Match Thread ⚽️ Burnley vs Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 14th Jan (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I'm out drinking but simply, we were arguably the better side and had the better chances to win.
The defending for the goal was as last week, we've got a severe problem of players not attacking the ball.

Reactions: PVA

Evo1883

I know we lost and I haven't really read through the thread , but I'm hoping there aren't too many unhappy with today's performance, thought we gave a great account of ourselves today

clint van damme

How is that stretching it?

They're 7 players that would have been in the squad today had they been fit, so of course the squad is weak without them 🤣

Walker might have been in the squad, but that's because of how light we are on numbers. Robins would have him out the door tomorrow given the chance.
You're not seriously suggesting that the squad is good enough and Robins has been backed in the last two windows?

PVA

Walker might have been in the squad, but that's because of how light we are on numbers. Robins would have him out the door tomorrow given the chance.
You're not seriously suggesting that the squad is good enough and Robins has been backed in the last two windows?

No, I said we need more signings.

I'm just saying that today was an anomaly and with 7 or 8 first teamers missing of course the squad looks shit, just about any team in the league would have a bunch of 21s on the bench with that many missing.

The bench/squad will look nothing like it did today in 2 weeks time.

Grendel

No, I said we need more signings.

I'm just saying that today was an anomaly and with 7 or 8 first teamers missing of course the squad looks shit, just about any team in the league would have a bunch of 21s on the bench with that many missing.

The bench/squad will look nothing like it did today in 2 weeks time.

most of those players have been missing for weeks haven’t they? We’ve also of course released two players.

PVA

most of those players have been missing for weeks haven’t they? We’ve also of course released two players.

It makes no difference how long they've been missing, if you have 8 out on any given day of course the squad is weakened.

Grendel

It makes no difference how long they've been missing, if you have 8 out on any given day of course the squad is weakened.

its not weakened though by releasing two players which you seemed to find amusing?

PVA

its not weakened though by releasing two players which you seemed to find amusing?

It's not weakened by releasing the 5th choice RWB no.

It's temporarily weakened by releasing the 3rd or 4th choice striker, but only in the short term.

They've contributed almost nothing this season, they won't be missed.

Grendel

I think it’s pretty desperate that we have 4 loans we need and a few players like Tavares Burroughs and Eccles and this is considered normal abs every club would be in the same situation as us in the league

PVA

I think it’s pretty desperate that we have 4 loans we need and a few players like Tavares Burroughs and Eccles and this is considered normal abs every club would be in the same situation as us in the league

Well your knowledge of the rest of the league is pretty lacking so it's not surprising you don't understand.

Grendel

Well your knowledge of the rest of the league is pretty lacking so it's not surprising you don't understand.

So you think we have a competitive squad and equal to most in the division?

PVA

So you think we have a competitive squad and equal to most in the division?

It wasn't long ago you were saying Wigan and Rotherham were better than us.

With everyone fit and a couple of January additions we could have pushed for top 6.

As it is we'll probably have to settle for 12th - 15th.

steve101

Losing fair and square is one thing, but losing to a goal that shouldn’t have stood is another blow to the player’s confidence. If only, if only…
We need a striker, a goal scoring midfielder, a centre back and probably two more players for the bench at this rate. Simply has to be done, otherwise I’m not confident that we can even stabilise and finish mid table.

Some positives though, from today: Cuffy looks promising and we’re clearly creating chances, but there’s no end product. Allen can’t shoot for shit, Palmer wants too much time before taking a shot, and there’s Vik running his arse off with no support.

Hopefully, there’s a few signings in the pipeline next week. 🙏🏻
I think Palmer is going to get on a scoring run. He is not far off it - just fine tuning.

Macca

I'm out drinking but simply, we were arguably the better side and had the better chances to win.
The defending for the goal was as last week, we've got a severe problem of players not attacking the ball.

Drinking or not I agree. For probably 2/3 of the game we were until we ran out of steam. Another striker with Vik and we win that game. That addition must be a priority

Offhegoes

Knew we’d see a performance today. In all honesty it should have been 0-0. Few genuine chances for both teams. We looked more likely first half. Burnley got on top after the break without really testing us. Some of our moves were on another level today, but we need another forward to play alongside Palmer and Vik. Jamie Allen is a useful squad player, but we need better. Our attacks either break down or slow down when he gets on the balll, and he’s missed some good chances over the last few games. Dabo much improved,

Ashdown

Not distraught at the result. Thought it was going to be worse when I saw the team sheet . Robins does a good job all told, I do wonder what he could push on with given a decent backer. He’s only worked with peanuts compared to many of his competitors . I can’t see SISUs mate Doug throwing silly money around though…..and part of me thinks it would be obscene if it got that way. Football is fucked really outside the Prem and only those with their parachute millions tend to bounce back.
We fell off the money train at the worst possible time in 2001 .

PVA

Saw a few people saying it was Dabo that lost his man for the goal but I've just watched it back and I'm pretty sure it was Gyokeres.

Frostie

Saw a few people saying it was Dabo that lost his man for the goal but I've just watched it back and I'm pretty sure it was Gyokeres.

They both lose their man (Gyok v Taylor & Dabo v Beyer) but it goes over Taylor & headed in by Beyer. Not great from either of them.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I didn't go or watch online but it sounded like we changed shape to two banks of four, was that right? If so is that likely to be a one-off or have these two loans been brought in to act more like wide midfielders and we go 4-4-1-1 for a bit now? Sounds like we really could have taken something from a really tough looking fixture yesterday, hope we can carry that into the Norwich game for a good result (hopefully with some more signings to improve options off the bench too).

clint van damme

I didn't go or watch online but it sounded like we changed shape to two banks of four, was that right? If so is that likely to be a one-off or have these two loans been brought in to act more like wide midfielders and we go 4-4-1-1 for a bit now? Sounds like we really could have taken something from a really tough looking fixture yesterday, hope we can carry that into the Norwich game for a good result (hopefully with some more signings to improve options off the bench too).

I think it was down to personnel with Panzo suspended and the new loanee injured, though it looked pretty solid.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I think it was down to personnel with Panzo suspended and the new loanee injured, though it looked pretty solid.
You'd think a back 4 would have to be considered at some point given how few natural centre-halves we have. Sheaf, Dabo and Bidwell have been tried there and i'd not want any of that on a regular basis. Sounds like Cuffy could be a real threat down the right.

clint van damme

You'd think a back 4 would have to be considered at some point given how few natural centre-halves we have. Sheaf, Dabo and Bidwell have been tried there and i'd not want any of that on a regular basis. Sounds like Cuffy could be a real threat down the right.

Cuffy looked Raw but he as very direct and put in a decent cross or two.

slowpoke

I think a change of formation could happen based on what we saw yesterday and who we recruit. We are still tight at the back but are not scoring anywhere enough goals from positions other than centre-forward. Although there’s good news regarding Godden & Walker on the way back imo we still need another striker to support Vik & another in midfield who can chip in with goals been linked with Jamie Paterson someone liked him is what I think we need.

Speedie's Head

Our chances weren't nearly as clear cut as I had expected them to be from the radio commentary. Jamie should have gone far post but there was a defender to beat that way and Vik just couldn't get his shot away

PVA

Expected goals: Burnley 0.6 - 0.7 Cov

So not much in it really. If Vik had actually got a shot away out value would have gone up a bit I guess

Terry Gibson's perm

Strange to see the keepers on the bench if he knew the new guy was injured Thursday, I had assumed he was ill on the morning of the match. Was he trying to show Doug that we have nothing in reserve

Cata

Defo Dabo for me, Vik was on Taylor who did a wide run and Vik got blocked off, but Dabo lost Beyer who got the goal.

Cata

That's incorrect pal. A straight red can be anything from 1 game to 6 games banned.
A) I am not your pal and B) I should have said a minimum of 3. Of course they can be more, sorry to have mislead you. Just replying to the idea that you could get a 1 game ban for a straight red

Users who are viewing this thread