Match Thread Watford (h) (6 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

Thing is Robins executed that well against Ismael’s Barnsley a few years ago. Particularly with players ‘lacking in confidence’, it did surprise me to see us continually playing slowly from the back.

Yep. It was so frustrating as I thought we had the beating of them, just needed to stop putting teammates in the shit at the back and middle of the park.

What was frightening was watford were most dangerous from our long throws and corners !!! Again, we’ll get that sorted. Some sloppy passing by all the midfielders at various times didn’t help as they kept turning over the ball in dangerous areas. Just one of those off days.

Good time for a break. We’ve got some really good players, they just need a bit of time working on stuff together

JulianDarbyFTW

We again had MVE beating his man for pace quite easily but this would either be underutilised or he’d have to backtrack because of insufficient support.
MvE had to backtrack several times because Gooden and Wright both drifted over to the left and failed to offer him an option. Once we get that sort of thing sorted we could be ok.

While I'm on the subject of the forwards, thought Wright was a mixed bag today. Some great turns and runs, but also a lot of Bambi on ice moments and some poor decision making. I'm very hopeful that he'll click once he settles into the team a bit more.

Brighton Sky Blue

MvE had to backtrack several times because Gooden and Wright both drifted over to the left and failed to offer him an option. Once we get that sort of thing sorted we could be ok.

While I'm on the subject of the forwards, thought Wright was a mixed bag today. Some great turns and runs, but also a lot of Bambi on ice moments and some poor decision making. I'm very hopeful that he'll click once he settles into the team a bit more.
Agree with that on Wright

Old Warwickshire lad

Wilson was back to his Rocky days

Van Ewjik and DaSilva class

Fadz Lats average, Bobby Thomas put in one of the single worst CB performances I've seen in years

Eccles pants, Sheaf being Sheaf, some unreal moments some strange.

Kasey Palmer is a frustrating prick, does the hard stuff and cannot execute the final ball

Wright and Godden is better than Simms and Godden

Just a bit of a 'meh' start overall for us i feel
Think that pretty much sums things up. Nothing I can disagree with. Palmer did everything,and achieved nothing.

Boicey

Shame Wright didn't score amongst today's chaos.
Him and Simms need to score well this season and we need their confidence building.

fernandopartridge

Oggy had it spot on from what I heard, you need far better decision making when teams are pressing like that and to change it up. That should be coming from management

Go long now and then, get it down the channels, put them on the back foot so they can’t press in the same way.

A lot of young lads in there and a whole new defensive unit. This team will get better as they learn the system, each others strengths etc Already MVE looks like a different player from debut.
Robins said the same in his interview tbf

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gibbo

My first game this year. 10 things

1. There is no point playing tippy tappy at the back if all you do is give the opposition time to settle and reorganize. If Wilson has no obvious pass, he might just as well bang it up - particularly with a big unit like Wright up front.

2.Tippy tappy at the back is going to put me in A&E with a cardiac arrest; I am too old for it.

3. Da Silva was caught out badly for the first goal

4. If you have 4 man midfield with Hamer, and remove Hamer, don't be surprised if the three that remain can't cope. It's about numbers as much as anything. Felt sorry for Palmer being asked to all the creative stuff. Sheaf was very quiet. Godden is not one for doing the donkey work. I'd consider a return to one up front

5. Godden has got away with a number of penalties in the past that scored despite not being in the optimum spot. Got caught out this time (their goalie was a big unit)

6. Wright is Dele Adebola's love child

7. It was actually the worst 3-3 I have ever watched. We gave them three goals and should have won 3-0.

8. From the start it was obvious their left wing was the danger man, yet he was left unmarked when Van Ewik went forward. Surely that was job number one.

9. Von Ewik clearly has lots of potential. So bloody quick plus freekicks plus throw ins.

10. I was glad when Bidwell came on. He's a grown up. I'd keep him for the next game.

wingy

Wilson was back to his Rocky days

Van Ewjik and DaSilva class

Fadz Lats average, Bobby Thomas put in one of the single worst CB performances I've seen in years

Eccles pants, Sheaf being Sheaf, some unreal moments some strange.

Kasey Palmer is a frustrating prick, does the hard stuff and cannot execute the final ball

Wright and Godden is better than Simms and Godden

Just a bit of a 'meh' start overall for us i feel
Scmiechles available for a short while I'd imagine.

Gibbo

Basically for a lot of the time they played like they barely knew one another, which of course they don't. Posted it before but last Spring the first team included 7 with at least 2.5 years together (plus 3 loans plus Bidwell). That counts. It will take time

djr8369

Watford were very physical, hanging off him sometimes, of course he isn’t going to come out on top every time. Neither did Vik.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Upon reflection, they're a decent side and a draw was probably a fair result considering how bad we were at times. This is definitely going to be a season of transition though, IMO.

Blind-Faith

Think that pretty much sums things up. Nothing I can disagree with. Palmer did everything,and achieved nothing.

Been trying to find a way to sum Palmer up and this nails it. He was absolutely different class today, until the final ball/shot/pass and he messes it up.

If he could add that final piece to the jigsaw he would be playing in the PL, but at the moment he’s all bells and whistles which counts for nothing.

Osabisa3256

My first game this year. 10 things

1. There is no point playing tippy tappy at the back if all you do is give the opposition time to settle and reorganize. If Wilson has no obvious pass, he might just as well bang it up - particularly with a big unit like Wright up front.

2.Tippy tappy at the back is going to put me in A&E with a cardiac arrest; I am too old for it.

3. Da Silva was caught out badly for the first goal

4. If you have 4 man midfield with Hamer, and remove Hamer, don't be surprised if the three that remain can't cope. It's about numbers as much as anything. Felt sorry for Palmer being asked to all the creative stuff. Sheaf was very quiet. Godden is not one for doing the donkey work. I'd consider a return to one up front

5. Godden has got away with a number of penalties in the past that scored despite not being in the optimum spot. Got caught out this time (their goalie was a big unit)

6. Wright is Dele Adebola's love child

7. It was actually the worst 3-3 I have ever watched. We gave them three goals and should have won 3-0.

8. From the start it was obvious their left wing was the danger man, yet he was left unmarked when Van Ewik went forward. Surely that was job number one.

9. Von Ewik clearly has lots of potential. So bloody quick plus freekicks plus throw ins.

10. I was glad when Bidwell came on. He's a grown up. I'd keep him for the next game.
You must be joking bidwell was awful !!

clint van damme

Surely stick MvE on the halfway line. I don’t see the point in Godden, he’s not going to win a foot race.

After rinsing their wing back for pace in their first foot race MVE then started checking back when he received the ball, can't help but think he was under instruction to do so

Edit -think I've missed the point of Shmmees post!

SkyblueTexan

It was funny until Bobby Thomas wanted in on the action and set them up.
That backpass was so weak it seemed like he hadn’t eaten for days.

oscillatewildly

Desperately lucky point. No question whatsoever that Watford were the better team (slaughtered us on the break)
Never in a million years was that a penalty - Justice with the outcome!

Rugby Sky Blue

I though that was two fairly average Championship team's playing against each other today. Watford are in complete transition, they didn't look bad but you could tell they were still trying to get use to a new style of play, hence the own goal and losing the ball in dangerous areas a few times. I think today highlighted for me that we are similar and this season will most likely be a bit of a transition for us rather than the joys of last season.

Users who are viewing this thread