Walsall (Away) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

James Smith

Just watched the goals on the dreadful Channel 5 show. Burge not great for the first goal and very unlucky for the second. Murphy had a fabulous strike and I hope he can keep coming up with them all season.

covcity4life

Just rewatches the 1st again..burge got down well enuff then sumhow manged to avoid touching the ball

I fear this ain't gonna work out over course of a season

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Seen the goals. Think we've been done by another Lino for the second. Good finish and Burge probably wouldn't have saved the second had he not had a man in front of him, but how the lad in front of him didn't get flagged for interfering I'll never know!

Rusty Trombone

Seen the goals. Think we've been done by another Lino for the second. Good finish and Burge probably wouldn't have saved the second had he not had a man in front of him, but how the lad in front of him didn't get flagged for interfering I'll never know!

Unless there was anyone out of screen, then surely it was offside under the new rules. Didn't look like anyone complained though.

stupot07

Where the hell was Reda for the first?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

I just knew it would all end up as Burge's fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

letsallsingtogether

Just watched MOTD and Big Sam just said the second most important position is the Goalkeeper?
Didn't go today so I can't comment on the performances, but hey it is only one game and on another day we might have won......

PUSB keep the Faith

covcity4life

Where the hell was Reda for the first?!

Always Diss Reda but then try to make out s thread is anti someone else. Very weird stupot.

I imagine mowbray has given him reign to close down more as a cb. Prob wants ricketts to cover. In this case not close enuff and it didn't work

As for burge he's kinda flapped at first one and I dunno how he's j lucky for second. He's parried it right into middle of box. It's a serious position that needs looking into

Home be southend next. Hopefully he won't have much to do and can get his confidence going again

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Unless there was anyone out of screen, then surely it was offside under the new rules. Didn't look like anyone complained though.
He has to make an attempt to play it I think to be offside, if it goes past him and he makes obvious movement to play it then its offside regardless of whether he touches the ball or not. Since the Walsall player makes no attempt to play the ball, not offside I believe.

tbh the officials just make up the offside rule as they go now it seems, the Benteke goal the other week should have clearly been disallowed and was given.

Nick

Administrator
Yes but you can't stand in front of the keeper on a direct free kick for example can you?

stupot07

Always Diss Reda but then try to make out s thread is anti someone else. Very weird stupot.

I imagine mowbray has given him reign to close down more as a cb. Prob wants ricketts to cover. In this case not close enuff and it didn't work

As for burge he's kinda flapped at first one and I dunno how he's j lucky for second. He's parried it right into middle of box. It's a serious position that needs looking into

Home be southend next. Hopefully he won't have much to do and can get his confidence going again

1) I don't always diss Reda.

2) and for the first he pressed then continued to press into midfield / no mans land for a centre back and the ball gets played through to a player running in the space between Ricketts and stokes where Reda should be. After the first press of the forward he should be getting back into position. Sorry that's poor positional play. Nothing personal.

I need to see the goals again to comment on Burge.

SkyblueBazza

My take on yesterday?
In the Walsall end...SBA sounded good...but quietened far too easily once behind.
On the pitch...two teams that wanted to play good football, largely succeeding to. Was even first half. Well beaten second half. Walsall looked much more threatening in the 2nd & we could realistically have gone 3 or 4 down.
We had to lose sometime. Glad it was to a good side rather than a rubbish one.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Skybluepiglet

My take on yesterday?
In the Walsall end...SBA sounded good...but quietened far too easily once behind.
On the pitch...two teams that wanted to play good football, largely succeeding to. Was even first half. Well beaten second half. Walsall looked much more threatening in the 2nd & we could realistically have gone 3 or 4 down.
We had to lose sometime. Glad it was to a good side rather than a rubbish one.

Spot on...we deserved to beat Crewe last Tuesday ..and we did...but TBH Walsall desreved that yesterday and as you say the SBA did nothing once we went behind.

Ashdown

Spot on...we deserved to beat Crewe last Tuesday ..and we did...but TBH Walsall desreved that yesterday and as you say the SBA did nothing once we went behind.

Way too many false dawns, probably a hard dose of reality for the SBA. All that said, a much better start than I anticipated and a win against Southend and the bandwagon will be up and running again !

D

Deleted member 4439

Way too many false dawns, probably a hard dose of reality for the SBA. All that said, a much better start than I anticipated and a win against Southend and the bandwagon will be up and running again !

Just a theory, but the hard core sba would have been dispersed among the glory hunters, such that attempts to back the side fizzled out. Usually seems stronger when the usual 1K are there without the bandwagon.

skybluegod

Just a theory, but the hard core sba would have been dispersed among the glory hunters, such that attempts to back the side fizzled out. Usually seems stronger when the usual 1K are there without the bandwagon.

Have to agree, saw a lot of unfamiliar faces on Saturday and although it's good to have a big following, unless we are winning it doesn't create the same atmosphere.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Have to agree, saw a lot of unfamiliar faces on Saturday and although it's good to have a big following, unless we are winning it doesn't create the same atmosphere.

Think it showed by the, admittedly few, boos at full time. Those fans' last game was probably during our bad patch last season and they thought it would be acceptable to carry on from where they left off

H

Huckerby

Think it showed by the, admittedly few, boos at full time. Those fans' last game was probably during our bad patch last season and they thought it would be acceptable to carry on from where they left off
There were boos at full time???

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

Very sad to hear that there were boos. The team may have been outplayed by a better side on the day but I don't think the determination or commitment of the players could be faulted. I wasn't there but the feeling I get from reports is that Walsall deserved the win but I didnt hear from TM or those on here who went that we gave up or weren't interested. This is a young side that needs support and encouragement especially when things are not going their way. We have played some wonderful football in the two home games which I did see and at milwall and this is what we all want to watch but no team produces it every game. We all need to get behind the players not get on their backs PUSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oxymoron

burge looked at fault for both goals to me. slipped when coming out for the first so couldn't spread himself, and then palmed the ball right out in to a dangerous area for the second

jimmyhillsfanclub

Glory hunters? Really? Away at Walsall in a 3rd tier game?

I can just about accept some city fans being labelled as such when they suddenly fill the ricoh for a JPT regional final......but away at Walsall.....FFS....

Nick

Administrator

I can just about accept some city fans being labelled as such when they suddenly fill the ricoh for a JPT regional final......but away at Walsall.....FFS....
It's not exactly up there with the Emirates!

shmmeee

"You're not a real fan unless you go to games. This club needs fans to survive."

"You're not normally at games, you ruin the atmosphere you glory hunter!"

stupot07

Yes, bizarre comment - home crowds 11-13k, 2k went to Walsall. Young presume a good 85-90%+ At Walsall would have also attended at least 1 of the two previous home games. So where does glory hunting come into it? Odd.

rd45

Not going to use words like "glory hunter" but a bigger following did quieten the singing down. If there was was 1500 of us all behind the goal, we'd have made more noise IMO.

Might not have made much difference tho, we were outplayed.

Ashdown

Not going to use words like "glory hunter" but a bigger following did quieten the singing down. If there was was 1500 of us all behind the goal, we'd have made more noise IMO.

Might not have made much difference tho, we were outplayed.

There would have been twice as much noise as normal if the team hadn't been so outplayed and two of our best players hadn't been crocked. Seems to me that there is a handful of 'super fans' who prefer the club all to themselves at times.

rd45

That's true as well. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, but given the size/layout of their ground we were a bit spread out.

SkyblueBazza

Believe me...when the SBA sang...it was good noise...just that they were mostly quiet especially once we went 2 down. Then raised again for a short spell at 2-1...but then petered out with the realisation we were unlikely to get back into the points.
From their end at the final whistle 2/3 of the away support swarmed to the exit - with most of them making no attempt to acknowledge the players.
Bit of a shame because the effort & desire was pretty evident.

D

Deleted member 4439

turn of phase... and was making an suggestion/observation....FFS...

RegTheDonk

Glory hunting asside, that's strange .... I'd have thought the hard core would have snapped up their tickets when they become available, so would have been mostly all together in the initial three blocks?

If thats not the case, perhaps a lot of them moved once inside the ground - where I sat there were over a dozen seats, spread out, that nobody used - though 2nd half, one lad came looking for empty seats, and returned with his dad and brother. If this was indeed a sell out, either loads didn't turn up or didn't sit where they were supposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread