Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (4 Viewers)

Paxman II

Time for a win to progress the early season. I'd put Sako in place of a striker. Or perhaps palmer starts there.

skyblue025

Yeah, looking forward but not to driving back. We have parking in the Asda next to the ground, so at least we won't have to drive around for a parking spot, which can be pretty stressful, particularly when running late.
I thought that was for 2 hours only?

SkyblueTexan

Take a draw but need to pick up away wins if serious about a auto challenge.

Come on city
Auto? I’d snap your hands off for a playoff place at the rate we’ve picked up points lately.

Hutch11

They were fairly impressive against an admittedly poor swansea , hopefully they have a hangover after their cup final

CovLad94

Think Palmer will come in for Ayari, Simms for Wright. Can see Binks keeping his spot, another tough game think we may just edge it surely not another draw

Boicey

But in the end Robin's has 3 absolute favourites Godden, Palmer and Allen. He will be gagging to play them together.

BlueSkiesForever

We've got to use the squad tonight. It's a strength.
And if Sakamoto comes in play him in a more attacking role.
100%, I’m sick of seeing Saka remain on the bench when it seems obvious to me he either should have started or come on for Palmer/Ayari etc, obviously Robins knows best but at times I do wonder what’s going on in that head of his 😂 It’s like we score one goal and then gradually start sitting back for the rest of the game, don’t take the initiative to go and put it to bed and then inevitably end up conceding as we’ve invited all the pressure back on us.
I really think we should start seeing something different because it’s getting a bit long in the tooth seeing the same old formation when we’re drawing every week. I realise a point is a point and fair enough we’ve not been defeated in a long time so there are positives but we do need to start winning games and stop being so cautious and tentative with our passing, move the ball forwards rather than sideways. I think Saka will be itching to show what he can do, really think we should make use of him a lot more.

skybluecam

100%, I’m sick of seeing Saka remain on the bench when it seems obvious to me he either should have started or come on for Palmer/Ayari etc, obviously Robins knows best but at times I do wonder what’s going on in that head of his 😂 It’s like we score one goal and then gradually start sitting back for the rest of the game, don’t take the initiative to go and put it to bed and then inevitably end up conceding as we’ve invited all the pressure back on us.
I really think we should start seeing something different because it’s getting a bit long in the tooth seeing the same old formation when we’re drawing every week. I realise a point is a point and fair enough we’ve not been defeated in a long time so there are positives but we do need to start winning games and stop being so cautious and tentative with our passing, move the ball forwards rather than sideways. I think Saka will be itching to show what he can do, really think we should make use of him a lot more.
I've not been convinced by him when he's played centrally. He looks great offensively on the wing but a bit lost in the "10" role.

BlueSkiesForever

I've not been convinced by him when he's played centrally. He looks great offensively on the wing but a bit lost in the "10" role.
Yeah I know what you mean, that’s the one issue with him and our system, he seems like a wingback without the “back”, he doesn’t seem to have the strength to carry out the defensive part that well compared to Van Ewijk, so he’s basically a winger but we don’t play wingers so he’s sort of lost in our team at this point. He can’t play wingback as MVE is doing a great job at that and he maybe lacks the physicality to play CAM, so it’s a tricky one. Personally I’d give him another shot as CAM if we returned to the box formation, I think having someone along side to help him might see us get the best out of him.

shmmeee

Why do they do no POTG? Just ease of staffing or in case loads turn up they can’t fit in or what?

Gint11

Ideally we need a win. Draws aren’t enough. No reason we can’t win. We won 0-1 there last season albeit with Gyko up top. They’ll be on a high from a derby win. We just need to reduce being cautious and start becoming ruthless. I think we’ve got that in us

Cov98

Definitely think we should be going with the box based on how the last few games have gone.

I'd go with Ayari and Saka in behind Wright, it's evident from last game that Palmer is going to need time to get his fitness back and I think it'll be a good chance for Saka to show what he's about. He looked promising whenever he had a cameo.

Kelly and Eccles is not something I'm thrilled about, but for 50-60 odd minutes they looked alright.. it's just where we go after that when we need a change that's the issue. Only real option I can think of is starting Kitching and Thomas and then subbing Lati on as a defensive mid? Not ideal but probably better than keeping Kelly on for 90 minutes?

BlueSkiesForever

Kelly and Eccles is not something I'm thrilled about, but for 50-60 odd minutes they looked alright.. it's just where we go after that when we need a change that's the issue. Only real option I can think of is starting Kitching and Thomas and then subbing Lati on as a defensive mid? Not ideal but probably better than keeping Kelly on for 90 minutes?
I agree, I’m down with the idea of starting Lati as defensive midfielder, I know some on here are dead against it and Robins has basically ruled it out anyway but is Lati as a defensive midfielder that much worse than Kelly or Eccles? Personally I don’t think so and Lati has the legs to last the whole game, would take a bit of adjusting but we have the defensive depth to fill in for his space at LCB/RCB, this is the sort of thing we should be trying rather than being on the back foot all the time.

There is definitely a balance to strike but we definitely need to be more forward-thinking and ruthless instead of being ultra cautious about everything.

Cov98

I agree, I’m down with the idea of starting Lati as defensive midfielder, I know some on here are dead against it and Robins has basically ruled it out anyway but is Lati as a defensive midfielder that much worse than Kelly or Eccles? Personally I don’t think so and Lati has the legs to last the whole game, would take a bit of adjusting but we have the defensive depth to fill in for his space at LCB/RCB, this is the sort of thing we should be trying rather than being on the back foot all the time.

There is definitely a balance to strike but we definitely need to be more forward-thinking and ruthless instead of being ultra cautious about everything.
That was my thinking too. Lati can play the whole game at DM if he needs to, has the pace on Kelly and we have a solid selection of defenders.
It's either that or starting with Kelly and Eccles and then after 60 odd minutes having a midfield of Eccles and Allen.. which is definitely not going to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread