Wasps downward spiral... (4 Viewers)

Flying Fokker

It’s on the Solihull moors fans forum. Concerns about the pitch of course. Looked yesterday so it’s been muted for a few days.

Terry Gibson's perm

That Nelly on there saying they will have money to get in a new pitch I hope they have to pay up front.

I hope Solihull are very careful as our former landlords don’t have a great reputation for paying for things and before they know it the Solihull players will have to change in their cars as the chasers will be demanding the changing rooms etc.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

That Nelly on there saying they will have money to get in a new pitch I hope they have to pay up front.

I hope Solihull are very careful as our former landlords don’t have a great reputation for paying for things and before they know it the Solihull players will have to change in their cars as the chasers will be demanding the changing rooms etc.
They only have to look at the facts:
1) QPR fans don’t like them
2) Wycombe Fans don’t like them
3) we detest them

We’ve not been great tenants but there’s only 1 constant in those quibbles and it isn’t us or SISU

I hope they don’t throw their weight around to Solihull

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The one thing that Nelly does acknowledge but other wasps fans don’t “they inserted themselves into a bitter dispute between us and the council”

this has always been the issue for me and the reason they get shit from us.

Kneeza

It'll be interesting to see just how this plays out.
There's an awful lot of disquiet among the clubs at level two and down, and much talk of legal action over the whole stinking affair.
Cov are the only club so far who have come out publicly about it, but there are many more who are very unhappy. Let's see what the next few weeks bring.

Kneeza

Six times smaller than our ground and they still won't fill it most of the time. 😄

Wasps - fuck off down south for God's sake, and treat your real fans with some respect for once.
They have fucked off down south apparently.
Damson Park is at least a couple of hundred yards south of the CBSA (if you look at lines of latitude).
I'll stop now...

Terry Gibson's perm

Been saying it all along. reliance on benefactors, desperate CVC deal, bad management, lack of interest etc. Maybe Wasps fans should read this to find out where the real blame lays.

I am going to guess it’s all sisu and covids fault😉

fernandopartridge

MMM will be fuming about this assessment of Eastwood and co:

“It was a hotel, events coordinator, entertainment business and stadium which tacked on a rugby club. Multiple businesses being operated by people who were essentially rugby players, when you look at the boards, highly inexperienced and with a single individual with Derek Richardson providing funding. Not the sort of board you need to be running multiple businesses, you need the right skill-sets.

tisza

waste of time. Could have come on our Wasps threads where exactly same conclusions were made for the last 2 years 😁

rob9872

Not sure the MP understands, he's saying the RFU should have kept Wasps alive? How?
Perhaps by funding all of the local businesses they fkd over would be a good start

Terry Gibson's perm

I don't get this at all, how many can they possibly expect to turn up? And if you're getting crowds of a couple of hundred then what's the point.

Hopefully they struggle to recruit and get stuck in the lower league for a while and the last few will dwindle away, I hope local businesses have been watching and don’t give them any credit.

Kneeza

I don't get this at all, how many can they possibly expect to turn up? And if you're getting crowds of a couple of hundred then what's the point.
I'd be surprised if they don't get the highest crowd numbers in the division.
(And if they don't, they'll tell you they have).
Seriously, it's a low bar, with Cov and Bedford getting 2000+ and rest mostly not much over 1000.

tisza

I'd be surprised if they don't get the highest crowd numbers in the division.
(And if they don't, they'll tell you they have).
Seriously, it's a low bar, with Cov and Bedford getting 2000+ and rest mostly not much over 1000.
There will be an initial bounce (much like us moving back to Cov) but then it will be very much based on whether they are successful or not. But Solihull just a temporary stop as impossible to stay there if they want to return and stay in the top division - capacity, corporate facilities, F&B limitations etc

Sky Blue Pete

There will be an initial bounce (much like us moving back to Cov) but then it will be very much based on whether they are successful or not. But Solihull just a temporary stop as impossible to stay there if they want to return and stay in the top division - capacity, corporate facilities, F&B limitations etc
Why a bounce?

Kneeza

Why a bounce?
There'll certainly be a few newbies that used to go to Sharman's Cross Rd, curious to see what Prem rugby looks like.
And then they realise it's not Prem rugby and drift off again.
There'll also be some bloke from Nuneaton that thinks 'supporting' an American football team is cool, and will also hear nothing negative about Wasps' new, or old, owners
No doubt there will also be a decent chunk of brummies turn up too. After all, a pretty large proportion of the Wasps' Ricoh/BS 'crowd' came from thataway.
All together, I reckon they'll publish crowds of slightly more than Bedford and Cov get, whether they actually turn up or not.
So, that's the 'bounce'.
Sustainable? To an extent yes, but they'll need to get promoted sharpish and move into the Alex to accomplish that.
And I can't contemplate how crap it'll be watching in an athletics stadium (actually, I can, as I've watched RL in the Don Valley Stadium back in the early 2000s. It was awful).

OffenhamSkyBlue

Championship leaders Ealing Trailfinders (a club whose success is built on money rather than tradition) don't generally even bother putting their attendance figures in their match reports. They say they had a "1,500 strong crowd" for their Christmas Eve match against second-placed Jersey Reds (i think they should be the Jersey Royals, myself!) - which sounds like the nicely-rounded figure a BNP protest organiser might use, when the police have it as 37!
Their game against closest rivals (and proper club) Richmond attracted 849 souls.
They are at home to Cov this Saturday.

tisza

Championship leaders Ealing Trailfinders (a club whose success is built on money rather than tradition) don't generally even bother putting their attendance figures in their match reports. They say they had a "1,500 strong crowd" for their Christmas Eve match against second-placed Jersey Reds (i think they should be the Jersey Royals, myself!) - which sounds like the nicely-rounded figure a BNP protest organiser might use, when the police have it as 37!
Their game against closest rivals (and proper club) Richmond attracted 849 souls.
They are at home to Cov this Saturday.
Still the same model that has put so many of these clubs in trouble - rich benefactor/owner. He dies ( god forbid) or gets in financial trouble and it's all over for the rugby club.

Users who are viewing this thread