Is the Butts deal imminent? (1 Viewer)

Hobo

According to Cov Rugby fans at the forum, a few ideas that were mentioned and floated out as future possibilities have been seized upon and blown out of all proportion.

Otis

Not sure anything is set in stone yet.
Tim Fisher and representitatives from Coventry Rugby Club are meeting with SCG on Wednesday so hopefully more information available to follow.

I think the key question on everyone's lips is in regard to the reality of being able to expand to 25,000 and whether it is believed that is truly possible and that it could go through despite local opposition and the road infrastructure.

Grendel

I think the key question on everyone's lips is in regard to the reality of being able to expand to 25,000 and whether it is believed that is truly possible and that it could go through despite local opposition and the road infrastructure.
Not really if the OP is correct (and I yesterday was advised something similar) that wasps want to go it alone - then 10,000 will be a better alternative than Sixfields.

cmoncity

I think there is so many obstacles to overcome..parking would be a major issue as would the road system. No way could that take a matchday at the mo

Nick

Administrator
I can't see how anything can be imminent, it might progress a bit but a long way from being set in stone.

dongonzalos

Not sure anything is set in stone yet.
Tim Fisher and representitatives from Coventry Rugby Club are meeting with SCG on Wednesday so hopefully more information available to follow.

Steve if you don't mind could I ask you or anybody else at the meeting to please spend some time explaining to Tim Fisher why 15k isn't an acceptable starting point.
Ask him why when we're talking to Rugby Council the starting point was 18k.
When he points out about been careful and looking at the history of attendances.
Could you point out that the history he is looking at is based on 15 years of decline and nearly 30 since any success.
Yet whilst in the Championship for most seasons we were averaging 20k plus. I think he will be expecting us the be in the championship by the end of next season, so 15k isn't acceptable.
Hope you don't mind asking
Thanks

Captain Dart

None of it really adds up, anyone who accepts the Butts plan at face value must be a fool. There are genuine issues concerning access, parking, ownership, and most importantly capacity.
Furthermore where is the money coming from to expand from 15,000, it is a huge leap of faith in my opinion to believe SISU would actually go ahead with that, they've had many plans before and nothing has worked.

I suspect in the unlikely event they proceed and get planning City will be lumbered with a stadium that can only hold a crowd of circa 13,500 (allowing for crowd segregation), they'll never get out of Division 3, any gain in Stadium revenue will be exceeded by increases in maintenance costs and loss of ticket revenue.

I still think this is more of a negotiating tactic than any realistic plan to move home.

SkyBlueSid

None of it really adds up, anyone who accepts the Butts plan at face value must be a fool. There are genuine issues concerning access, parking, ownership, and most importantly capacity.
Furthermore where is the money coming from to expand from 15,000, it is a huge leap of faith in my opinion to believe SISU would actually go ahead with that, they've had many plans before and nothing has worked.

I suspect in the unlikely event they proceed and get planning City will be lumbered with a stadium that can only hold a crowd of circa 13,500 (allowing for crowd segregation), they'll never get out of Division 3, any gain in Stadium revenue will be exceeded by increases in maintenance costs and loss of ticket revenue.

I still think this is more of a negotiating tactic than any realistic plan to move home.
This has been my impression from the start of the suggestions that we move to the BPA. The rugby club get about 1000 people for their games, which is insignificant in terms of what happens in the surrounding area on match days. The idea of even 10000 turning up for football is a non-starter, given the limited access, parking and available space in the area. It would be utter chaos and complete traffic gridlock in all directions.

The BPA would be a suitable ground share for a non-league club and there would simply be no point in building three more stands there even if there was room to do so. I am tempted to say that on the day City run out there for a league game I would bare my arse in Burton's window, but with Sisu on board, who knows what madness we face.

Otis

This has been my impression from the start of the suggestions that we move to the BPA. The rugby club get about 1000 people for their games, which is insignificant in terms of what happens in the surrounding area on match days. The idea of even 10000 turning up for football is a non-starter, given the limited access, parking and available space in the area. It would be utter chaos and complete traffic gridlock in all directions.

You're not allowed to be reasoned and rational with the obvious concerns. That is negativity.

Jump aboard the gridlocked, ignore the objections, Butts fun bus to Shangri La.

Whoo woo!!!

clint van damme

The BPA would be a suitable ground share for a non-league club and there would simply be no point in building three more stands there even if there was room to do so. I am tempted to say that on the day City run out there for a league game I would bare my arse in Burton's window, but with Sisu on board, who knows what madness we face.

some valid points. I live close to the Butts and I just don't think the sites capable taking the sort of crowds we'd get.

As I said on another thread, if it had been an option prior to the retirement village and hotel it may have been possible but I don't think it's feasible now.

Even pedestrian access is fairly limited.

I'm sure they'll be cleverer people than me weighing up the options if indeed there is any mileage in this story at all.

Otis

some valid points. I live close to the Butts and I just don't think the sites capable taking the sort of crowds we'd get.

As I said on another thread, if it had been an option prior to the retirement village and hotel it may have been possible but I don't think it's feasible now.

Even pedestrian access is fairly limited.

I'm sure they'll be cleverer people than me weighing up the options if indeed there is any mileage in this story at all.

Yep, before the retirement village it would have been ideal and a real goer I reckon.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Yep, before the retirement village it would have been ideal and a real goer I reckon.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

What's wrong with forming a relationship with the retirement village? Get some of those watching every week.

Wasn't there planning for a 15k stadium before? What happens if Cov Rugby get successful and they get big crowds?

clint van damme

What's wrong with forming a relationship with the retirement village? Get some of those watching every week.

Wasn't there planning for a 15k stadium before? What happens if Cov Rugby get successful and they get big crowds?
when I'm talking about the site not been viable since the retirement village I'm not referring to conflict with the owners or residents but how much space it's taken and how it's restricted access to the arena.

D

Deleted member 2477

The day sisu take us to a poxy equivelent of a non league ground holding 15000 is the day we will all realise the club is dead and going no where under these lot.

If sisu think our club should be based in a ground like the butts somes up for me that they have no ambition or intention of moving the club forard or getting us out this league. The quicker they leave our club the better

chiefdave

The idea of even 10000 turning up for football is a non-starter, given the limited access, parking and available space in the area. It would be utter chaos and complete traffic gridlock in all directions.

These problems didn't seem to impact the previous planning application for a larger stadium there.

Not saying there won't be issues but it is really that different to somewhere like St Marys?

ccfc92

These problems didn't seem to impact the previous planning application for a larger stadium there.

Not saying there won't be issues but it is really that different to somewhere like St Marys?

I did mention St Mary's the other day. It can work, if we need it to.

It just depends on the business plans for me, where this "365 day revenue" will come from etc.

I'm sure it's every bride's dream to get married at the Butts.

chiefdave

It just depends on the business plans for me, where this "365 day revenue" will come from etc.
Spot on, lets see how it compares to other options before we start ripping the idea to pieces and saying it won't work.
If it turns out to be the best option then lets get everyone working to try and solve any problems.

clint van damme

I think it is to be honest. The site has very limited access for pedestrians let alone vehicles.

There's currently no pedestrian access from Albany Road and only limited access from Sovereign Road.

St Marys is a lot more accessible.

Otis

Isn't that the same as talking about City in the Premier League? ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

We had a retirement village on the pitch last year at times:)

Users who are viewing this thread