Film Thread 2014 (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Watched 'Zero Dark Thirty' last night. Very interesting movie and really enjoyed it.

Got me reading into all sorts of stuff about CIA Black sites, enhanced interrogation techniques etc until the early hours this morning.

ccfc92

Saw purge 2 last night, highly recommend it. anyone who's seen the first, the 2nds 100 times better.

Saw planet of the apes 2 last week, again highly recommend it.

still think wolf of wall street is the best film I've seen for many years though! some of the chicks in it :guitar2::pimp:

SlowerThanPlatt

Mistaken For Strangers is on Film4 tonight, for all you The National/music/general film fans. 11.05pm iirc.

For all neutrals Rotten Tomatoes have it at 91% and describe it as "A suitably complicated look at fraternal bonds, Mistaken for Strangers offers more depth and insight than the usual tour documentary." plus the music is mostly The National who are one of the best bands on the planet.

ccfc92

Watched - A million ways to die in the west, which was a bit shit however just seen Bad Neighbors which quite enjoyed, very funny

I didn't think a million ways was that bad tbh. It was better than I expected. But prefer him in animated stuff like TED and family guy etc...

Bad neighbors was good agreed :)

SlowerThanPlatt

Watched 'Filth,' with James McAvoy after a mate raved about it. Honestly, can't see the fuss. I was left unimpressed but won't go into any detail due to spoilers and general tiredness. Didn't enjoy it though.

SlowerThanPlatt

Re-watched Big Bad Wolves

Hebrew language black comedy/horror based around the torture of a pedophile whose raping, torturing and decapitating girls and is kidnapped and tortured by the father of his last victim.

There's some really funny scenes as the directors attempts to weave a film that's partly philosophical and political whilst having at it's core a really dark humour....and in my opinion it's successful.

Still one of my favourite films from last year.

Nick

Administrator
Watched Non Stop with Liam Neeson, typical Liam Neeson film.

Started watching Old Boy but fell asleep.

dutchman

Just watched Divergent, was looking forward to it but it was quite disappointing!!

"Disappointing"? I thought it was downright loathsome!

Here's a spoof trailer for the movie. It contains spoilers so don't watch if you plan on watching the movie later:

[video=youtube;qPUZo3dQSEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPUZo3dQSEM[/video]

Covstu

Have you read all the books Covstu - I enjoyed the film

i have read the first two, just on the third now and thought they were excellent but i think this is my problem that they have missed chunks out of the book that tie the storyline together. It just seemed rushed to me

Inbetweeners 2. It is what it is and that is funny as phuck. Laugh out loud for the majority. I wouldn't bother going to see it if you don't find humour funny though. If you are one of those numpties that sits in the corner of the pub moaning.......you won't like it.

Otis

I saw Star Wars for the first ever time yesterday.

Never, ever appealed to me and any clips I have seen in the past I have thought were really cheesy. It's a bit odd for me really cos I am a big fan of sci fi and have always really liked Harrison Ford. Everything should have been in place for me to like it, but having seen it for the first ever time, I did just feel it was indeed really cheesy and in parts plain embarrassing.

Last 20 mins or so were very good though, but why all the hoo-ha over it I'll never know. Maybe ground breaking in its style, but that doesn't just make it a good film on the back of that.

I have a friend who watches one of the Star Wars films every week, come rain or shine. I just don't get it.

Give me Alien, Bladerunner or Close Encounters over this any day of the week.

Johnnythespider

Watched the railway man the other day, a little slow starting but very good in the end.

turlykerd

Inbetweeners 2. It is what it is and that is funny as phuck. Laugh out loud for the majority. I wouldn't bother going to see it if you don't find humour funny though. If you are one of those numpties that sits in the corner of the pub moaning.......you won't like it.

Nice one ... I didn't realize there was a second :)
I'll try and find it online later

SlowerThanPlatt

Watched Inbetweeners 2 last night.

Haven't been so close to walking out of a cinema since Skyline. Just boring, re-hashed gags from British gross out comedies from decades ago like Kevin and Perry Go Large. Just half built little stories and then had zero pay off. It's like they thought 'this would be quite funny' without considering the characters they've built up from the TV series and the first film. And then I looked at the reviews....and they're generally quite good :eek:

Watched Inbetweeners 2 last night.

Haven't been so close to walking out of a cinema since Skyline. Just boring, re-hashed gags from British gross out comedies from decades ago like Kevin and Perry Go Large. Just half built little stories and then had zero pay off. It's like they thought 'this would be quite funny' without considering the characters they've built up from the TV series and the first film. And then I looked at the reviews....and they're generally quite good :eek:

It's stupid it's not serious and it does have a story. If you went expecting something different to previous inbetweeners episodes or the film then you went to see the wrong thing. It's absolutely classic inbetweeners. The whole story of Jay being in Oz and the road trip is all based on the one single story, so I'm not sure where the idea of half built little stories comes from? Ok there are side stories that are funny and do lead somewhere. The rapid racer scene is one of the funniest I have seen in a long time.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've never watched Inbetweeners on TV so I won't be watching the film version. :sleep:

Otis

It's stupid it's not serious and it does have a story. If you went expecting something different to previous inbetweeners episodes or the film then you went to see the wrong thing. It's absolutely classic inbetweeners. The whole story of Jay being in Oz and the road trip is all based on the one single story, so I'm not sure where the idea of half built little stories comes from? Ok there are side stories that are funny and do lead somewhere. The rapid racer scene is one of the funniest I have seen in a long time.

You say tomato he says tomato.

You say tomato he says tomato.

No I said Onion he said Tomato.

I said Chalk he said Cheese.

I said lemon he said Lime.

I said cheese on Toast he said Cheese Sandwich.

I said Pink he said Brown.

I said Kahlua and Coke he said Coffee.

I said Southern Comfort he said Bells.

I said stay part of the UK he said Independance.

Last edited:

Otis

Did he? Must have been by subliminal messaging then.

Many apologies for not picking that up.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Sorry to sound like an old fart, but if this is from the film script, I DEFINATELY won't be watching it! :confused:

Covstu

I saw Star Wars for the first ever time yesterday.

Never, ever appealed to me and any clips I have seen in the past I have thought were really cheesy. It's a bit odd for me really cos I am a big fan of sci fi and have always really liked Harrison Ford. Everything should have been in place for me to like it, but having seen it for the first ever time, I did just feel it was indeed really cheesy and in parts plain embarrassing.

Last 20 mins or so were very good though, but why all the hoo-ha over it I'll never know. Maybe ground breaking in its style, but that doesn't just make it a good film on the back of that.

I have a friend who watches one of the Star Wars films every week, come rain or shine. I just don't get it.

Give me Alien, Bladerunner or Close Encounters over this any day of the week.

Close Encounters has a shit load of cheese matey!!

Otis

Close Encounters has a shit load of cheese matey!!

You think?

Can I ask where? Be interested to know. :)

Tob be fair to Star Wars it is nearly 40 years old, so am guessing at the time it looked and felt a lot better. The cheesy bits for me included the bar scene, which I found excrutiatingly bad. The alien band playing old style planet Earth jazz?!! What was all that about? Bizarre. Also the ridiculous looking aliens.

The other two things that really bothered me was how bad a shot all the baddies were to a man and the fact that Carrie Fisher's accent suddenly went from English to American for some strange reason.

For me Close Encounters is a much, much better film, though I do accept that these are slightly differing genres.

ccfc92

You think?

Can I ask where? Be interested to know. :)

Tob be fair to Star Wars it is nearly 40 years old, so am guessing at the time it looked and felt a lot better. The cheesy bits for me included the bar scene, which I found excrutiatingly bad. The alien band playing old style planet Earth jazz?!! What was all that about? Bizarre. Also the ridiculous looking aliens.

The other two things that really bothered me was how bad a shot all the baddies were to a man and the fact that Carrie Fisher's accent suddenly went from English to American for some strange reason.

For me Close Encounters is a much, much better film, though I do accept that these are slightly differing genres.

Have you watched all 6 Otis?

If not, I recommend starting from episode 1. Will make a lot more sense.

Huge fan of the films. Hoping the new franchise of them will be good, but not holding out any hopes :)

Otis

Have you watched all 6 Otis?

If not, I recommend starting from episode 1. Will make a lot more sense.

Huge fan of the films. Hoping the new franchise of them will be good, but not holding out any hopes :)

No, I haven't. Just the first one. I really tried to like it, I really did.

I'm going to watch all of them. They're on ITV every Saturday for the next few weeks.

Guess what's bugging me is the critics who are saying this first film is a classic and one of the best films of all time, where for me it was just okay at best. My friend reckons the 2nd is better than the first so I shall give that a whirl on Saturday night.

Am willing to give anything a go and like I say, I am a big fan of sci fi.

Users who are viewing this thread