And The Cracks are Beggining to Show (1 Viewer)

BackRoomRummermill

Our drop in form coincides with fielding our ever increasing ex perm players who are past it, get rid of them I say ( I said this when they singed ) they offer nothing and have unsettled the young guys who were the real stars in the first half of the season.

mechaishida

I have constantly been saying 'we're top 6' and 'We're only so many points behind the automatic places' etc. But today, right here and now I think we need to really look at the trend in our form and also at our performances.

You look at today and you have to say we don't have a cat in hell's chance of even making the play-offs.

Bottom line is, for it to be the case for us to be contenders something has to change. We have to bring players in on Monday. We simply have too.

I honestly think it is probably right to do a deal for Maddison, only on the proviso though that money is made available for players to come in.

There is too much wrong and off the top of my head, these things all need addressing:

1. Our defence looks all at sea. That's now 7 goals conceded in 3 games.

2. When Murphy is picked and is off his game we really suffer. He's been poor now for 3 games in a row.

3. Stokes. If Stokes has to play left back, we have to support him when he is coming forwards on the left flank. It is happening time and time again, we give him the ball and then just leave him out there on his Todd with no support whatsoever.

Think Stokes should move back to centre back anyway to be honest and we go for a left back to bring in to the club.

4. We still lack a plan b. When teams better us, we don't seem to be able to change things to bring any influence on the game. We only seem to have the one way of playing.

5. Ramage and Bigi. These players shouldn't be at the club unfortunately. I sincerely hope we bring in a centre back and Ramage is condemned to the bench and if Bigi is to play, I think it needs to be much further up the field.

Weeks ago, I suggested that the forward line performs when Murphy does. Strangely, this seems to be ringing true, again.

Agree with all of that, mate, spot on.

Otis

Our drop in form coincides with fielding our ever increasing ex perm players who are past it, get rid of them I say ( I said this when they singed ) they offer nothing and have unsettled the young guys who were the real stars in the first half of the season.
Can't say anyone unsettled Murphy today though.

Grendel

A new low for Grendel today

Oh really? Sorry I have seen numerous occasions where the team has dominated early season and collapsed disastrously at the turn of the year.

According to you we are assured of promotion - whose to blame if we implode?

Grendel

Dead right - we should have left well alone.

Brylowes

People calling for TM's head are being knee-jerk.

People wanting answers for the capitulation in recent months are entitled to those answers. We go from top of the table, to 6th amidst a torrid, bemusing run of form. Blaming a lack of CB's is getting thin now, as we are not looking like scoring anymore.
But a teams attaking prowess is built on a sound defence.The midfield & forwards having the freedom to express themselves, while safe in the knowledge everything is under control.

Grendel

But a teams attaking prowess is built on a sound defence.The midfield & forwards having the freedom to express themselves, while safe in the knowledge everything is under control.

Not really. Our defence started with willis at full back and when Johnson was injured we had the best run of the campaign.

Hobo

I think some felt we were the finished article when we're not. We have still had a great season and can still turn things around. Our confidence seems totally shot which has been more and more apparent in the way we have been using the ball in possession. We have become safe and ponderous making it easy for the opposition to organise themselves and defend.

It is not going too be an easy rut to climb out of and might take 3 or. 4 games. The club needs the support of the fans right now.

Brylowes

Not really. Our defence started with willis at full back and when Johnson was injured we had the best run of the campaign.
More things at play then,though.Sometimes a quick fix works OK but when the amount of injuries increase and you are constantly shuffling your back line(add inexperienced GK). Naturally the team becomes more hesitant and less comfortable and confident.IMHO

stupot07

Current form.

Last 6:
2617fbc314c26515a978dc16a8f27236.jpg

Last 10:
5b7234d465e3b991dd1ff87a4aae11c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

So, we need about 6 points to avoid the drop.

Can you see anywhere where we can bag 2 wins?

Samo

Stop it you twats, we'll be fine, get a grip.

Otis

Stop it you twats, we'll be fine, get a grip.
I've been really, really positive, but against Burton, as soon as that first goal went in we didn't have a clue and today was just totally shocking. Scunthorpe tore us apart. Could easily have been 4-0 by half time.

When you look at that and the fact it is 3 lost in a row and we have scored just 2 goals in 8 games and shipped in 8 in the same amount of matches, you do have to start to really wonder where this season is going.

Had we been playing well, but losing, I would have said, we'll turn it around, but today was so abject, so terrible, so pitiful. Nothing about today says play-offs, or potential for the play-offs.

The biggest worry now seemingly is that teams now seem to work out how to nullify us and we have no answer to that.

Brylowes

I've been really, really positive, but against Burton, as soon as that first goal went in we didn't have a clue and today was just totally shocking. Scunthorpe tore us apart. Could easily have been 4-0 by half time.

When you look at that and the fact it is 3 lost in a row and we have scored just 2 goals in 8 games and shipped in 8 in the same amount of matches, you do have to start to really wonder where this season is going.

Had we been playing well, but losing, I would have said, we'll turn it around, but today was so abject, so terrible, so pitiful. Nothing about today says play-offs, or potential for the play-offs.

The biggest worry now seemingly is that teams now seem to work out how to nullify us and we have no answer to that.
Our defencive frailties are obvious and there for all to see-up front we have lost our sparkle.early days were moving the ball so quickly and effectively and switching positions the opposition couldn't keep up. As a fan it was difficult to sit down, but now they seem to have lost their way.

mark82

Win the next 3 against teams also in poor form and with inferior squads and the confidence will soon come back. Hopefully can address the defensive issues then that should have a positive effect all the way through the team.

Brylowes

Win the next 3 against teams also in poor form and with inferior squads and the confidence will soon come back. Hopefully can address the defensive issues then that should have a positive effect all the way through the team.
Would love you to be right-we have to stay positive

Samo

Be even more positive. This spell won't last. Do you think we are suddenly a poor team?

stupot07

Be even more positive. This spell won't last. Do you think we are suddenly a poor team?

No, but we wouldn't be the first team to be top at the halfway stage then plummet like a stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

We are looking like it at the moment. I know it's only the last 3 games, but yesterday we were so awful. Words cannot even begin to describe just how bad we are and the cracks are indeed beginning to show.

If TM was to bring in at least 3 new players tomorrow I would be feeling a lot more confident, but he now seems to be only talking about two and some going out in the opposite direction too. That's a worry, depending on who is going from the club.

My biggest concerns right now are:

Ramage - Who is just so slow and to be frank, a liablity at the back. Seemingly all the negative things we had heard about him when he was first linked have been proved right. He's only played 3 games for us and we have lost them all and shipped in 7 goals. That was a shocking display from him yesterday.

Murphy - Who seems to be well out of form. Don't think he's haad a good game since Crewe and when he doesn't play well we really struggle and it's also like playing with 10 men. Would really think it's worth considering sticking him on the bench and seeing if he can be a threat coming on for the last 20 mins or so.

Ricketts - On a bad run of form. At the start of the season he was majestic and looked real quality. Now he has become error-ridden and looked tired and not been half as assured as he previously was. Massive worry, because the defence has been so, so shaky of late.

Stokes - TM seriously needs to look at supporting the bloke down the left flank when we are going forwards, it's now getting ridiculous.

We move forwards, give the ball out to Stokes on the left and then just leave him there totally unsupported and then nearly every single time the only thing Stokes can do is to pass the ball backwards or sideways. It really is just ridiculous and very, very predictable. When we give him the ball out on the left there is usually no-one within 10 yards of him, so you have to think, what's the point?

Cole - TM seriously needs to look at how he fits into the City set-up. Every since he has arrived we have started to look rather disjointed and it seems like we have been bending over backwards to accomodate him..

Armstrong - We have to give the lad more support. It's as simple as that. Half the time we are leaving him isolated and he is being crowded out. Needs adressing as a matter of urgency.

Goalkeeper - Think most agree we should have brought an experienced keeper in. With tM now only talking of maybe two players coming in, we now know that is not going to happen.

Hunt - Seems to have lost at least a yard of pace and his best days are well, well behind him. Fingers crossed that he's just getting up to speed, but I fear that he might just be another has-been who should be hanging up his boots.

The trend has been downwards, but I have thought it was just a blip. Yesterday was no blip. Yesterday was the worst of City, the ghost of bad performances past and it's not like we can just say it's a one off bad day at the office. That's 3 defeats in a row and that was so, so bad yesterday. How do you turn things around from that pile of dog crap?

Even more worrying next week is the loss of Vincelot to suspension. I know Fleck is back, but Vincelot is such a vital cog in all the good things we do. Who on earth have we got to replace Vincelot? Without him I fear for us next week at Port Vale. I really don't think Rose is that type of player at all is he?

We may not be a poor team, but we are certainly playing like one at the moment and with the defence that's all over the place, the loss of form of Murphy and the fact that teams have no seemingly sussed us out and know how to nullify us, you can't say anything but that's a big, big worry.

I wait with baited breath to see what happens tomorrow. 2 in maybe, but who's going out? What happens if one of them is Fleck? What then? The worry is that it maybe 2 in, 2 out, but that we need at least 3 in! We need as a minimum to my mind, a CB, a speedy, tricky winger who can get round the back of the fullbacks and another striker.

I have been so, so positive, but it really does seem like the wheels are coming off. What we do tomorrow now in the transfer windown has become so vital to how our season will pan out.

Do some really good business tomorrow and I will become much more positive again, but we must drop Ramage now and declare it an experiement that went horribly wrong and we need to sort out the Murphy loss of form situation, bring in a commading centre back and address how we support Armstrong up front, cos frankly, at the moment, the guy is wasted up there all by himself.

Last edited:

phildownunder

I only listen on the radio but, from my perspective, I think you`ve summed up the problems and dilemmas very well.

The over arching problem is that almost every player is out of form right now. A team can cope with two or three not playing well but not when all or most of the team are below par, and the worry is that this has become a pattern over several games now.

Certain players are committing basic errors and that certainly doesn`t help but it`s the form of the team as a whole that worries me.

Like you I`d like to see three players come in but if it has to be two I think a CB and a striker are priorities.

Otis

I only listen on the radio but, from my perspective, I think you`ve summed up the problems and dilemmas very well.

The over arching problem is that almost every player is out of form right now. A team can cope with two or three not playing well but not when all or most of the team are below par, and the worry is that this has become a pattern over several games now.

Certain players are committing basic errors and that certainly doesn`t help but it`s the form of the team as a whole that worries me.

Like you I`d like to see three players come in but if it has to be two I think a CB and a striker are priorities.

It is the loss of form of certain players and the loss of a commanding centre back for sure. It seems like when Murphy plays well, we play well. Ricketts' loss of form has been key too. The defence is now looking very, very shaky indeed.

Good job you weren't there yesterday, Phil. It was so embarrassing. Scunthorpe really should have been 4 goals up. They were just cutting through us like butter and it was men versus boys. The literally had 3 tap-ins from breakaways if players had simply just put the ball across to unmarked players in our box.

I have been very positive, but I do also remember people saying, just look to February when we have a much easier run of matches. Well, that was the first one yesterday and that was at home and that was one of the worst performances we have put in for some time and by far and away the worst we have played all season by some distance.

It was truly, truly dreadful. Anyone who had walked into the ground with any knowledge of placings, would have thought a Legaue One team was playing a Sunday league pub team second 11 (and that's probably disrespecting a Sunday league pub team second 11).

Would feel a lot better about next week if Vincelot was available. We may well have Fleck back, but Vincelot is just as vital to this team.

As I say, what we do tomorrow is so vital to how our season is going to go. Do good business and we can be back in with a good chance. Inability to address the inadequacies and it is going to be midtable mediocrity. The cutting teams apart has ceased, Armstrong is getting crowded out, Murphy's out of form, Ricketts is out of form, Ramage is not the answer, we are not supporting Stokes, we are not creating enough or scoring enough and we are shipping goals all over the place.

Besides that, everything in the garden is rosy. :whistle:

Otis

It was only a matter of weeks ago that we were 11 points clear of 7th place. It is now down to 6 and some teams below us now have 2 games in hand.

Something drastically needs to change.

Oh and I missed Bigi out of that list too. That lad is NO defensive midfielder and we should never play him there again to my mind.

Otis

In poor form? Port Vale have only lost one home game all season.

Inferior squads? Like Oldham and Scunthorpe and Southend perhaps?

Next week will be very, very tough, let's make no bones about it and missing Vincelot is going to be a huge blow.

I would say a draw is a great result, though in the grand scheme of things obviously it won't be will it.

Sick Boy

In poor form? Port Vale have only lost one home game all season.

Inferior squads? Like Oldham and Scunthorpe and Southend perhaps?

Next week will be very, very tough, let's make no bones about it and missing Vincelot is going to be a huge blow.

I would say a draw is a great result, though in the grand scheme of things obviously it won't be will it.

Agreed; it's the same dillusional disrespect that was shown to other teams and look what happened.

Macca

Port Vale are a tinpot club. Our squad is the best in this dog shit league. 4- 0 city. Armstrong hat trick

Otis

Port Vale are a tinpot club. Our squad is the best in this dog shit league. 4- 0 city. Armstrong hat trick
The best but on a horrendous run then! And it is horrendous.

Would you say we have the best keeper? The best defence? The answer to both those is a resounding no unfortunately. We have weapons at the other end of the field, but our defence is all over the place and though I like RCC, you would have to say we have maybe the weakest keepers in this division.

It's great that every week we can say we're still in the top 6, but as we do so the gap is narrowing and we keep failing to pick up points.

What I don't see is how we are suddenly going to turn this round. Our only hope is to do good business in the transfer window tomorrow.

Macca

Would you say we have the best keeper? The best defence? The answer to both those is a resounding no unfortunately. We have weapons at the other end of the field, but our defence is all over the place and though I like RCC, you would have to say we have maybe the weakest keepers in this division.

It's great that every week we can say we're still in the top 6, but as we do so the gap is narrowing and we keep failing to pick up points.

What I don't see is how we are suddenly going to turn this round. Our only hope is to do good business in the transfer window tomorrow.
I have no idea just thought I'd wheel the standard quotes out

Otis

And can I just add, I have been very much one of those who has been saying 'we're still top 6' after every negative result. There comes a time though when you simply have to look at the form table and see the trend, which is very much downwards.

On what do we base the notion that things will come good again? A team is a team, not a bunch of talented individuals. Too many inadequacies at the moment (keeper, awful defense, loads of errors, not scoring enough).

This can all be addressed tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed it will be. A couple of really quality players in and the garden could all look very rosy again. I have always been a glass half full person and always been optimistic, but at the same time you have to be a realist too and looking at that shambles yesterday it's plain to see there are a number of things wrong.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Think you may be over reacting slightly, it was a shambles yesterday but its not like Scunthorpe outclassed us, most of the Scunthorpe chances were gift wrapped by Ramage.

If Martin and Fleck had played instead of Ramage and Bigi I think we could be looking back at a different result as the two replacements were so, so poor it was unbelievable and dragged the rest of the team down.

We desperately need a big centre half to fill the hole from Reda and a winger with a bit of pace an skill to take the pressure of Murphy. Probably an experienced keeper as well, its not like we need a new 11.

Sick Boy

Oh dear, Otis ;)

stevefloyd

Ahh well maybe there is hope, I remember us playing on telly and losing to Sheff Weds I think it was 4-3 we were lucky to get away with 4 because every time they attacked we looked like conceding, I thought at the time we are doomed but then it just turned round and got better so lets hope history repeats itself

Users who are viewing this thread