What the fuck has happened to England (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Bobby Robson matched that and Alf Ramsay bettered it.
So, one manager 30 years earlier, and one over 50 years earlier. And both of those are renowned as being shit for England, of course.

Yep, that's an argument that says Southgate is out of his depth, even more so when one had home advantage and that doesn't count apparently...

David O'Day

They’ve done more than he did at Middlesbrough

They have shown nothing to show they would be any better or any worse. In fact Lampards time at Chelsea was tainted by his criminal inability to organise a defence even when he had good defenders.

Also they have shown nothing that shows they want the job either

Sky Blue Harry H

Anyway, I didn't want Southgate when he was appointed - his record with Middlesbrough was terrible. But, ultimately, he's outperformed just about every England manager before him. That, much like Robins with City, gives him a certain leeway in suggesting he does know what he's doing. Would I set up as he does? Nope. But then playing like Keegan had us playing didn't really work.

For me it's about getting the best out of the available resources. We have in Foden, Grealish, Bellingham, Maddison (I'll include Mount for now), Saka, Bowen etc etc and yet he has a defence that passes sideways all the time and fills the middle of the park with 'workers' Gallagher, Ward-Prowse, Phillips, Rice (who is a good player). Lots of passing sideways and playing safe and just hoping that possession will win us the game. As someone elsewhere on here said, I'll die on this hill re: Maddison - he's better than at least 5 of the players that I've listed and would have a field day with the amount of possession England have.

Otis

A shame that Chilwell got such a nasty injury too. But pinning the strategy on defensive play makes no sense with the available players.
I agree

And I don't think Maguire is anywhere near good enough..

Guehi looks like he may be one for the future and I like Tomori too.

Stones makes too many mistakes for England unfortunately. I like him a lot, but he has better players around him at Man City.

David O'Day

So, one manager 30 years earlier, and one over 50 years earlier. And both of those are renowned as being shit for England, of course.

Yep, that's an argument that says Southgate is out of his depth, even more so when one had home advantage and that doesn't count apparently...

To be fair Robson was getting pelters from the late 80s versions of BSB before that world cup.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sorry NW you’re right. It’s all about results and years of the same turgid performances don’t matter. We lost the final because Southgate stuck to his hyper defensive guns. We got beat by Croatia also after having taken the lead.

Kevin Keegan did not have the talent available to him that Mr Marks and Spencer does.

Otis

For me it's about getting the best out of the available resources. We have in Foden, Grealish, Bellingham, Maddison (I'll include Mount for now), Saka, Bowen etc etc and yet he has a defence that passes sideways all the time and fills the middle of the park with 'workers' Gallagher, Ward-Prowse, Phillips, Rice (who is a good player). Lots of passing sideways and playing safe and just hoping that possession will win us the game. As someone elsewhere on here said, I'll die on this hill re: Maddison - he's better than at least 5 of the players that I've listed and would have a field day with the amount of possession England have.
Tonight, the ball goes into the midfield area and it comes straight back without thought. No-one really willing to push forwards with the ball.

First thought, back to where the ball came from

Sky Blue Harry H

We're a tough watch at the moment . May well go onto win bit have been relatively poor over the last 3 and a half matches

Thank you Evo - summed up my thoughts without me having to ramble on about it.

David O'Day

Basically you can argue tactics but realistically there aren't any better managers who would want the England job

Evo1883

And I'd say having an average position of 3 in major tournaments is getting the best out of resources.

There is an argument to be made that we've had comfortable draws in the last 2 tournaments .. this is his record v semi decent sides

Sky Blue Harry H

Obviously my main passion is City, but I do invest my time and care about England. I have, however, started to feel like some club fans who want their team to lose, so that the manager will get the boot. I just want Southgate to be able to motivate/affect the game more than he does. I also want England to be more adventurous. If not, put Mike Bassett in charge.

FulltimeWum

I'd ignore the Belgium in that list. They are another chronic waste of energy on the national stage. Flat track bullies who employ media yes men.

FulltimeWum

It has to be on purpose, the England clumsy defenders are hitting what can only be described as Sand Wedge esque up and under passes, whilst Reece James keeps trying to find an over lap that isn't there.

Sky Blue Harry H

Probably score now, but what does Phillips bring to a game like this, when you have a lot of the ball - seriously, wouldn't people sooner see Maddison out there.

Liquid Gold

Why are you bothering to get yourselves worked up about a friendly tournament where the players don't give a shit after a long season shortly before a new one.

Did you go on a 3 day bender to celebrate us winning Le Tournoi or do you all only give a shit about nothing games when it gives you the chance to endlessly moan?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Why are you bothering to get yourselves worked up about a friendly tournament where the players don't give a shit after a long season shortly before a new one.

Did you go on a 3 day bender to celebrate us winning Le Tournoi or do you all only give a shit about nothing games when it gives you the chance to endlessly moan?
No its just not very encouraging to see us playing this shit when we have a World Cup round the corner

Users who are viewing this thread