Tony Mowbray - Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Sterling Archer

I said before today's game that regardless of today's result, I'm not sure Mowbray is the right choice for what we need. He's only really succeeded one season and that was with Middlesbrough.

The Telegraph have been pushing him as the saviour but I'm not sure he's the right man, I want him to be but there's just something nagging.

12 games in, 4 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats before today's game is an OK record. Or is it? Are the players still not playing to the sum of their parts or are they just really not very good? I've been told on many an occasion that we have a squad with the 7th highest budget (wages) in the league but maybe they aren't good signings or maybe we've now got two managers who cannot get the best out of them?

The same form (prior to today's game) over the season would see us with approximately 61 Points, mid table in League One.

12 goals scored in those 12 games harks back to the full Coleman days but if he's just doing the necessary to keep us in the division, that's fine by me. I still like to think we should be ambitious enough to want to see us score more goals and win more games in League One.

What's more worrying is not being able to shake this awful home record of ours.

He has my full support whilst in charge and he is comfortably the "biggest name" we could've attracted but I'd have rather us gone for someone succeeding in League Two or possibly conference. I guess the experiences of Adams, Dowie, Boothroyd (a promotion under their belt before falling badly) has scarred me but I see Mowbray's career as being very similar to the aforementioned names.

Maybe it is the players? Maybe he's the best we could've got? Maybe I'm just sick and tired of accepting below mediocrity? Maybe I'm sick and tired of the Telegraph painting him as the messiah (he's not, he's a very naughty boy).

I do pray the usual buffoons don't misread this and think I want him sacked, far from it, just instigating some debate.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Samo

You're having a giraffe mate, we are a L1 club (hopefully). We are bloody lucky to have a manager of his caliber.

Sterling Archer

But he's not really done anything bar one promotion with West Brom? Is that his the calibre? Similar to Dowie, Boothroyd, Phil Brown etc?

I can just see a pattern. I want him to succeed but I feel that Pressley's poor ending has blurred a few opinions.

... and if we go down, would people want him to stay?

Like I said, I wanted us to go for a lower league manager starting out with a bit of success behind, rather than the name who succeeded 5 or so years ago and has been poor since (and still living off that one season).

I don't think the change so far since Pressley has been good enough to warrant the worship nature some have given him, especially that of the Telegraph.

Sterling Archer

It's a good question and i'd need to do a bit more research but off the top of my head:

Hasselbaink - Burton, doing a cracking job in his managerial outing.

Micky Mellon - Turned it round at Shrewsbury since getting full control after being assistant manager at Barnsley and was unfairly sacked at Fleetwood after 2 promotions in 3 seasons.

I look at someone like Birmingham and Rowett, what a cracking job he's done despite many turning their nose up because he wasn't "a name".

Sterling Archer

16 points and 13 goals from 13 games now, 57 points.

In fairness, it isn't his team but like I said, I can't believe he is being put on a pedestal by some.

Gazolba

No manager is going to have great success with our squad. It's rotten to the core. We can only get one shot in 10 on target never mind actually scoring. And once we go behind, we fold like a pack of cards.

Sterling Archer

I think it's too easy to blame the players. He's had 12 games now and on paper those players have done far better at other clubs. Conversely, what could he do with the same amount of wage budget in this league that Pressley had?

Colour me sceptical.

stupot07

It's all gone downhill since samuels got injured. He's been the only genuine goalscorer all season, the rest of the strikers are a pile of gash,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

pusbccfc

He hasn't been amazing.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He's improved the team, its not great but we'd already be relegated had we stuck with Pressley. I'm waiting to see what players he signs in the summer.

armybike

Mowbray on the defeat "It was frustrating and disappointing, but it was a learning curve. We've got to prepare for a huge game next week"

Moff

I said before today's game that regardless of today's result, I'm not sure Mowbray is the right choice for what we need. He's only really succeeded one season and that was with Middlesbrough.

The Telegraph have been pushing him as the saviour but I'm not sure he's the right man, I want him to be but there's just something nagging.

12 games in, 4 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats before today's game is an OK record. Or is it? Are the players still not playing to the sum of their parts or are they just really not very good? I've been told on many an occasion that we have a squad with the 7th highest budget (wages) in the league but maybe they aren't good signings or maybe we've now got two managers who cannot get the best out of them?

The same form (prior to today's game) over the season would see us with approximately 61 Points, mid table in League One.

12 goals scored in those 12 games harks back to the full Coleman days but if he's just doing the necessary to keep us in the division, that's fine by me. I still like to think we should be ambitious enough to want to see us score more goals and win more games in League One.

What's more worrying is not being able to shake this awful home record of ours.

He has my full support whilst in charge and he is comfortably the "biggest name" we could've attracted but I'd have rather us gone for someone succeeding in League Two or possibly conference. I guess the experiences of Adams, Dowie, Boothroyd (a promotion under their belt before falling badly) has scarred me but I see Mowbray's career as being very similar to the aforementioned names.

Maybe it is the players? Maybe he's the best we could've got? Maybe I'm just sick and tired of accepting below mediocrity? Maybe I'm sick and tired of the Telegraph painting him as the messiah (he's not, he's a very naughty boy).

I do pray the usual buffoons don't misread this and think I want him sacked, far from it, just instigating some debate.

Thoughts?

Sterling, with regard to your thoughts, its a well written and honest post, and sadly as you suspected some people have misread what is actually honest debate.

In light of what you wrote, i also have some worries, but dont know if this is to do with Mowbray, or me just reflective of the parlous state we are in, and the lack of quality in our team, which is frankly full of a lot of shite.

He has certainly improved things since Pressley, and we are playing better more attacking football so that is a positive from me. Negative is that we are still extremely poor on occasion, constantly make basic errors, and are still infuriatingly inconsistent. Of this I think its majorly down to the state of the squad and the quality of the players, rather than on Mowbrays shoulders, although as manager he should be trying to curb this problem and although away results are hugely improved our home form is still dross.

I would like to see him stay, be given an amount of money to spend so that he can build and shape his own team, and hope to see things improve from there. I hope to see a push on the top six next season or at least see the team give a good go at it, and think that is the least we deserve. I hope Mowbray can do that because as CCFC fans for once we deserve some good fortune and some success.

Grendel

I think it's too easy to blame the players. He's had 12 games now and on paper those players have done far better at other clubs. Conversely, what could he do with the same amount of wage budget in this league that Pressley had?

Colour me sceptical.

Actually the real problem is the Ricoh. We cannot win games here.

skybluedan

Colour me sceptical.

We are cov mate whoever comes in will be shit and if by the chance they might be ok within 2 years they will be shit and on said scrap heap , it's what we do

rupert_bear

What a joke of a post how can the manager, any manager come to that be responsible for that display from individuals suposedly proffesional footballers

Hobo

It's a good question and i'd need to do a bit more research but off the top of my head:

Hasselbaink - Burton, doing a cracking job in his managerial outing.

Micky Mellon - Turned it round at Shrewsbury since getting full control after being assistant manager at Barnsley and was unfairly sacked at Fleetwood after 2 promotions in 3 seasons.

I look at someone like Birmingham and Rowett, what a cracking job he's done despite many turning their nose up because he wasn't "a name".

Burton have risen due to astute managerial appointments, Nigel Clough, Paul Peschisolido, Gary Rowett and now Hasselbank all building on what has been put in place before.

I would add to your list Justin Edinburgh.

I think Mowbray has done alright, even if he hasn't achieved some of the over realistic predictions when he arrived. I am not defending Pressley or suggesting he should not have been sacked (he certainly shouldn't have been give a four year contract) when I say some of the criticism of him if not justified was at least speculative.

I just hope we get the result we need next week and then let's see what the future brings, I have never been confident it will be Tony Mowbray.

NorthernWisdom

Burton have risen due to astute managerial appointments, Nigel Clough, Paul Peschisolido, Gary Rowett and now Hasselbank all building on what has been put in place before.

Yup (although maybe not Peschisolido!) the infrastructure's been put in place to cope with a manager bogging off.

I think Mowbray has done alright, even if he hasn't achieved some of the over realistic predictions when he arrived. I am not defending Pressley or suggesting he should not have been sacked (he certainly shouldn't have been give a four year contract) when I say some of the criticism of him if not justified was at least speculative.

Also yup. As I said when Mowbray was in God mode, he's had a new manager bounce effect, I'd like him to stay... still yet to be convinced he's the second coming though. Think we need to reign in expectaions a bit.

Hobo

Yup (although maybe not Peschisolido!) the infrastructure's been put in place to cope with a manager bogging off.

Also yup. As I said when Mowbray was in God mode, he's had a new manager bounce effect, I'd like him to stay... still yet to be convinced he's the second coming though. Think we need to reign in expectaions a bit.

Peschisolido, started well and Rowett was his assistant, so they at least got some continuity. Yes managers will leave and be poached just like players.

So so the key is how the club is set up and the infrastructure to support the staff. If people think one man is going to come in and turn our history around they are mistaken. We need several teams, pitch training ground, commercial....you need more than a bump factor.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Mowbray needs a chance to bring in some of his own players. I can't quite believe some are criticising his after - match speeches. Do we want the type of crap we got from Pressley or a realistic assessment ? Mowbray needs the summer to take stock and then get going again. He will by now know what's needed but can do little about it until the end of the season.

Hobo

Mowbray needs a chance to bring in some of his own players. I can't quite believe some are criticising his after - match speeches. Do we want the type of crap we got from Pressley or a realistic assessment ? Mowbray needs the summer to take stock and then get going again. He will by now know what's needed but can do little about it until the end of the season.

I agree Mowbray hasn't had a proper crack of the whip and many of our fans had stupid optimism levels when he arrived.

Better home performances would have seen him home and dry and some early planning scope. Whether we win or lose against Crawley I am not convinced he will get across the line with our owners.

But I sincerely hope we are in league 1 this time next Saturday...I would like to see Mowbray given the chance.

RegTheDonk

I don't think you can blame the Ricoh at all!

I dunno mate, it has to be a factor, but why? Stage fright (with our gates!!??) The expectation of winning because its at home? The fans booing or groaning?

If it's any of those then that's down to the player's mental strengths, not the Ricoh itself. They are weak minded.

Maybe they should blame the pitch.

Hobo

I dunno mate, it has to be a factor, but why? Stage fright (with our gates!!??) The expectation of winning because its at home? The fans booing or groaning?

If it's any of those then that's down to the player's mental strengths, not the Ricoh itself. They are weak minded.

Maybe they should blame the pitch.

you are knocking on the door with mental strengths read my posts on Verdictict on today thread....they should see the opportunity 28000 at the start....13000 today big crowds at this level....these players either want it or they dont

Moff

Hypothetically speaking, If (and it's a huge if) we do go down, what would people want to see happen?

Public execution of Joy, Waggott and Fisher in Broadgate. Get Presssley in to commentate and witter on about it being in their DNA, that they are complete and utter helmets at running a football club. In fact fuck it, throw in that twat Richardson the owner of Wasps and Eastwood his CEO as well..

On a serious note, I cannot honestly fathom what will happen if we go down, re budgets, players, manager and what the hell SISU will do as well. It doesnt bode well........

Grendel

Public execution of Joy, Waggott and Fisher in Broadgate. Get Presssley in to commentate and witter on about it being in their DNA, that they are complete and utter helmets at running a football club. In fact fuck it, throw in that twat Richardson the owner of Wasps and Eastwood his CEO as well..

On a serious note, I cannot honestly fathom what will happen if we go down, re budgets, players, manager and what the hell SISU will do as well. It doesnt bode well........

To make matters worse there are strong suggestions wasps are going to significantly hike match day costs next season regardless of the league we are in.

Astute

Colour me sceptical.

Too easy to blame the players? I suppose you could be right. It isn't their fault that they are not good enough.

They have had all season to do something. They have been a lot more positive with TM. Look at the Bristol game. We were unlucky not to win. We have done much better with TM than SP. If we would have had TM all season we wouldn't be as low down as we are now. And if he had a chance to choose the players I can't see any of our present squad that SP brought in being brought in by TM. Hopefully he will still be with us next season and will be able to bring in his own players.

chiefdave

To make matters worse there are strong suggestions wasps are going to significantly hike match day costs next season regardless of the league we are in.

You must have that wrong

Ann Lucas said:
This deal would not have happened if it threatened the future of the Sky Blues or Coventry Rugby Club

Users who are viewing this thread