Will Villa? (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

Hasn't this argument already played out with a bunch of Celtic arse lickers a few weeks ago? Please refer to that thread to save time, Rangers are only very slightly less shite and Scottish football is a steaming pile of dog mess.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mark82

I’m not saying in pre-season when they were nearly done and we were just getting started. We’d have them now.

Rangers to Villa is a step up, Chelsea to Rangers is a big step down

Whatever Lampard takes is going to be a big step down to be fair. Rangers is an easy job, all he has to do is beat Celtic every year. It's pretty much no lose.

OffenhamSkyBlue

It will be interesting to see how he does. There are quite a lot of pretty poor sides in the prem this season. I'd say Norwich and Newcastle look pretty doomed already!

AOM

I’m not saying in pre-season when they were nearly done and we were just getting started. We’d have them now.

Rangers to Villa is a step up, Chelsea to Rangers is a big step down

Agree about Lampard (also think the Championship to Rangers is barely a step up apart from for European games), but think it could be a potentially good job if he wants to win a few trophies, improve his managerial record and then a stepping stone to another bigger club again in a few years.

The Philosopher

I’m not sure why people are saying “EPL to SPL is a step down”, or “EFL to SPL us a step down”, “Chelsea to Rangers is a step down” about Lampard.

He’s out of work. Can’t see that taking the Rangers job is a “step down” for a jobless manager.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I’m not sure why people are saying “EPL to SPL is a step down”, or “EFL to SPL us a step down”, “Chelsea to Rangers is a step down” about Lampard.

He’s out of work. Can’t see that taking the Rangers job is a “step down” for a jobless manager.
I suspect he may end up at Norwich

The Philosopher

Surprised Bruce (ex Norwich player, out of work, steady pair of hands, fairly certain to get them re-promoted next season) is not favourite for Norwich Manager.

TomRad85

This is true tbf. Its similar to the 'no way would this out of contract player who used to be on 30k a week, come to us' argument.
Some money will always win out over no money, otherwise I'd never go to work again.

The Philosopher

I'm not sure why - he needs to rebuild his managerial reputation with success at a mediocre club after being unsuccessful at a top 6 club having bailed on Derby (where he wasn't doing THAT well).
Let’s guess what next year looks like:

Scenario 1) Lampard to Norwich.

Norwich, Burnley, Watford down. Bournemouth, Fulham, WBA up

Relegation on CV. Must then beat some really strong teams to be promoted again. Not a certainty.

Scenario 2) Lampard to Rangers.

Minimum double attendances. Will be able to import a load of half decent English u19/20/21 loanees who would be glad of development opportunity and he can claim that he’s working with future England players at a later date. Should win league. Zero chance of relegation. Will get European football.

I’m not sure the manager Salary is critical to Lampard. I’m sure he’s got enough wool on his back from his playing days and Rangers are hardly short of gate revenue and shirt sales.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Well when you put it like THAT ... LOL

But you are assuming that Norwich are unsalvageable even with a transfer window and a shitload of money in their coffers. I think your choice of Burnley going down is odd. I think they'll stay up. Brentford can't win to save their lives right now

SlowerThanPlatt

Let’s guess what next year looks like:

Scenario 1) Lampard to Norwich.

Norwich, Burnley, Watford down. Bournemouth, Fulham, WBA up

Relegation on CV. Must then beat some really strong teams to be promoted again. Not a certainty.

Scenario 2) Lampard to Rangers.

Minimum double attendances. Will be able to import a load of half decent English u19/20/21 loanees who would be glad of development opportunity and he can claim that he’s working with future England players at a later date. Should win league. Zero chance of relegation. Will get European football.

I’m not sure the manager Salary is critical to Lampard. I’m sure he’s got enough wool on his back from his playing days and Rangers are hardly short of gate revenue and shirt sales.

Would a player choose Norwich or Rangers? Ryan Christie went from Celtic to Bournemouth

The Philosopher

Well I mean yeah it’s a total mystery
Bruce is a total antithesis of the kind of manager Norwich would go for.
Lampard at Rangers might work for both parties. Lampard at Norwich (where they will splash the cash more) might not. Bruce IMO a better fit.

Lampard spent big at Derby and look what’s happened to them since financially.

EG. £5m for Waghorn (Source: Sky Sports) might not be the type of thing Rangers would do and transfer dealings like that (his Chelsea record no better) would be bad for Norwich.

I’m going off topic, but Lampard was presumed to ambition the England job where transfer dealings are not the yardstick; coaching, identifying and strategising is.

Anyway, not my circus, not my monkeys, just ramblings:

Lampard to Norwich not sensible for either party. Bruce a safer bet. Lampard to Rangers is a safer bet for both.

The Philosopher

Would a player choose Norwich or Rangers? Ryan Christie went from Celtic to Bournemouth
It’s a funny one. Years ago Henrik Larsson, John Hartson etc. went to Scotland and could easily have been in the Prem. The gulf between has widened somewhat but the draw of 50k crowds, silverware, adulation, European football will appeal to some who could easily play lower Prem or Champ.

That said, how many Old Firm current players could hack the Champ now? Morelos? Kent? very few beside I’d wager.

Funny times.

TomRad85

It’s a funny one. Years ago Henrik Larsson, John Hartson etc. went to Scotland and could easily have been in the Prem. The gulf between has widened somewhat but the draw of 50k crowds, silverware, adulation, European football will appeal to some who could easily play lower Prem or Champ.

That said, how many Old Firm current players could hack the Champ now? Morelos? Kent? very few beside I’d wager.

Funny times.
Scottish football is way way shitter than it was in the Larsson years.

stay_up_skyblues

My mate just text saying Gerard only won one trophy out of a potential nine up there. If true it’s not exactly an amazing record given the opposition, at least in the domestic comps.

clint van damme

My mate just text saying Gerard only won one trophy out of a potential nine up there. If true it’s not exactly an amazing record given the opposition, at least in the domestic comps.

In histime there he's 4th for number of trophies won, though to be fair he seems to have done pretty well in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread