England v Uruguay (2 Viewers)

Otis

Bit strange for me all this.

Back in Coventry there are England flags flying everywhere. My own street in particular has more flags up than not. Been In Bedford since Monday though and there is hardly a football flag to be seen anywhere. I have counted 4 England flags and 3 Italian flags.

Had a quick Google and found that Bedford's population is actually 30% Italian, or of Italian descent.

Glad I wasn't in Bedford last Saturday night then.

bringbackrattles

Bit strange for me all this.

Back in Coventry there are England flags flying everywhere. My own street in particular has more flags up than not. Been In Bedford since Monday though and there is hardly a football flag to be seen anywhere. I have counted 4 England flags and 3 Italian flags.

Had a quick Google and found that Bedford's population is actually 30% Italian, or of Italian descent.

Glad I wasn't in Bedford last Saturday night then.
Is Bedford like Luton ? What is it about small towns in England all rough and ready ? Boston in Lincs is a rum place and I remember stopping off at St Neots in Cambridgeshire once back from an away match,and we ended up in a pub brawl with some locals there.Friendly they were not in fact a lot of these towns wouldn't look out of place in The League of Gentlemen !

turlykerd

Is Bedford like Luton ? What is it about small towns in England all rough and ready ? Boston in Lincs is a rum place and I remember stopping off at St Neots in Cambridgeshire once back from an away match,and we ended up in a pub brawl with some locals there.Friendly they were not in fact a lot of these towns wouldn't look out of place in The League of Gentlemen !

the same thing happened to me and some mates in Yate, just outside bristol.we had gone for a wedding but ended up in a massive brawl...it was like the whole town joined in .

on another note....im so pleased this thread has started to move on !!!

COME ON ENGLAND !!!

smileycov

Facebook User
I hope he does play rooney behind sturridge, push rahim out right Welbeck left and let em run riot!! Think we will win tonight.

Otis

I hope he does play rooney behind sturridge, push rahim out right Welbeck left and let em run riot!! Think we will win tonight.

Agree.

I think we need to play Rooney, despite what some are saying. He has the best vision of any player in the team, is very strong at holding the ball up and is very good at making and creating space for others.

I think the selection you have suggested Smiley has been hinted at by a number of papers.

bringbackrattles

the same thing happened to me and some mates in Yate, just outside bristol.we had gone for a wedding but ended up in a massive brawl...it was like the whole town joined in .

on another note....im so pleased this thread has started to move on !!!

COME ON ENGLAND !!!
That brawl in St Neots started with us dozen City fans taking on about the same amount,but we got outnumbered in the end and this was before mobile phones so word quickly spread.
Even local women joined in it ended up like a John Wayne movie.Good job the coppers arrived as were were getting battered !

Otis

Can't see anyone battering anyone here in Bedford. Most of it seems all very posh.

Lost count of how many private schools there are and there's loads of big houses about.

Think the big things here are rugby union and rowing.

Mind, in saying that, isn't the latter how your punch ups first started too?

J

Jack Griffin

Yeah, I think this will be it, the only different play I could see is that Ox is in fact OK to go (despite the denials).. if so he could start to have a run at the Uruguayans with Sterling on the other flank, then he is bound to be replaced by Wellbeck or Lallana later in the game or if he breaks down.. lets face it although a draw could be good enough, we really need to win this game & get on a roll.. so its either attack or defend & break out.. I think England are better suited to the first plan.

Anyway, good luck to the team tonight..

smileycov

Facebook User
Agree.

I think we need to play Rooney, despite what some are saying. He has the best vision of any player in the team, is very strong at holding the ball up and is very good at making and creating space for others.

I think the selection you have suggested Smiley has been hinted at by a number of papers.

Yea to be fair,I have heard it mentioned a few times this morning. I do like the sound of it, I am definitely in the Rooney starting camp. Lallana out wide instead of Welbeck possibly, (not convinced Ox is fully fit) but hard to change the starting 11 as they played very well.

bringbackrattles

Can't see anyone battering anyone here in Bedford. Most of it seems all very posh.

Lost count of how many private schools there are and there's loads of big houses about.

Think the big things here are rugby union and rowing.

Mind, in saying that, isn't the latter how your punch ups first started too?
You can't beat a good old punch up but when knives started to replace a scrap that became a more dangerous thing.
My dad grew up in Rugby and even in his day he said they used to fight the posh kids from the public school.the rough lads verses the toffs.And he admitted the toffs were the toughest !

Otis

You can't beat a good old punch up but when knives started to replace a scrap that became a more dangerous thing.
My dad grew up in Rugby and even in his day he said they used to fight the posh kids from the public school.the rough lads verses the toffs.And he admitted the toffs were the toughest !

Probably because they are good and dodging, both punches and taxes.

stupot07

Predictions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

turlykerd

i still think rooney should be dropped ...... i feel he has been mollycoddled and wrapped in cotton wool since fergy left and now "expects" to start and has lost his desire

but if he plays, i would love to be proved wrong !!!

either way, good luck england !!

Paxman II

I would perhaps get less defensive minded and put Llanna in for Henderson. We should not need both Gerrard and Henderson holding in the middle.

Otis

I would perhaps get less defensive minded and put Llanna in for Henderson. We should not need both Gerrard and Henderson holding in the middle.

Possibility. I think Hodgson though likes Henderson for his energy. Picks the ball up lays it off. Gerard is a lot slower these days.

As for prediction? I think we will win, but I will be happy with a draw to be honest. All I want is for us to give it a real go and not disappoint.

If we play well like Saturday and lose, then so be it. Too often in the past we have underperformed, been too cautious and not done ourselves justice. If we play well in all 3 games but go out the tournament I won't be that unhappy. Fair bit of luck involved in these things too. We could easily have a dodgy pen go against us tonight that could send us out.

Just want a good performance. Play like we did on Saturday and I think we will win. Do need to push further forwards though. Leighton Baines is no use to us at all if he sepnds 90% of the game defending and not pushing forwards. He is an attacking full back and so is Glen Johnson. When you look at the purported team for tonight, Rooney, Welbeck, Sterling, Henderson, Gerard, Sturridge, Baines, Johnson, then you hardly have a totally defensive minded player amongst any of them.

Attack, attack, attack!!!

bringbackrattles

Off to the pub in a bit with my mate and meet up with my son later.Looking forward to a good night,good atmosphere in the Wheatsheaf,and of course a good win.As I'm a Cov City fan I've given up on predictions as I've been let down too often.
Just go for it England !

Otis

Watching the game in the hotel on an old and decrepit tv.

I think the definition 'warm and fuzzy' - comforting, nice, reassuring, affectionate, needs changing.

My hotel room TV is 'warm and fuzzy' and that is NOT a positive thing at all believe me.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My heart says England will win, but head says 2-1 to U R Gay

J

Jack Griffin

Team sheet
BqgvIdOIYAAIkBt.jpg

Otis

I know this is now retrospective, but surely Hodgson made an error here against Italy.

Speaking to ITV:"Raheem will go wide and Wayne will go central. We were more concerned about Andrea Pirlo in the first game and thought Raheem was the man to do that job. It's a different game so we've moved Wayne back into the middle but those three players are very interchangeable and we'll see that.

"The higher the stakes the more it comes into focus but in all matches you need to balance attack and defence.
"You have to trust in the players' ability, experience, belief in themselves and the way we play and I'm sure they've got that faith and belief. You can never totally predict the outcome of a football match but you can predict your team are in the right shape to play the game."

The man to keep tabs on Pirlo was Sterling?

Oh well, nowt we can do about it now. Hope we have the tactics spot on tonight.

Otis

Anyway, I'm going 2-1 England.Take a 2 goal lead, with Uruguay getting a lateish goal and us hanging on for the last 10 mins.

Otis

Have to say we have been piss poor so far.

Passing all over the place, sluggish and loads of mistakes.

Carry on like this and we will be beaten easily.

Users who are viewing this thread