Film Thread 2014 (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

No, I haven't. Just the first one. I really tried to like it, I really did.

I'm going to watch all of them. They're on ITV every Saturday for the next few weeks.

Guess what's bugging me is the critics who are saying this first film is a classic and one of the best films of all time, where for me it was just okay at best. My friend reckons the 2nd is better than the first so I shall give that a whirl on Saturday night.

Am willing to give anything a go and like I say, I am a big fan of sci fi.

is that episode 2 or 4?

the last 3 were released before the first 3.

Otis

is that episode 2 or 4?

the last 3 were released before the first 3.

Yes I know. I am talking about the first cinematically released film, so number IV. The original Star Wars movie from 1977 or whenever it was.

Always pride myself on being as honest as I possibly can, and I do have to report that I watched the 2nd film in the franchise last night, The Empire Strikes Back. Well, what a difference between the two. I still stand by what I said about the first movie. I found it cheesy, rather embarrassing and mediocre at best, but the 2nd one I thought was a very, very good film indeed.

This film I felt was everything the first one wasn't. It had a much better narrative, was 10 times as gripping and had a lot more humour going for it too. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first movie I found to be all disjointed and hit and miss.

Can only guess that in the first film's defence it has dated very badly and was of its time and I do accept that it was a groundbreaking film in many ways. That doesn't make it a good film though. There's much more to being a classic than to just be groundbreaking.

The Empire Strikes Back I felt had a much more Indiana Jones feel about it, a boys own adventure and it was all the better for it.

Pretty sure my friend said that the third in the series along with this one were the two best films, so I will therefore set the recorder for Return od the Jedi next week.

turlykerd

we have just watch divergance and spiderman 2 this weekend ...they were watchable, but we felt like they were aimed at a younger audience .

dutchman

we have just watch divergance and spiderman 2 this weekend ...they were watchable, but we felt like they were aimed at a younger audience.

Yeah, 12 year-old girls!
lol.gif

Nick

Administrator
Watched Inbetweeners 2 last night, a couple of funny bits (typical inbetweeners funny bits) but a lot of it was a bit poor like the first film :(

Colonel Mustard

Really? That's a surprise. Heard such good things about it. Guess it depends what you are looking for in movie doesn't it.

It does. I watched Godzilla and also found it a bore. I'm surprised it received such a positive reception.

There is this talented ensemble cast playing cliche-to-go roles. The story structure is clunky and hard to follow at times, and then you just have big CGI monsters bashing each other against a CGI background. It felt empty.

I did see a movie this weekend that was at the opposite end of the spectrum in every way: Locke. It features one actor (Tom Hardy) in a car, driving from Birmingham to London, making and receiving phonecalls during one torrid night. It's only 85 minutes long and practically takes place in real time. It's a gripping flick which I highly recommend.

Otis

It does. I watched Godzilla and also found it a bore. I'm surprised it received such a positive reception.

There is this talented ensemble cast playing cliche-to-go roles. The story structure is clunky and hard to follow at times, and then you just have big CGI monsters bashing each other against a CGI background. It felt empty.

I did see a movie this weekend that was at the opposite end of the spectrum in every way: Locke. It features one actor (Tom Hardy) in a car, driving from Birmingham to London, making and receiving phonecalls during one torrid night. It's only 85 minutes long and practically takes place in real time. It's a gripping flick which I highly recommend.

Yep, heard of Locke and seen some very positive reviews.

dutchman

Godzilla is another of those "Made for 3D" movies where everything is secondary to the 3D effects.

I watched the Blu-ray version in 2D and it was a complete waste of two hours.

The same goes for a lot recent movies I'm afraid, no matter how well they did at the box office.

Marty

Frank, Didn't really understand what it was about. was an ok watch. 6/10

frank-michael-fassbender-trailer.jpg

Covstu

Watched inbetweeners 2 the other day, more of the same from the first film but really enjoyed it. The waterslide scene was hilarious!

Really want to see Sin City 2, the first one was amazing..

Colonel Mustard

Edge of Tomorrow: fine blend of story, action and humour (surprising for a Tom Cruise vehicle), but let down by its crash-bang final act. 6.5/10

shmmeee

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday, mainly because it was that or Box Trolls with my daughter, but really enjoyed it. One of the best Marvel films, lots of comedy and popcorn action sequences. If you like the good Marvel films, this is easily up there with the likes of The Avengers.

SlowerThanPlatt

Enjoyed Locke a lot. Tom Hardy kills it. Thought the ending could have been slightly less open ended though, or maybe the obvious outcome is what was implied.

Want to give Calgary and The Raid 2 a go next.

Nick

Administrator
Enjoyed Locke a lot. Tom Hardy kills it. Thought the ending could have been slightly less open ended though, or maybe the obvious outcome is what was implied.

Want to give Calgary and The Raid 2 a go next.
Is that the one about a car journey?

Users who are viewing this thread