chance around the CC games this week .... and then you have Hants running a retirement home for overseas bowlers :(

tisza

20/20 finals day.
Don't like saying it but good luck worcs. New name on trophy and are developing young English players.
Watched next to none 20/20 this year. Protest at Birmingham bears etc. and to be honest it is getting much of a much.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

20/20 finals day.
Don't like saying it but good luck worcs. New name on trophy and are developing young English players.
Watched next to none 20/20 this year. Protest at Birmingham bears etc. and to be honest it is getting much of a much.

Yep Worcestershire for me as well!

SkyBlueSoul

Unsurprisingly I'll be rooting for Lancs. Livingstone hasn't played T20 since the Roses game in July and only had a couple of red ball matches since the start of September so hoping he can get up to speed. Hope Matt Parkinson has a good day too. Young English lad, got 3/27 in the semi and averages 17 from 52 overs in the Blast this year.

Otis

I guess they can select two different teams if they make the final, i.e. make changes to the first game's line-up?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Good comeback from Worcestershire, Lancs top 3 is the key if they can restrict to 50-3 they have a chance, Worcestershire more pace orientated than Lancs spin
Criminal only bowling Faulkner 2 overs everytime I’ve seems Lester bowl he goes for runs!

tisza

That's a terrific effort from worcs. Missing star overseas batsmen yet recovered well.
Bowled well. Young home produced players leading the way.

Otis

How come the two sides in the final have been allowed to wear almost identical kits tonight?

SkyBlueSoul

That's an astonishing first wicket in the final! Run out when the player is over the line but mid-step so both feet in the air still :emoji_see_no_evil: wasn't expecting it his end so just trotting back, had made a good start too

tisza

So Stone on the ODI squad. Slightly left field selection but have been saying quicks are the one weak link in that side

Users who are viewing this thread