Today’s games (10 Viewers)

Gibbo

Robins lost 6-2 at home to going down to non league Yeovil. Freak results happen

I rate Ryan Lowe. He’s had 2 promotions in his last 2 seasons. Plays good attacking football, It was more who could come in on our price range.

He also fits our model in that he’s developed young players from the academy. Luke Jephcott being the main one.

I’ve already stated on a past thread, I got it wrong on Robins. Thought he was tactically stubborn. Glad we move on upwards.

There will be a time though when he does leave, and I stand by what I said and Ryan Lowe would he a good replacement
He IS tactically stubborn. And tactically conservative. It is something he has to work on, along with how to use substitutes to best advantage. He seems to take the view that changing his starting line up during a match amounts to an admission he got it wrong.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

How can anyone accuse Robins of being tactically stubborn?

Anyone who’s followed us in his second spell can see we’ve changed systems several times.

Real life football management is not like FIFA or Football Manager where changing tactics changes things at the click of the button.
He doesn’t adapt unless forced to. In league 2 it wasn’t working until Jones got injured, he switched up to 4-3-3. We didn’t start moving until we accidentally switched up against Fleetwood, when he stumbled across the box, which in itself didn’t work in the championship.

Since Bristol he’s obviously proven this wrong, and changed it. Something I admitted and accepted I was wrong.

Skyblueweeman

I don't get this we are safe attitude, while we can still be caught, i won't relax until the points are secured,one more win should do it, hopefully that will be this evening,although i think we will draw, saturday i believe we can celebrate

Agreed. I've been a Cov fan for too long to think we're safe. I've seen us throw away enough leads on 90 mins to end up drawing or losing for me to be comfortable at the moment. Remember Swindon away in the Mowbray era...2-0 up in the 86th minute and drew 2-2?

Until it's mathematically impossible for us to go down, I'm still as nervous as fook.

Sky Blue Pete

He IS tactically stubborn. And tactically conservative. It is something he has to work on, along with how to use substitutes to best advantage. He seems to take the view that changing his starting line up during a match amounts to an admission he got it wrong.
Yep he’s so risk averse

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Agreed. I've been a Cov fan for too long to think we're safe. I've seen us throw away enough leads on 90 mins to end up drawing or losing for me to be comfortable at the moment. Remember Swindon away in the Mowbray era...2-0 up in the 86th minute and drew 2-2?

Until it's mathematically impossible for us to go down, I'm still as nervous as fook.
I’m not nervous because I can’t see Rotherham getting 9 points and I can’t see Derby getting 5 if I’m honest.

Really think Derby are in the shit, and maybe saved by the fact Rotherham are tiring more and more and appear to have stopped scoring

Irish Sky Blue

Robins lost 6-2 at home to going down to non league Yeovil. Freak results happen

I rate Ryan Lowe. He’s had 2 promotions in his last 2 seasons. Plays good attacking football, It was more who could come in on our price range.

He also fits our model in that he’s developed young players from the academy. Luke Jephcott being the main one.

I’ve already stated on a past thread, I got it wrong on Robins. Thought he was tactically stubborn. Glad we move on upwards.

There will be a time though when he does leave, and I stand by what I said and Ryan Lowe would he a good replacement
We lost 6-2 at home in a season in which we got promoted. They have just lost 6-0 in a season where they are going nowhere.

As I said, it doesn’t mean Lowe isn’t a good manager, but I can just imagine the stick that he is getting from some Plymouth fans who can not accept anything but continuing success, same as here where two promotions in three seasons at a basket case of a club is disregarded because we are struggling to keep our head above water in the Championship.
Just to say; I rate Robins. He’s had 2 promotions in the last three seasons and won a national trophy. He plays good attacking football, but will change it up when the need arises.. He fits our model in that he develops players from our academy, sometime sells them on and uses the money to develop the team, Tom Bayliss being a good example.

Presumably, two games ago you thought he was poor, but because we have won the last two games he is now okay? The way he has transformed our fortunes in the previous 4 years didn’t count for anything?

It also wasn’t you who that I had read suggesting Ryan Lowe as a good Robins replacement. Someone had suggested Lowe or Neil Harris as being candidates who could come in and be far better than Robins.

Too much short termism. If we lose tonight there will be some pointing out his errors and possibly some suggesting it is time for him to go. Two defeats on the trot and that will definitely be the case.

Skyblueweeman

I’m not nervous because I can’t see Rotherham getting 9 points and I can’t see Derby getting 5 if I’m honest.

Really think Derby are in the shit, and maybe saved by the fact Rotherham are tiring more and more and appear to have stopped scoring

Yeah, I do agree with all of that. But it would just be a typical 'Coventry thing' for us to go down from this position. if there's one club that could do it, it's us.

I'm 95% sure we'll stay up...just nervous.

Ccfcisparks

A point tonight would be great to keep things ticking over, stop Wendies catching us, mean Rotherham have to get 3 wins and 1 draw to catch us and mean that Derby have to win 2 of their last 3 to catch us.

cov donkey kick

On being stubborn robins seems to have addressed his own weaknesses to some degree in he's analysed himself and overcome those concerns,I think even this season he's learnt playing his favourite players hasn't worked and put them out of his planning.its proves the saying people are always learning.

cooperskyblue

A win tonight and I'll feel 100% that we are safe. Derby have got tough 3 games and it could possibly even come down to their game against Wednesday on the final day.
We don't even need to think about Rotherham, Derby have 9 points max they can get and we are 5 ahead with 12 available for us.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We lost 6-2 at home in a season in which we got promoted. They have just lost 6-0 in a season where they are going nowhere.

As I said, it doesn’t mean Lowe isn’t a good manager, but I can just imagine the stick that he is getting from some Plymouth fans who can not accept anything but continuing success, same as here where two promotions in three seasons at a basket case of a club is disregarded because we are struggling to keep our head above water in the Championship.
Just to say; I rate Robins. He’s had 2 promotions in the last three seasons and won a national trophy. He plays good attacking football, but will change it up when the need arises.. He fits our model in that he develops players from our academy, sometime sells them on and uses the money to develop the team, Tom Bayliss being a good example.

Presumably, two games ago you thought he was poor, but because we have won the last two games he is now okay? The way he has transformed our fortunes in the previous 4 years didn’t count for anything?

It also wasn’t you who that I had read suggesting Ryan Lowe as a good Robins replacement. Someone had suggested Lowe or Neil Harris as being candidates who could come in and be far better than Robins.

Too much short termism. If we lose tonight there will be some pointing out his errors and possibly some suggesting it is time for him to go. Two defeats on the trot and that will definitely be the case.
No that was me - I’ll hold my hands up to it.

I had doubts he was the man to keep us up this season before Bristol. He then proceeded to do exactly what I said he wouldn’t. Like I’ve said I held my hands up.

I do have my concerns about whether he’s reached his level. He’s definitely a manager who sticks with his own plans regardless of whether they work or not.

It depends if we want to move forward. I think this is a ceiling for Robins. I like that we’ve improved year on end. I like our model.

It’s about constant improvement. He’s back at the Ricoh next year, but obviously this league is a different animal to league one. We’ve got to look at settling ourselves in the 15-18 place over the next couple of seasons, and then reassess. The last thing we want to do is start stagnating like we did originally and to an extent Ipswich.

The club always has to look forward

Irish Sky Blue

He doesn’t adapt unless forced to. In league 2 it wasn’t working until Jones got injured, he switched up to 4-3-3. We didn’t start moving until we accidentally switched up against Fleetwood, when he stumbled across the box, which in itself didn’t work in the championship.

Since Bristol he’s obviously proven this wrong, and changed it. Something I admitted and accepted I was wrong.
This is a re-writing of history to suit your own arguments.
The injury to Jones, who was our leading scorer and assist provider was a huge blow, particularly as it happened reasonably early in that season. It was an injury which severely restricted us as an attacking force. There was no immediate upturn in fortunes due to enforced tactical change after the Jones injury. We still trundled along on the fringes of the play off group in the way that we had all season. By common consent the real turning point, and the game which did signal an upturn in fortunes was the draw at Mansfield, much later on.
To say he ‘accidentally‘ changed things at half time against Fleetwood is really stretching credibility. That first half was one of our worst displays of last season, not helped by conceding a goal that was way offside. To me it was a show of his ability as a manager that he did something radical that changed the game around. You honestly think that he had never considered playing 5 at the back before that occasion and that he just thought, Well, let’s give this ago’? It’s a decision that shows he can be reactive and that proves your argument is wrong, yet you use it as a stick to beat him with.
I can guarantee that, although at the moment, the heat is off, given a run of poor results, all of the ‘Robins is crap’ posts will start again, totally disregarding all he has achieved.

Danceswithhorses

I know it goes against us (but I'm confident we're safe) , but I'd like a Rotherham win tomorrow to see the sheer panic on the Derby forum.
Well said that man (y)
Derby must be run so badly.
Their wage bill is surely right up near the top of the Championship, yet they're still such a poor side.
They've gambled on promotion and failed so many times, that now they're just a basket case.
They sold their stadium to their owner to circumvent overspending rules.
They paid Shrek a bumper salary, originally as player/manager (cough....Terry Butcher).
They also failed to pay their player's salaries, then a short time later sign 4 players on deadline day (i think?)

We, on a mere fraction of their budget, and even with huge injury problems, have been ahead of them for the majority of the season and are now 5 points ahead with a game in hand, at the butt clenching end of season.
Rotherham are very similar to us...just a low budget club trying to do our best with limited resources.

Consequently imho, Derby actually deserve to go down...and so i will be hoping for a Rotherham win.

Irish Sky Blue

No that was me - I’ll hold my hands up to it.

I had doubts he was the man to keep us up this season before Bristol. He then proceeded to do exactly what I said he wouldn’t. Like I’ve said I held my hands up.

I do have my concerns about whether he’s reached his level. He’s definitely a manager who sticks with his own plans regardless of whether they work or not.

It depends if we want to move forward. I think this is a ceiling for Robins. I like that we’ve improved year on end. I like our model.

It’s about constant improvement. He’s back at the Ricoh next year, but obviously this league is a different animal to league one. We’ve got to look at settling ourselves in the 15-18 place over the next couple of seasons, and then reassess. The last thing we want to do is start stagnating like we did originally and to an extent Ipswich.

The club always has to look forward
If you look at the way we have played in the last two games, the tactics used were totally different to the way we played at the start of the season. We played ugly football, particularly against Barnsley, to get the results we needed. He was criticised during our 9 game unbeaten run earlier this season because we were too negative, but he had changed tactics around so that we weren’t shipping the goals that we had in the first 9 or so games. It isn’t as if we have a way of playing and it never changes, we have changed tactics and formations all season.
You say you think he may have reached his level in the Championship, but you don’t take into account the other factors that govern what he can do, achieve, not least finances? Unless those circumstances change it will be hard to see us breaking through the mid table barrier. If we are able to compete without flirting with relegation over the next few seasons then I will feel that he will have done a fantastic job.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

This is a re-writing of history to suit your own arguments.
The injury to Jones, who was our leading scorer and assist provider was a huge blow, particularly as it happened reasonably early in that season. It was an injury which severely restricted us as an attacking force. There was no immediate upturn in fortunes due to enforced tactical change after the Jones injury. We still trundled along on the fringes of the play off group in the way that we had all season. By common consent the real turning point, and the game which did signal an upturn in fortunes was the draw at Mansfield, much later on.
To say he ‘accidentally‘ changed things at half time against Fleetwood is really stretching credibility. That first half was one of our worst displays of last season, not helped by conceding a goal that was way offside. To me it was a show of his ability as a manager that he did something radical that changed the game around. You honestly think that he had never considered playing 5 at the back before that occasion and that he just thought, Well, let’s give this ago’? It’s a decision that shows he can be reactive and that proves your argument is wrong, yet you use it as a stick to beat him with.
I can guarantee that, although at the moment, the heat is off, given a run of poor results, all of the ‘Robins is crap’ posts will start again, totally disregarding all he has achieved.
We weren’t playing well when Jones got injured, who scored 4 out of 5 goals in the first 6 games. our ultimate top scorer was floundering, we were struggling to score

Following Jones injury and change to 4-3-3, whilst we were getting used to a new formation McNulty was starting to score regularly. If we carried on with a fit Jones, whilst he was playing well i don’t think we’d have made the play offs (all hypothetical of course)

Going into that fleetwood, our luck appeared to be running out and we were 4 games without a win (only one we deserved to win was tranmere) The Rotherham and MK Dons games were horrendous.

Still of course I’m happy he got it right each time. Maybe he’s a lucky manager. They’re always better than a good manager

Otis

Yup. Not nervous at all.

Remember, after today Derby have Birmingham and Rotherham still have to play Barnsley and Brentford.

Plus, as we know, Derby have Sheff Weds last game too.

I am not in the least bit worried. Like I say, we may already have enough points. I do however feel certain 2 more would put it beyond any doubt whatsoever.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

If you look at the way we have played in the last two games, the tactics used were totally different to the way we played at the start of the season. We played ugly football, particularly against Barnsley, to get the results we needed. He was criticised during our 9 game unbeaten run earlier this season because we were too negative, but he had changed tactics around so that we weren’t shipping the goals that we had in the first 9 or so games. It isn’t as if we have a way of playing and it never changes, we have changed tactics and formations all season.
You say you think he may have reached his level in the Championship, but you don’t take into account the other factors that govern what he can do, achieve, not least finances? Unless those circumstances change it will be hard to see us breaking through the mid table barrier. If we are able to compete without flirting with relegation over the next few seasons then I will feel that he will have done a fantastic job.
No I get that. But we should still be looking to establish ourselves in the next 2-3 seasons. There’s no reason to say with clever player trading and innovative ideas we can be up there with Brentford and do what Barnsley have done.

Again we shouldn’t have to just accept relegation battlers. Constant improvement would also make us more interesting to outside investors

SleepyGinger

We weren’t playing well when Jones got injured, who scored 4 out of 5 goals in the first 6 games. our ultimate top scorer was floundering, we were struggling to score

Following Jones injury and change to 4-3-3, whilst we were getting used to a new formation McNulty was starting to score regularly. If we carried on with a fit Jones, whilst he was playing well i don’t think we’d have made the play offs (all hypothetical of course)

Going into that fleetwood, our luck appeared to be running out and we were 4 games without a win (only one we deserved to win was tranmere) The Rotherham and MK Dons games were horrendous.

Still of course I’m happy he got it right each time. Maybe he’s a lucky manager. They’re always better than a good manager
Isn’t that what a good manager does though? We were looking flat and out of ideas before and during that fleetwood game and he made the changes to win the game and eventually win the league. Not sure how that’s lucky.

DannyThomas_1981

Yeah, I do agree with all of that. But it would just be a typical 'Coventry thing' for us to go down from this position. if there's one club that could do it, it's us.

I'm 95% sure we'll stay up...just nervous.

All part of being a City fan weeman! I was 95% convinced that Ryan Giles would spectacularly score against us in the Rotherham game - it was written in the stars as soon as he walked onto the pitch. For those that remember - a reverse Mick Ferguson type of situation.

Thankfully I was wrong!

Irish Sky Blue

No I get that. But we should still be looking to establish ourselves in the next 2-3 seasons. There’s no reason to say with clever player trading and innovative ideas we can be up there with Brentford and do what Barnsley have done.

Again we shouldn’t have to just accept relegation battlers. Constant improvement would also make us more interesting to outside investors
I agree with most of that. I think that Barnsley have shown you can, sometimes, defy the odds.It will be interesting to see if they can do the same again next season if they don't m
get promotion this time Brentford, with their own new stadium and a transfer policy that has netted them millions, I still think are way ahead of where we are.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I agree with most of that. I think that Barnsley have shown you can, sometimes, defy the odds.It will be interesting to see if they can do the same again next season if they don't m
get promotion this time Brentford, with their own new stadium and a transfer policy that has netted them millions, I still think are way ahead of where we are.
Definitely I’m not saying I want top 6 next season. But it’s something with our model we can aim for.

I want improvement, the next goal is over the next 3 years becoming established, which I feel is more than reasonable. We can at least expect that

Irish Sky Blue

We'll have to agree to disagree. As the ultimate aim that season was promotion and (as with this season) lengthy injuries to key players, Jones, McNullty and Kelly severely hampered what he could do, I think he did really well.
Just remember the juggernaut we had become in the seasons before he came back, the incredible negativity around the club.
Despite all of that, and despite two years at St Andrews, he now has us almost safe for another year in the Championship.
Year on year improvement in league position and yet we are still told he is crap, doesn't know what he is doing and needs replacing.
I honestly just don't get what more he could have done to please some people.

Speedies_Chips

Yup. Not nervous at all.

Remember, after today Derby have Birmingham and Rotherham still have to play Barnsley and Brentford.

Plus, as we know, Derby have Sheff Weds last game too.

I am not in the least bit worried. Like I say, we may already have enough points. I do however feel certain 2 more would put it beyond any doubt whatsoever.
I can't see us getting 2 points tonight.

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree that Robins is good at having his teams adapt, but he often has to be forced into it. Our most successful tactic in any given season is rarely the one we set out to play at the start.

If he was truly stubborn then he would be more likely to fit what players he has available to the same system.

I get the impression a lot of people on here think you can just change systems and styles of play at the drop of a beat. You need some consistency of tactics and systems or players will be all over the place.

This season we’ve played the following formations, off the top of my head:
5-3-2
5-2-1-2 (AM behind 2 strikers)
5-2-2-1 (the box)
3-6-1 / 5-4-1 (whatever you’d call it)
4-2-3-1
4-1-2-1-2

If anything, Robins has been comparatively changed things a bit too often.

Brighton Sky Blue

We'll have to agree to disagree. As the ultimate aim that season was promotion and (as with this season) lengthy injuries to key players, Jones, McNullty and Kelly severely hampered what he could do, I think he did really well.
Just remember the juggernaut we had become in the seasons before he came back, the incredible negativity around the club.
Despite all of that, and despite two years at St Andrews, he now has us almost safe for another year in the Championship.
Year on year improvement in league position and yet we are still told he is crap, doesn't know what he is doing and needs replacing.
I honestly just don't get what more he could have done to please some people.

The bigger difference is the toxic atmosphere that was around between the club and fans was reversed. Now despite the occasional taxi thread I think there is a lot more unity behind the team

NortonSkyBlue

The bigger difference is the toxic atmosphere that was around between the club and fans was reversed. Now despite the occasional taxi thread I think there is a lot more unity behind the team
I would agree with that to a large extent. I believe that negativity is still there and a mistrust with the club owners but the team and the fans have earned some latitude, and maybe/maybe not, so have the owners?

Brighton Sky Blue

I would agree with that to a large extent. I believe that negativity is still there and a mistrust with the club owners but the team and the fans have earned some latitude, and maybe/maybe not, so have the owners?

With the owners yes, but with the playing side it’s a lot healthier. Thinking of games like that cup tie vs Stoke where it genuinely felt like everyone there was urging the side on.

sylus

i believe warnock has a soft spot for Rotherham and would not be surprised if they win tonight, just my thought of course

Users who are viewing this thread