Best goal you remember..... (1 Viewer)

James Smith

Pedant alert from me here but pretty sure it would have been Rob Gurney commentating on that game. He was commentating on us for years until we got relegated which then Strachan barred him from the club, effectively leaving him no choice but to move from CWR.

I didn't know that about Rob, and it's a shame because with no disrespect to Clive and Geoff I liked his (sometimes over) enthusiastic commentary.

Calista

* Willie Carr donkey flick to Ernie Hunt
* Jimmy Holmes v Birmingham away shot from 30 years, hitting both posts and trickling over the line
* Hucks v Man united
* Ernie Hunt chipping Tony Waiters [Burnley] from inside the centre circle.
* Larry Lloyd blast past Keeley of Norwich
* Steve Froggett v Everton

That's the one for me :)

Macca

Loved Rob Gurney, when my city interest due to lack of kids and responsibilities was at its peak

Gazolba

If we are talking about Coventry goals, the best one I ever saw was when George Hudson controlled the ball on his chest, flicked it over a defender, then ran around him and scored. The best example of individual skill I ever saw in a CCFC shirt. I'm sure that goal stands out in the memory of anyone who witnessed it.

James Smith

with being 19.. the best goal i can remember to date imo is Andy Whing's goal against Derby, last game at Highfield road

Whilst that was a memorable any of our goals at Wembley including the one that came off Mabbut. That's probably down in part to the fact that I never thought we'd get there.
Time to get out Sky Blue Magic out for a listen.

mechaishida

I didn't know that about Rob, and it's a shame because with no disrespect to Clive and Geoff I liked his (sometimes over) enthusiastic commentary.

Yeah, and I do recall Gurney's last ever commentary on a Cov match, at the end you could feel the genuine sorrow in his voice as he signed off - why did Strachan have him barred from the club? Was it something Rob said on air?

Also, great shout on Moldovan's goal at the Vile, Cranfield; I was there too and I've never almost been deafened by a goal celebration like that since...to be fair, it wasn't the best finish from 4 yards, he scuffed it and Bosnich got a slight hand on it, but wow. Talk about a euphoric, iconic goal.

On the train home, it was legendary. Can't remember the Moldovan song we tried to cobble together, but the strains of ''Chim-chimminey, chim-chimminey, chim-chim-cheroo, oh we beat those bastards in claret and blueeee!" were heard all the way home.

And that set a nice precedent for the 4-1 drubbing at VP the next season, and the 2-1 win at home the season after. Bring 'em on next season. :D

kg82

The Gunnarson goal at Blackburn a few years ago was pretty good! The celebrations for that were pretty hectic also!

Joy Division

Yeah, and I do recall Gurney's last ever commentary on a Cov match, at the end you could feel the genuine sorrow in his voice as he signed off - why did Strachan have him barred from the club? Was it something Rob said on air?

He questioned a lot of Strachan's decisions towards the end of that season in post match interviews, tactically and of his transfers etc. I don't think Strachan liked that one bit and told the radio station that under no circumstances is he allowed access to the club after that.

Rob still goes to City games regularly, he's a good bloke and is a huge fan of the club. I guess its difficult to maintain an unbiased BBC view when you are so passionately in support of a club.

mechaishida

He questioned a lot of Strachan's decisions towards the end of that season in post match interviews, tactically and of his transfers etc. I don't think Strachan liked that one bit and told the radio station that under no circumstances is he allowed access to the club after that.

Rob still goes to City games regularly, he's a good bloke and is a huge fan of the club. I guess its difficult to maintain an unbiased BBC view when you are so passionately in support of a club.

Although I warmed somewhat to Clive Eakin as the years rolled on (plus his bickering with Geoff Foster was brilliant), I always enjoyed Rob's impassioned commentary the best.

Strachan could be a malicious, egotistical little twonk sometimes.

chiefdave

Although I warmed somewhat to Clive Eakin as the years rolled on (plus his bickering with Geoff Foster was brilliant), I always enjoyed Rob's impassioned commentary the best.

I quite like Clive and Geoff to be honest. Think they get a bit too much stick for what can't be an easy job, especially doing the phone in. Don't think i'd be able to do it without swearing at people and putting the phone down on them!

play_in_skyblue_stripes

1. Brian Kilcline v Luton 1985. 5 mins from time. Complete mayhem afterwards.
2. Keith Houchen v Leeds 1987. Incredible noise when obvious we were going to score.
3. Darren Huckerby v Man Utd 1997. Great goal.

Gaz71

Probably been mentioned already but the Cyrille Regis header to win the game 4-3 at home against Spurs. I remember being in the west terrace right behind the goal and think it was Bennett who crossed the ball and Regis rose high to header goal wards only for Clemence to fingertip onto the crossbar and then Regis nodded in the rebound! Amazing football game.

Users who are viewing this thread