Wasps current finances & hope (3 Viewers)

duffer

Rubbish the sport is sanitised enough it certainly doesn’t need to go around following the lead of a minority sport

I agree football's certainly gone soft in terms of the wimping around, faking injuries and diving etc..

However the behaviour towards refs and linesmen is worse now than I can ever remember it. I'd be embarassed if my four-year old threw tantrums like players (and some managers) do nowadays.

There is absolutely no justification for it and it diminishes the game enormously. The ref isn't going to get everything right. My honest take on it is that the grown-up approach is to man up and get on with it, rather than bleating over every decision. In most sports, not just rugby, that's how it works; for some reason though we've come to believe that footballers are entitled to cheat or behave like someone's taken away their lollipop every time it doesn't go their way. Rugby's not perfect, but there's plenty that could be learnt from it. One thing it's not, at least on the pitch, is sanitised!

clint van damme

I agree football's certainly gone soft in terms of the wimping around, faking injuries and diving etc..

However the behaviour towards refs and linesmen is worse now than I can ever remember it. I'd be embarassed if my four-year old threw tantrums like players (and some managers) do nowadays.

There is absolutely no justification for it and it diminishes the game enormously. The ref isn't going to get everything right. My honest take on it is that the grown-up approach is to man up and get on with it, rather than bleating over every decision. In most sports, not just rugby, that's how it works; for some reason though we've come to believe that footballers are entitled to cheat or behave like someone's taken away their lollipop every time it doesn't go their way. Rugby's not perfect, but there's plenty that could be learnt from it. One thing it's not, at least on the pitch, is sanitised!

would now be an appropriate time to mention the fake blood incident? ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

Players attitudes are bad to refs but do we see it more because we see everything more with all the cameras and media at every game nothing gets missed I am not sure in the past it was picked up as much on camera.

Brighton Sky Blue

My guess would be because a large proportion of rugby players in England at least come through private schools where there is a generally different attitude towards people in authority.

italiahorse

My guess would be because a large proportion of rugby players in England at least come through private schools where there is a generally different attitude towards people in authority.
An example to us all surely ?
If you can't respect authority its the beginning of the end.

Brighton Sky Blue

An example to us all surely ?
If you can't respect authority its the beginning of the end.

It wouldn't go amiss in certain comprehensives I could name but the nature of the beast is different. Your parents fork out £10k a year to send you to school there'll be hell to pay if you waste their investment gobbing off at teachers. This year alone I've been physically threatened on multiple occasions and you can see the same on a Sunday League pitch most weeks.

Grendel

Pointless discussing this if people are quoting fighting of referees as the norm.
You may not like it but at least make your point or move on to where you can.

Talking about contradictions - why, before wasps offered you the parking rights - did you lodge a freedom of information request to Coventry council demanding to know the terms of sale of ACL to the London franchise?

duffer

I know where you're coming from, but in reality rugby's a pretty broad church. There are plenty of working class players mixing it up out there too. I think the difference is in the culture of the game and what's accepted and expected.

Disregarding rugby for a moment, name another sport where the officials are as routinely abused by the players as they are in football?

Don't get me wrong, I've watched and played footy for a very long time and I love the game. What I don't understand is why we're supposed to accept crap behaviour as being a normal part of it.

duffer

Players attitudes are bad to refs but do we see it more because we see everything more with all the cameras and media at every game nothing gets missed I am not sure in the past it was picked up as much on camera.

You could be right mate, it's not an unfair point, but even watching from the stands these days it seems like every decision is met with some kind of obvious dissent, and any big decision results in a crowd scene around the ref.

And some of the diving these days just seems flat out ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining because I hate the game, it annoys me because I love it. I just think all of the histrionics take some of the joy out of watching... maybe I'm just getting old!!

duffer

Took a few seconds on google to find several examples of rugby players physically attacking refs.

C'mon mate, I know it's fun to wind up Italia :) but you're not really telling me that there's an equivalence between how refs are treated by players in rugby and in football on the back of that bit of research?

Again, genuine question, name another sport where officials are expected to tolerate the clear dissent and abuse that seems to be the norm in football? Straight up, I honestly can't think of one....

italiahorse

Talking about contradictions - why, before wasps offered you the parking rights - did you lodge a freedom of information request to Coventry council demanding to know the terms of sale of ACL to the London franchise?
If I did It would be to get the facts so I could be informative to people like you that hate the truth?

Grendel

You can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink ? Comes to mind here.

Yeah like wasps attempt to get a certain manufacturer to sponsor the ground.

italiahorse

Yeah like wasps attempt to get a certain manufacturer to sponsor the ground.

Lets just wait and see ?
Does bring up an interesting question though in dropping 'Ricoh Arena' and to start calling it the "Land Rover Arena"
Going to be funny after all these years.

Grendel

Lets just wait and see ?
Does bring up an interesting question though in dropping 'Ricoh Arena' and to start calling it the "Land Rover Arena"
Going to be funny after all these years.

Yeah because it’s a hot topic for a global manufacturer they keep deferring this decision as it’s of vital importance.

As if it’s even on the table to defer anymore.

italiahorse

Yeah because it’s a hot topic for a global manufacturer they keep deferring this decision as it’s of vital importance.

As if it’s even on the table to defer anymore.

We shall only see once CCFC are sorted long term.
Obviously JLR don't want to be associated with the bad publicity around Sisu/CCFC/CCC/Wasps by potentially sponsoring a stadium that could be minus CCFC.
If they do eventually loose interest and pull out then we will never know and I will take the flack alone. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

italiahorse

CCFC had better get the majority of any sponsor deal then, if that's the case...
Sadly it isn’t.
When will Wasps change the seats?

We will get the sponsorship in our new stadium according to TF though.
No hold on the OpCo PropCo will. Or was it Coco the clown or something? ;)
They won't change the seats just the words. Only trouble is making something out of CCFCSKYBLUES letters (Any ideas?)

Users who are viewing this thread