Villa anyone? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I think this shows what will start happening to cov fans if they want to see top level of football in the near future.

We aren't a top level team though, I wish we were but we aren't so to say people will start going to watch villa to watch top level football is bad :(

Hobo

I am sorry but if you are truly Sky Blue you'd never set foot in Villa park no matter the circumstances.

So you have never been to Villa Park even to follow City? Because you said no matter the circumstances?

Nick

Administrator
You must have. Most kids like myself only went to Highfield Road when we were old enough.
If you didn't go you just watched it on the telly and picked your team and that was usually the one that won the league that year.
My brothers was Derby County because they won the league when he was 10 and mine were Liverpool and Man United for similar reasons.
To be honest I still see these 2 teams as the ones I support when I watch on TV.
However we both see Coventry as our first team, although my brother stopped going altogether this season and I'm only doing away matches.
When you went to your first match that sets you for life and Coventry was our first match.
I seem more interested in PL this season and hope Liverpool win it.
Next season .... Up the Reds ??/

I must admit although as a kid I used to watch any football I could, I would never support anybody else and still only supported CCFC.

RoboCCFC90

So you have never been to Villa Park even to follow City? Because you said no matter the circumstances?

I saw City at Villa park once, that once was painful enough for me, to leave a ten year old in tears :(

Hobo

Lets not turn this into another sixfields thread..... Boring and it is the same old...

It's been a Sixfields thread from the first post Nick!

Nick

Administrator
It's been a Sixfields thread from the first post Nick!

Yes but I meant people just coming in and posting " I will never go to sixfields" or "Everybody should go to sixfields else they arent a fan" blah blah!

italiahorse

I am sorry but if you are truly Sky Blue you'd never set foot in Villa park no matter the circumstances.

36 years following Cov home and away and because I used my daughters season ticket for Villa Vs ManU game I'm not a true Sky Blue. :thinking about:

RoboCCFC90

Yeah, we did tend to lose on most occassions.

Not always when I saw City play them, for instance during the 99/00 season we beat them 2-1, Robbie Keane scored one and for the life of me I can't remember the second goal scorer.

RoboCCFC90

36 years following Cov home and away and because I used my daughters season ticket for Villa Vs ManU game I'm not a true Sky Blue. :thinking about:

Coventry-protest-5789162.jpg

Do we think this is acceptable as well?

Hobo

Never come across that - most supported other clubs and stayed supporting other clubs.

I know loads of kids, including me, who supported other teams when they were 7-10 years. Once they were old enough to to Highfield Road support for Coventry took over.

Not all kids grow up with football loving parents who feel duty bound to take them to games.

RoboCCFC90

Not sure I actually want to know, but what did you do to the ten year old, mate?!?!

What happened to him will live long in his memory that's for sure.

Nick

Administrator
Keep this on topic about people going to Villa rather than sixfields before this thread ends up getting locked too!

italiahorse

And into Sixfields?

I personally don't think it's acceptable because IMHO it is either supporting Sisu plan to either get the Ricoh on the cheap or for a new inferior stadium.

But I can't decide the criteria for a true Sky Blue fan. Perhaps one who supports the team in some way and respects other fans for supporting in their way.

Hobo

And into Sixfields?

It's nothing to do with being true sky blue whether you don't go in or whether you do go in. Going to or boycotting Sixfields is an individual choice, based on the individuals take on our current situation. The choice to go will be based on a range of reasons depending on the individual. Just like those that stay away will have made the decision for a whole range of reasons too.

Grendel

The whole basis of this thread seems to be that if the club stays away support will go elsewhere

The example of going to see a team nearly as far away is odd.

There is no evidence to suggest it won't be business as normal when the club return. Brighton is valid as the ground had a huge restriction and over 10,000 fans would not have seen their team for more than a decade. They came back straight away.

The logic would also say Mk dons would never have had a club as allegiances to other teams would already have been formed.

mrbluesky87

The whole basis of this thread seems to be that if the club stays away support will go elsewhere

The example of going to see a team nearly as far away is odd.

There is no evidence to suggest it won't be business as normal when the club return. Brighton is valid as the ground had a huge restriction and over 10,000 fans would not have seen their team for more than a decade. They came back straight away.

The logic would also say Mk dons would never have had a club as allegiances to other teams would already have been formed.

Fair point but I would have to say I would go back after 10 years but my lads wouldnt, they are already losing interest, therefore we will lose a generation of support which could be damaging. I also dont accept the fact that would be my fault as Nick stated earlier, what crap. My lads are growing up and think for themselves thank you very much, they will be 20 and 18 in 10 years time but hey it would be my fault if they didnt go back to watch Cov. The fault of this will be very much attributed to SISU/ACL but mainly SISU.

Nick

Administrator
Fair point but I would have to say I would go back after 10 years but my lads wouldnt, they are already losing interest, therefore we will lose a generation of support which could be damaging. I also dont accept the fact that would be my fault as Nick stated earlier, what crap. My lads are growing up and think for themselves thank you very much, they will be 20 and 18 in 10 years time but hey it would be my fault if they didnt go back to watch Cov. The fault of this will be very much attributed to SISU/ACL but mainly SISU.

No, as they are adults not kids. I meant young kids.

Monners

Agreed mate. My eldest has been to the Ricoh a few times, the lad has yet to go and would be about the right age now. He has shown interest recently, particularly when he watched some of th Arsenal game. I asked if he wanted to go and he said no - he may change his mind. I don't really think it is my place to push my interests onto them, but to nurture their own. If this involves Cov then all well and good. They both like cricket, so we will go and watch that together come the summer.

torchomatic

And by saying it's not acceptable for fans to go into Sixfields then you're not showing respect to fans who are "supporting in their way", are you? I'm sure that's different though. :whistle:

But I can't decide the criteria for a true Sky Blue fan. Perhaps one who supports the team in some way and respects other fans for supporting in their way.

mrbluesky87

No, as they are adults not kids. I meant young kids.

Yes but Nick the point was they are 10 and 8 now, they are very much at an encouragable age. The point you are missing is that when I was at school and surrounded by Man U and Liverpool fans etc I didnt care because I was able to watch my home team every other week, it was fun, it was addictive. What have my lads got???? and before anyone mentions going away, thats not as easy for people.

The man of the cloth and his lady are in fact my mum and dad, seriously they are.

They are both major coventry fans with their old highfield road seats set up outside in the back garden.

My mum has been telling me for weeks she will wear her cov shirt under her coat when she goes.
I think this shows what will start happening to cov fans if they want to see top level of football in the near future.

I've told them they are mad going but the reply I got back from them both was ' least we will see the villa get stuffed'

You should have referred your parents to a certain section of the Lord's Prayer...."And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil" !!!

Personally, I'd rather poke my eyes out with rusty nails (almost biblical) than pop along to watch Villa in a "neutral" match. Don't mind watching the odd neutral match on the telly, but generally can't really get that excited about them.

The Gentleman

Coventry-protest-5789162.jpg

Do we think this is acceptable as well?

I wasn't going to post about you on this thread again but your stupidity seems to know no bounds. Do you realise what you are doing, YOU say in YOUR first quote you are not a 'True Sky Blue' if you go into Villa Park. So on that basis are you any different to these two blokes?

RoboCCFC90

I wasn't going to post about you on this thread again but your stupidity seems to know no bounds. Do you realise what you are doing, YOU say in YOUR first quote you are not a 'True Sky Blue' if you go into Villa Park. So on that basis are you any different to these two blokes?

No I am no different, it probably isn't acceptable in some people's eyes what I said and that's fair enough, if you're offended by it speak to a moderator, there are quite a few people who say that they would not watch a neutral game at Villa Park and I agree with them.

Changeyourface

A Villa game is never going to be a neutral game for a Cov fan though is it. Wouldn't be able to sit in the home end, couldn't help myself from celebrating if they conceded.

Hobo

A Villa game is never going to be a neutral game for a Cov fan though is it. Wouldn't be able to sit in the home end, couldn't help myself from celebrating if they conceded.
I've been in the Holte End watching Coventry. Home ends at Everton and Wolves. Depends who you are with and how you celebrate I suppose. But I've never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread