Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Bristol City Match Thread - Sunday 1st Jan (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

As Pete said, I think the actual words were something like "Ben has made a couple of odd decisions in possession recently".

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I agree , but less than hamer who on another day could have cost us points

Point is , our midfield has been poor in the last 3 or 4 matches ... and if our midfield is off it we generally don't do well

OldBedrocker

Disappointing but oh well least we didn't lose. If we pick up important points during our bad patch gives us a chance if we do manage to get back to winning ways.

Fixture list eases up a bit now and hopefully we can get 2-3 signings in too.

Unbeaten in 2023!

Pusb
Eases up a bit? Next 4 are Burnley away, Norwich home, Huddersfield home and Preston away.

PVA

He thought biamou should have been retained ahead of Gyokeres

Stop making stuff up you weirdo. You were saying the same things about Gyokeres at the time.

In fact you were lamenting the recruitment department for signing someone worse than Biamou and bakayoko.

Grendel

Why are we keeping players he doesn't rate then? Even signing them in the first place, Hilsner sat about on a decent wage costing us money for his treatment.
I suppose it depends if cheap means worth keeping as he’s cheap - he just doesn’t look anything like the level - saying he’s better than Waghorn as some do is outrageous really

Grendel

Stop making stuff up you weirdo. You were saying the same things about Gyokeres at the time.

In fact you were lamenting the recruitment department for signing someone worse than Biamou and bakayoko.

Sorry?

I said we should sign him? Evidence is there

Cata

Allow Allen to play deeper for a while without the responsibility to get up and down the pitch as much. Thought part of the problem with Doyle and Panzo was they didn't want to pass backwards to Wilson and there was only Hamer offering for a regular pass into the midfield, so it was all very obvious and telegraphed during that period which played into the hands of their press. We needed 10 minutes of easy options and triangles up the pitch, to get our foot back on the ball and push Bristol back a bit.
Allen is often the wrong side (not goal side) is too light weight to play defensive. Has a good heart and engine but would not get a game if we added a couple of players.

Grendel

Grendel

Here PVA thinks we should retain Max and let Gyokeres go?

Brighton Sky Blue

Don’t understand why players like Tavares and Cashman are being blamed for our squad problems - they’re just cheap dart throws who are there to make up the numbers. It’s players like Waghorn and Palmer who are the real costly mistakes - if you’re going to hoover up resources in signing them then you should be expecting so much more in return than we’ve actually got.

Those two clunkers aside, all in all the last recruitment team have done a fantastic job - players like O’Hare, Gyokeres, McFadzean and Hamer have been acquired cheaply and been honed into players who we’d otherwise never be able to afford (and - Fadz aside - could keep the club afloat financially). Remains to be seen whether the new recruitment team can repeat the trick, but we’re fucked if they can’t.
Our old friend from Barnsley did warn us about going down that route, and you can see he had a point.

Grendel

About going down what route? Buying good players cheaply?

Our problem is that we’ve failed to move players on and reinvest.

buying Tavares was fine as it could have worked it’s extending his deal that’s baffling as he’s nowhere near this level and never will be

PVA

Here PVA thinks we should retain Max and let Gyokeres go?

No that's me saying if Biamou is ahead of him in the pecking order there's little point keeping him.

He started the next 15 games on the bench after that comment so he wasn't exactly pulling up trees then was he?

You were saying the exact same thing at the time so shut up you fucking weirdo.

Grendel

No that's me saying if Biamou is ahead of him in the pecking order there's little point keeping him.

He started the next 15 games on the bench after that comment so he wasn't exactly pulling up trees then was he?

You were saying the exact same thing at the time so shut up you fucking weirdo.

well only an idiot would have thought he’d remain behind and as I said we should sign him. Why are you lying

pusbccfc

Don’t understand why players like Tavares and Cashman are being blamed for our squad problems - they’re just cheap dart throws who are there to make up the numbers. It’s players like Waghorn and Palmer who are the real costly mistakes - if you’re going to hoover up resources in signing them then you should be expecting so much more in return than we’ve actually got.

Those two clunkers aside, all in all the last recruitment team have done a fantastic job - players like O’Hare, Gyokeres, McFadzean and Hamer have been acquired cheaply and been honed into players who we’d otherwise never be able to afford (and - Fadz aside - could keep the club afloat financially). Remains to be seen whether the new recruitment team can repeat the trick, but we’re fucked if they can’t.

There's been an awful lot of deadwood though. Vik, Sheaf and Hamer great assets.

As Grendal is saying though, the wider issue is lumping contracts on players that are deteriorating.

Godden was a gamble and Kelly should not have had an extension.

PVA

well only an idiot would have thought he’d remain behind and as I said we should sign him. Why are you lying

I'm not lying? I was stating that Gyokeres was behind Biamou in the pecking order. You were saying the exact same thing at the time. You said we should sign him 2 months later. I don't know what your problem is.

David O'Day

I'm not lying? I was stating that Gyokeres was behind Biamou in the pecking order. You were saying the exact same thing at the time. You said we should sign him 2 months later. I don't know what your problem is.
what would kenny jackett do though

NorthernWisdom

Half of our squad aren’t good enough who are on contracts. Some of our higher earners aren’t performing. This league is a lottery. The likes of millwall and Luton aren’t exactly big money clubs either. This is a combination of strange recruitment and lack of owner support when we needed to push on
Expect the likes of Luton to fade away however - they're currently in anomoly situation, not necessarily an example of how to do things medium-long term.

NorthernWisdom

buying Tavares was fine as it could have worked it’s extending his deal that’s baffling as he’s nowhere near this level and never will be
tbf he was only ever intended to be 4th, 5th choice this season - see how and if he improves with us while training, and ship him out if he doesn't (somebody lower down would take a punt). Him in the squad isn't the issue, him being mooted as saviour is what is!

PVA

tbf he was only ever intended to be 4th, 5th choice this season - see how and if he improves with us while training, and ship him out if he doesn't (somebody lower down would take a punt). Him in the squad isn't the issue, him being mooted as saviour is what is!

Exactly! I don't know why some people struggle with that concept.

He was trusted and rated enough to get a new deal in the summer, so Robins clearly has a plan for him but that plan wasn't to be relied upon at this stage.

NorthernWisdom

He was trusted and rated enough to get a new deal in the summer, so Robins clearly has a plan for him but that plan wasn't to be relied upon at this stage.
It's more there's a cry for him to come on as if he'll change everything during a game, that's a little grating. Much as Adams didn't fancy using Thornton despite the popular wisdom, there's the same here and it makes the going... hard when his reputation rises the more he doesn't play.

tbf what he did show today is that if we actually had an adequate striker with a bit of pace, it might be useful, however!

Grendel

Can't believe Norwich aren't looking at him, no compensation to pay either what with him being unemployed after *checks notes* getting sacked in League Two.

Are Norwich looking at Robins?

Grendel

So the plan - assuming we want promotion on the next 3 seasons is what exactly?

Grendel

Hes just a stupid contract extension. A lazy decision and an easy one.

NorthernWisdom

Hes just a stupid contract extension. A lazy decision and an easy one.
I don't mind that one. Somebody has to be about for when all the first choice strikers are either injured, shit, or both!

And if after this season he really ain't up to it, he's young enough for a season on loan and if it goes well, there's a fee of sorts to look forward to - if badly, then he's the cheap backup for when we're desperate.

clint van damme

We go from looking like play off contenders to, well, this. Its fucking shite.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No we haven't.
We've gone from looking like a mid table team to still looking like a mid table team.
The usual suspects are creaming themselves at the prospect of us being in a relegation battle, fuckng weirdos.

Users who are viewing this thread