Match Thread Wycombe (2 Viewers)

KenilworthSkyBlue

They're not incredibly lucky, the PPG applied to them in the same way it did for anyone else. They still had to play 3 play off games and came out on top.

You're more than entitled to your opinion, but they were FP. They were incredibly lucky to get the opportunity of being in the play-offs in the first place and PPG favoured them over others who deserved a play-off place more. Their form post December 21st proves that. Granted, the PPG system was never going to please everyone though as Peterborough and Tranmere found out.

Of course, you can only beat what's in front of you and fair enough their seized their chance when it was given but, considering that a football hadn't been kicked in League One for almost four months prior to the play-offs, in my opinion it was anyone's to clinch. Another reason why I think the stars were certainly aligned for Wycombe last season as certain sides would've inevitably struggled more than others.

I fail to see the merit in giving kudos to a team who were undeservedly promoted off the back of a pandemic. At least with us and Rotherham it's highly likely that both would've been promoted under every eventuality (excluding voiding), even if the season had miraculously resumed. Can you say that about Wycombe?

Mucca Mad Boys

It's not really an almighty achievement though is it. Wycombe were nothing more than incredibly lucky. They were promoted off the back of a successful half season at the expense of others such as Peterborough who genuinely deserved it at the time based on their current form.

It's highly unlikely they would have been in the play-offs come the end of the season if Covid hadn't hit. So, demanding I give credit where it's due is nonsensical.

On the PPG they finished 3rd, and whichever way you look at it, they were punching above their weight being a playoff team as they went into the season with the expectation of survival, not promotion!

They beat the in form teams to get promoted so they well and truly earned the right to play in the Championship.

It’s not fair to delegitimise Wycombe’s place in the league, you could make a similar argument for Rotherham too. In fact, with 10 games or so left, and as unlikely as it was, even we could’ve bottled it also. Wycombe finished 3rd on the same basis we finished 1st.

Monners

quite a fair assessment of the game from one of their fans, unlike most others, :-

However, it also has to be said the ref did award us a soft pen and, if truth be told, it didn't look like we would get back into the game at that point otherwise.

Coventry seemed to be managing the two game lead well, and only let us back into the game in the final 20 mins when they struggled to deal with Bayo and Wheeler in the air. They really impress me every time we play them in fact. Extremely well organised, difficult to score against, and seem to know precisely how to turn the dial at the right moment to convert a short spell of pressure into a goal. A very efficient team that appear very well coached from a tactical perspective.
Always good the perspective of opposition fans.

I think it’s a pretty fair assessment

Irish Sky Blue

I think if they had used the points per game based on home and away performances and then on home and away games left, Wycombe would I have missed out. This seemed to me to be the fairer system but for some reason wasn't adopted.
What can't be denied is that given their chance in the play offs. Wycombe took it.
I heard an interview with Ainsworth the day after they won the play off final. He came across as a really good bloke. He was obviously so thrilled for his club and his players. He admitted that their playing style was 'unique'., certainly not to everyone's taste, but justified it by saying that they just did not have the finances to employ ball players. He said their policy was to make life difficult for their opponents, to stop them playing and he made no apologies for that. He also said that his League One players would have the chance to play in the Championship, something that seems to have happened.
I don't like the way they play but it was hard not to warm to Ainsworth based on that interview.

covcity4life

I think if they had used the points per game based on home and away performances and then on home and away games left, Wycombe would I have missed out. This seemed to me to be the fairer system but for some reason wasn't adopted.
What can't be denied is that given their chance in the play offs. Wycombe took it.
I heard an interview with Ainsworth the day after they won the play off final. He came across as a really good bloke. He was obviously so thrilled for his club and his players. He admitted that their playing style was 'unique'., certainly not to everyone's taste, but justified it by saying that they just did not have the finances to employ ball players. He said their policy was to make life difficult for their opponents, to stop them playing and he made no apologies for that. He also said that his League One players would have the chance to play in the Championship, something that seems to have happened.
I don't like the way they play but it was hard not to warm to Ainsworth based on that interview.

Ppg was fair as it was

And how could anyone not wabt Wycombe to stay up as long as it didn't cost cov?

I picked them as my fav non league team wheb i was like 12 as I liked their name lol. Never thought we would be same league. But at least it's the championship now!

Brighton Sky Blue

On the PPG they finished 3rd, and whichever way you look at it, they were punching above their weight being a playoff team as they went into the season with the expectation of survival, not promotion!

They beat the in form teams to get promoted so they well and truly earned the right to play in the Championship.

It’s not fair to delegitimise Wycombe’s place in the league, you could make a similar argument for Rotherham too. In fact, with 10 games or so left, and as unlikely as it was, even we could’ve bottled it also. Wycombe finished 3rd on the same basis we finished 1st.

All that matters is points on the board and at that moment they had enough. No issues with that.

Mucca Mad Boys

Personally, I agree that weighed PPG was the fairest way to do it - a part of me thinks the EFL went unweighted for spite Peterborough a bit. But that’s irrelevant.

If you don’t like Wycombe or Ainsworth, you don’t have a heart. They are shithouses, but they’re a plucky club who’s fans were happy to remain in the EFL when their manager took over. He’s taken them through the leagues without paying a fee for a player. It’s a heart warming football story that inspires the smaller clubs around - similar to what Yeovil achieved.

Their manager sets his team up to win games and to try and scrap in this league and they’re fighting well. It probably won’t be enough, but they’re loving life.

For them, being in the Championship is how we would all feel returning to the Premiership.

Users who are viewing this thread