Walsall Match Thread (1 Viewer)

lifelongcityfan

I too thought we were very poor for most of the game. Walsall were the better side and had they had a decent striker would have won easily.
Listening to CWR, it is obvious that they and press;ey were watching a different game.
As one caller said, if this was just one game where it was like this the you could live with it, but they reality is that we havent played well for the majority of this year and the football is dour!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Walsall knocked the ball around well, just lacked up front. Stick in Madine and Nouble to that Walsall side and they would be a decent team.

stupot07

Bloody awful today. Just got back. Decent last 30 mins. Swanson added some much needed pace. We are a biggish team but no pace and adventure whatsoever

I wouldn't even say it was his pace, it's the ability to get the ball and drive at teams.

Haynes wants to run on to balls, o'brien wants to pass his way up, and fleck and finch like holding each other's hands on the half way line. We pass, stand still and admire it.

Swanson comes on, gets the ball either goes passed someone or passes and makes a forward run to receive the ball and carry it forward. So simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Kingokings204

I wouldn't even say it was his pace, it's the ability to get the ball and drive at teams.

Haynes wants to run on to balls, o'brien wants to pass his way up, and fleck and finch like holding each other's hands on the half way line. We pass, stand still and admire it.

Swanson comes on, gets the ball either goes passed someone or passes and makes a forward run to receive the ball and carry it forward. So simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yes fully agree with that. Swanson was good when he came on. Had a go and went on runs and taking people on. Nippy player.

Finch was by far the worst player on the pitch. Looked very out of depth and looked like a little kid which I know he is tbf. Just didn't tackle didn't pass well and no attacking threat so don't see it with Finch to be honest.

Fleck was just as bad and if I say so looks overweight actually. Slow and lethargic and I'm normally a fan.

Up front no pace at all. Just route 1 football and it stinks. Decent attackers but no pace and hence why our strikes on goal are low imo.

Very bad performance but I will take a point and clean sheet.

SlowerThanPlatt

"It was a really tough League One game against an in-form Walsall side," the City boss said.

"They have the best defensive record in League One and you can see why. But I thought after the opening 20 minutes we had control of the game over long periods and we certainly had the vast majority of possession and pressure.

"We worked exceptionally hard and we put them under a lot of pressure particularly in the second-half, we hit some great crosses into the box and we were very unfortunate not to win the game.

"A pleasing aspect is that we now have our third clean sheet in four games, which gives us a foundation to build on.

"Full credit to Walsall for dealing with our pressure, they worked hard to keep a clean-sheet but overall it was a reasonable performance, not a top performance. We worked hard and I think our play merited the three points."

City had what looked like a clear penalty turned down in the first-half when Gary Madine was grappled to the floor by a Saddlers defender, as the loanee was once again influential for the Sky Blues.

Pressley hailed the striker, who extended his loan stay from Sheffield Wednesday today and also reserved praise for Matthew Pennington, who made his debut just two days after signing for the club on loan from Everton.

The Scot continued: "Gary was outstanding and one of our best performers today. The link play is so important and I've said that since we lost Leon Clarke in January. Gary was a focal point and has been brilliant.

"Also young Matty coming into the side today, I thought he was outstanding. He had only trained one day with us too which is impressive as he put in a performance beyond his years.

"Again we didn't get the call on the penalty. It is another contentious decision that hasn't gone our way, but I haven't spoken to the referee about the decision. As I've said before though if you keep working hard these decisions will turn."

lifelongcityfan

"It was a really tough League One game against an in-form Walsall side," the City boss said.

"They have the best defensive record in League One and you can see why. But I thought after the opening 20 minutes we had control of the game over long periods and we certainly had the vast majority of possession and pressure.

"We worked exceptionally hard and we put them under a lot of pressure particularly in the second-half, we hit some great crosses into the box and we were very unfortunate not to win the game.

"A pleasing aspect is that we now have our third clean sheet in four games, which gives us a foundation to build on.

"Full credit to Walsall for dealing with our pressure, they worked hard to keep a clean-sheet but overall it was a reasonable performance, not a top performance. We worked hard and I think our play merited the three points."

City had what looked like a clear penalty turned down in the first-half when Gary Madine was grappled to the floor by a Saddlers defender, as the loanee was once again influential for the Sky Blues.

Pressley hailed the striker, who extended his loan stay from Sheffield Wednesday today and also reserved praise for Matthew Pennington, who made his debut just two days after signing for the club on loan from Everton.

The Scot continued: "Gary was outstanding and one of our best performers today. The link play is so important and I've said that since we lost Leon Clarke in January. Gary was a focal point and has been brilliant.

"Also young Matty coming into the side today, I thought he was outstanding. He had only trained one day with us too which is impressive as he put in a performance beyond his years.

"Again we didn't get the call on the penalty. It is another contentious decision that hasn't gone our way, but I haven't spoken to the referee about the decision. As I've said before though if you keep working hard these decisions will turn."

the most entertaining part of the week ( not!!) is listening to Pressleys post match interview...he is clearly deluded.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Don't worry, Pressley will coach that out of Swanson soon. He's managed to grind down Nouble from the exciting player we saw in the first few games here.

speedie87

I thought we were ok today the team had a better shape and balance about it and we on top for most the second half and were unlucky not to score when we had a good spell around the hour mark.

Nonleagueherewecome

Lies, excuses and hyperbole in bold.

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry Telegraph ‏@CovTel_CCFC 34m34 minutes ago We asked for your three word #SkyBlues reports earlier. We've had loads. Here is a word cloud made up of them.

B3op03LCUAI358h.jpg

Attachments

• B3op03LCUAI358h.jpg
    B3op03LCUAI358h.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 8

ccfcway

The last 5 league games is 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss (Notts County). Not too bad and could be seen as a turn-around after the 7 games w/o wins (Reda and Nouble sidelined).
But I suppose that would require a positive mind-set.

in a season where pressley expects to be challanging for promotion, we are 9 points of 6th place, and 2 points off relegation places. I am looking up, but fear falling down !!

Kingokings204

So disappointing that it would have taken such a small increase in tempo, confidence and belief to have won the game

Couldn't agree more. First half everyone said and I agree Walsall outplayed us. They did but they were crap and outplayed us. That's what hurts me. We made them look like Brazil. Really pissed me off

J

Jack Griffin

Read the last part as "dull, need clean out, poor, pressley same rubbish tactically"

Says it all for me really.

How does oomph get in?

And as tense and headache feature, why isn't nervous there? Wait a minute it is! :pointlaugh:

Gazolba

Yes fully agree with that. Swanson was good when he came on. Had a go and went on runs and taking people on. Nippy player.

That's bad news because we usually get rid of players like that. We replace them with slow, predictable players who cannot score.

speedie87

Ratings

Allsop 6 clean sheet. Had dodgy moment with a back pass first half and never looks confident
Pennington 8 motm
Webster 6 gives away needless free kicks
Martin 6 hardly noticed him
Reda 7 solid in defence got forward well and dangerous from set pieces
O'brien 7 lacked the quality and composure when required. I'd prefer him to stay out wide high up the pitch
Fleck 6 average for him
Finch 5 gives us very little going forward but is quite mobile and covers well defensively
Haynes 6 seemed to play to much inside
Madine 7 was most likely to score
Nouble 6 likes standing offside and seems to be able to go whole matches without having a shot

V15

One of the worst games of football ive seen in a long time. I will not be renewing next season.

stupot07

Allsop 7 - made a couple of good save, looks far more confident than he did earlier in the season. His kicking was a bit hit and miss
Pennington 7.5 MOTM. Played well but some poor crosses from good positions.
Webster 6 ok but poor distribution
Martin 7 got his foot in Walsall attacked. Poor distribution at times
O'brien 6 poor first half much better second. Couple of dangerous crosses.
Johnson 6.5 our best attacking outlet in the first half.
Fleck 3 worst game for us by a mile, constantly have the ball away, constantly lost tackles, little movement. (Sorry speedie 6? You're having a laugh)
Finch 3 non existent as Walsall dominated the central midfield area. No movement
Haynes 4 looked lost in midfield.
Nouble 4 poor, little movement, little desire to get involved, little quality when he did get the ball, I would not be renewing the loan in Jan.
Madine 7 worked hard, looks a proper centre forward, battles well with defenders to win the ball. Good touch and most likely to score.

Subs
Swanson - 6. Changed the game when he came on with his directness. Faded badly after 10 mins.
Jackson - n/a.

chiefdave

How does oomph get in?

And as tense and headache feature, why isn't nervous there? Wait a minute it is! :pointlaugh:

probably along the lines of need to give it more oomph.

was working yesterday and had no internet and poor mobile so couldn't really keep up with the game too well, sounds like I didn't miss much.

shmmeee

Allsop 7 - made a couple of good save, looks far more confident than he did earlier in the season. His kicking was a bit hit and miss
Pennington 7.5 MOTM. Played well but some poor crosses from good positions.
Webster 6 ok but poor distribution
Martin 7 got his foot in Walsall attacked. Poor distribution at times
O'brien 6 poor first half much better second. Couple of dangerous crosses.
Johnson 6.5 our best attacking outlet in the first half.
Fleck 3 worst game for us by a mile, constantly have the ball away, constantly lost tackles, little movement. (Sorry speedie 6? You're having a laugh)
Finch 3 non existent as Walsall dominated the central midfield area. No movement
Haynes 4 looked lost in midfield.
Nouble 4 poor, little movement, little desire to get involved, little quality when he did get the ball, I would not be renewing the loan in Jan.
Madine 7 worked hard, looks a proper centre forward, battles well with defenders to win the ball. Good touch and most likely to score.

Subs
Swanson - 6. Changed the game when he came on with his directness. Faded badly after 10 mins.
Jackson - n/a.

Little worrying that all those who got 7 or above are on short term loan.

Users who are viewing this thread