World Cup Winner? (1 Viewer)

2018 World Cup Winner will be...

• Total voters

CJ_covblaze

Brazil, Germany or France. Brazil's starting XI is frightening and the other two could field 2 or 3 teams each that are capable of making the quarter finals. I don't fancy Spain at all. This one might have come a couple of years early for them. Argentina have been rubbish for years. A couple of superb forwards but as a team they've looked clueless and are lucky to be there. For an EW bet with decent odds I'd back Croatia.
Russia are terrible. What are the odds on them not scoring a goal?

Jesus Christ. Not done bad with one but I’ve had a shocker with the other.

skyblue025

I thought Croatia were poor tonight and lucky to get through. Have been surprised at how pens have gone straight down the middle.

rob9872

Uraguay at 33/1 is huge. Not saying they'll win but very good team at decent oddsLook certain on the route to quarters then just need a bit of luck.

Can I add this to the I told you so thread? :)

Magwitch

Any team difficult to score against which Uruguay are have a good chance and with Suarez and Cavani up top a very good chance got to be worth a tenner at 33/1

Sky Blue Harry H

Interesting how clever tactics can stifle so called superior teams. Croatia were made to look like a pub team in that second half against Denmark. It was only the fact that the Danes hadn't got decent attackers that stopped them winning. France or Belgium v us(of course) in the final !!

shmmeee

And England v France final would be amazing. Imagine the xenophobic chants we can add to “two world wars and one World Cup”

CJ_covblaze

Can I add this to the I told you so thread? :)

Very good shout. They do have the best player in the world in their back 4. 33-1 was ridiculous odds really with Godin and their forward line.

bringbackrattles

Did a lucky dip in the bookies at the start of World Cup. Picked out 2 tickets at random only 50p each,and got Croatia and Belgium. Both in with a chance now.

SkyBlueMatt

I have Brazil in the sweepstakes at work, which pays runner up as well. Which is lucky considering IT'S COMING HOME!!!!!

This World Cup has been a cracker, I'm really trying not to get carried away but I can't stop thinking about the opportunity of making it to a semi/final. I can't see how we're going to have a better chance.

I'm not arrogant to say we're better than the teams in front of us, or we should be beating them but rather that, we can.

Otis

I have Brazil in the sweepstakes at work, which pays runner up as well. Which is lucky considering IT'S COMING HOME!!!!!

This World Cup has been a cracker, I'm really trying not to get carried away but I can't stop thinking about the opportunity of making it to a semi/final. I can't see how we're going to have a better chance.

I'm not arrogant to say we're better than the teams in front of us, or we should be beating them but rather that, we can.
Yep. It's how I feel too. I think we can beat anyone.

Just need to make sure we have our game faces on and that includes not underestimating Colombia tomorrow night.

Bumberclart

England will never have a better chance of reaching a final, assuming we can overcome Columbia tomorrow.
Really hope they play with the intensity of the first 20 mins against Tunisia. If they do, I can't see many teams containing Kane. Just have a sneaky feeling there is a heroes story being written for Raheem Sterling somewhere down the line.

Mucca Mad Boys

England will never have a better chance of reaching a final, assuming we can overcome Columbia tomorrow.
Really hope they play with the intensity of the first 20 mins against Tunisia. If they do, I can't see many teams containing Kane. Just have a sneaky feeling there is a heroes story being written for Raheem Sterling somewhere down the line.

I’m backing Sterling and really want him to do well after such a great season with Man City. We have such a good opportunity to change the national psyche by getting to a semi-final — the last time we did it in a World Cup, I wasn’t even born!

Otis

Would be great. The lad clearly has bags of skill. He just barely ever shows it for England.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Just thought I'd bump this up for review now that Brazil have been sent packing along with the Germans......the 2 sbt favourites by a country mile.....

....i voted Belgium :emoji_kissing_smiling_eyes:

Otis

Just thought I'd bump this up for review now that Brazil have been sent packing along with the Germans......the 2 sbt favourites by a country mile.....

....i voted Belgium :emoji_kissing_smiling_eyes:
I voted England, but did have Belgium to get to the final in the predictor thread.

I can well see the Belgians beating France. That could be a cracking match.

Nonleagueherewecome

I chose Germany on here but some money on Croatia but realistically think it's going to be the winner of France/Belgium.

The bandwagon lot who keep shouting it's coming home are starting to do my head in.
The woman who rang up 606 afterwards summed it up a bit. She gushed a lot about how wonderful it was but how inadequate she felt listening to R5 as "everyone has so much knowledge" whereas she "doesn't really like football" but is "so happy".

shmmeee

Belgium were my tip at the start and still are. England Belgium final, well lose 2 or 3 nil.

Mucca Mad Boys

Belgium were my tip at the start and still are. England Belgium final, well lose 2 or 3 nil.

France were my pick before the tournament, but if England get to the final, I’m flipping that because I’m not capable of going against my team!

shmmeee

France were my pick before the tournament, but if England get to the final, I’m flipping that because I’m not capable of going against my team!

Assuming England will lose has served me well so far, not going to stop now. In fact I'm not comfortable predicting they'll beat Croatia.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

giphy.gif

pipkin73

My pic was also France, but i will gladly loose all of my 'Nick, virtual credits' to see an England win.

Sick Boy

Bandwagon lot? What are you on about

Those who either don't normally watch football and only come out of the woodwork when England plays well, or those who wrote Southgate and the team off beforehand, yet are now his and their biggest fans.

Otis

Those who either don't normally watch football and only come out of the woodwork when England plays well, or those who wrote Southgate and the team off beforehand, yet are now his and their biggest fans.
I certainly wrote Southgate off, but didn't, the team.

I thought Southgate would make for a terrible England manager.

Just goes to show doesn't it and some great club managers go on to make dreadful international managers (Don Revie).

Manchester_sky_blue

Just goes to show doesn't it and some great club managers go on to make dreadful international managers (Don Revie).
Southgate is England Manager because he really wants to be, he's not trying to feather his nest or looking for an easy ride in to retirement. Think that counts for a lot.

Mucca Mad Boys

The only way was up after Hodgson (whom I backed). I fancied Southgate to be a good manager because he was successful with the younger age groups. But success this tournament was making the quarter finals and restoring a bit pride back in the national team. After the World Cup kicked off and seeing how badly Germany were, I said to my German friend that England would repeat the 2010 result on them (probably not 4-1). In any case, Southgate has been vindicated at every stage. Look at players like Maguire who has become a key player this tournament? No one fancied him to be in the squad a year ago!

International management and club management are totally different jobs. There are a few top international coaches who have achieved nothing of note at club level, Klinsmann and Joachim Löw are the best examples of this. Löw is arguably one of the greatest modern international managers (minus this tournament, 5-6 major tournaments reaching the semi-finals at least) and his club record is a stint in the Bundesliga... the Austrian one. There’s a few more to add to that too.

My optimism for Southgate wasn’t so much that I thought he was a great manager per se, I just got the feeling that things couldn’t have got any worse and his experience at age-group international management would serve him well.

Nick

Administrator

Or people who seem to think you can't be English if you don't say "It's coming home" in every sentence possible. It's like when you couldn't be a city fan without saying NOPM or SISU Out, if you didn't put it that you were no way a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread