What the fuck has happened to England (1 Viewer)

Otis

It still stings now to be honest. Winning the game and cruising while playing aggressive football that Italy just couldn't find a response to. Then second half he sends them out to camp in their own half and invite pressure.

Mancini looked lost in the first half and relieved in the second
When you say "relieved," do you mean "pissed all over us?"

SBAndy

Even though it was another game without a win, a lot more to be positive about last night. Saka starts over Sterling for me. Sterling looks to have lost a yard of pace which is limiting his effectiveness. Saka more willing to stretch the opposition which makes the space for Kane and Foden. Wing backs a lot more involved. Wouldn’t even bother taking Pope to the World Cup.

Terry Gibson's perm

The press are finally starting to turn on Southgate and the fans are as well.

The problem will be if England get past the quarter finals the fa will think it’s all ok and stick with this bloke and we will be desperate to stop as he will never get a top job (I would be disappointed if he replaced Robins).

He doesn’t get the best out of a decent group of players.

olderskyblue

The press are finally starting to turn on Southgate and the fans are as well.

The problem will be if England get past the quarter finals the fa will think it’s all ok and stick with this bloke and we will be desperate to stop as he will never get a top job (I would be disappointed if he replaced Robins).

He doesn’t get the best out of a decent group of players.
I think he’ll go after the World Cup of his own accord.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Even though it was another game without a win, a lot more to be positive about last night. Saka starts over Sterling for me. Sterling looks to have lost a yard of pace which is limiting his effectiveness. Saka more willing to stretch the opposition which makes the space for Kane and Foden. Wing backs a lot more involved. Wouldn’t even bother taking Pope to the World Cup.

I'm really hoping it is his last tournament for us. Never rated him, and even in the last tournament where he played slightly better, he went missing in the final. There isn't really a player for England I dislike more, and as we saw last night, we have other options that are better. Then again, we all know we have an abundance of attacking midfielders... Southgate will start him almost guaranteed though, which is really annoying.

stupot07

He needs to play Foden in a free role, not stick him out on the right wing. He's a completely different type of player than Saka, he needs to float and find pockets of space.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SBAndy

He needs to play Foden in a free role, not stick him out on the right wing. He's a completely different type of player than Saka, he needs to float and find pockets of space.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well those two behind the striker should be more central anyway rather than getting in the way of the wing backs.

I’ve been thinking about Foden today and whilst he’s supremely talented, I do wonder where he fits into the team. As one of the front 3 he has to score more, but I’m also yet to be convinced his playing style is compatible with Kane (part of my idea that Kane would have been a terrible signing for Man City).

Liquid Gold

I don't like playing with wingers and wing backs.

I think the formation that suits our squad best is 4-2-3-1

You get 3 of the quality attacking mids in, stick Kane up front and tell him to stay there while letting the 4 defenders concentrate on defending.

The two in front you could have 1 shielding and one progressing. Rice and Bellingham would be my preference.

Otis

Well those two behind the striker should be more central anyway rather than getting in the way of the wing backs.

I’ve been thinking about Foden today and whilst he’s supremely talented, I do wonder where he fits into the team. As one of the front 3 he has to score more, but I’m also yet to be convinced his playing style is compatible with Kane (part of my idea that Kane would have been a terrible signing for Man City).
He would. He would have cocked up their system completely and I do agree on Foden. They are trying to pigeon hole him and it's hard to work out how he fits into the side at present. He's a fabulous player.

I think if you play Grealish or Foden, you have to give them a freer role.

Otis

You get 3 of the quality attacking mids in, stick Kane up front and tell him to stay there while letting the 4 defenders concentrate on defending.

The two in front you could have 1 shielding and one progressing. Rice and Bellingham would be my preference.
Has a good look to it doesn't it. They are both feisty and strong in the tackle too.

SBT

I assume the reason England don’t do this more often is the same reason we don’t at Coventry - our back four isn’t competent enough to deal with the opposition going forward. A back three makes that a lot easier to deal with.

Liquid Gold

I assume the reason England don’t do this more often is the same reason we don’t at Coventry - our back four isn’t competent enough to deal with the opposition going forward. A back three makes that a lot easier to deal with.
Agreed, but then we (city) don't play with wingers. England have some quality wide options that deserve inclusion.

When you play with winger and wing backs you surrender a lot of the middle. Teams can defend the width of the box and we end up with what we have not - backwards, sideways, backwards, sideways etc.

If you don't have adventurous wingbacks then a 4 is fine as you're actually increasing bodies at the back in a lot of situations and particularly if your defensive midfielder slots in.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He would. He would have cocked up their system completely and I do agree on Foden. They are trying to pigeon hole him and it's hard to work out how he fits into the side at present. He's a fabulous player.

I think if you play Grealish or Foden, you have to give them a freer role.

Dropping Sterling would help get our best creative players in their strongest positions in an attacking sense, but he's just never going to do it.

A two of Rice and Bellingham in front of a defence is also good, but I can see him picking another underwhelming favourite; Henderson.

We have some decent players but we're holding ourselves back big time.

Otis

This was the most popular team selection for the World Cup, based on fans' votes.

I do quite like that myself too.

Screenshot_2022-09-28-18-21-35-90_4e3a4e884d35a3e473eec66b07ef8cea.jpg

Otis

It's mad that Southgate didn't give Tomori an opportunity. Toney too. No more games now until the opening game. It's nuts.

The German game was like a friendly. What better time to give players another stab?

Southgate has already said he backs Mcgrath, so there was no need at all to play him in this. Or at least could have given them 45 mins each or 60/30.

Otis

Not for me, a flat back 4 should have a natural left footer at left back.

I also don't like Foden wide, play him in the hole where he best influences games. It feels like you've shunted him over to force Maddison in.
Yup. I always feel you don't get the best from Foden when he is forced out wide. Very capable there, but he is much better in a freer role.

Saddlebrains

Not for me, a flat back 4 should have a natural left footer at left back.

I also don't like Foden wide, play him in the hole where he best influences games. It feels like you've shunted him over to force Maddison in.

Fair

Trippier mainly in there for set pieces, dont feel theres anyone better in the squad frankly for that

Foden, yep fair, would swap for Grealish and start him instead of Madders

Liquid Gold

Fair

Trippier mainly in there for set pieces, dont feel theres anyone better in the squad frankly for that

Foden, yep fair, would swap for Grealish and start him instead of Madders
I would have Grealish backing up Foden, he's the obvious sub there.

The wide slots for me would be shared out between Saka, Rashford, Sterling and Sancho

Frostie

We're down to critical RB levels in the squad (three)

Got a feeling he'll take TAA now just for an easier ride from fans/media but really, Walker predominantly plays CB for England so the space should be Tomori's.

SlowerThanPlatt

Got a feeling he'll take TAA now just for an easier ride from fans/media but really, Walker predominantly plays CB for England so the space should be Tomori's.

Watched him again last night and as v Napoli, not convincing. I think he does benefit from not being on the radar as much as some others.

Otis

I think we have more than enough players for the position and we also know that Eccles can cover at right back if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread