Match Thread Oxford Utd v Coventry Match Thread - Saturday 19th Nov (1 Viewer)

Astute

Back home now. Have had time to reflect. Will be back no matter what. But not for the next few games as work gets in the way. Won't be taking my little boy until things are better though. Would be good for him to see us win for once.

Heads up lads. It has never been easy being a Coventry supporter. Well not since the 80's. It will come good again.

stevefloyd

Although i could never turn my back on supporting Cov. and it does come pretty close at times, I can see why thousands of fans have thought fuck it and gone possibly to never return again... very sad... it is soul destroying seeing your team beaten but when you see players week in week out performing at what seems like no more than a canter it fucking saddens me .. I dont think I have ever felt so low as I do right now as a Cov supporter as indeed many of you probably do as well, we try to cling to some sort of hope that things may improve but quite clearly the players are either not good enough or are being mismanaged badly... I would love to see Mark Venus take a few enraged fans into the dressing room and let the fuckers face the music... see how they stand up to that

NortonSkyBlue

I understand all of the frustration in this thread but what surprises me is that some of you guys seemed surprised! the performances have been dreadful this season, even the wins and draws, the bounce has been well and truly over for while. I see comments like play Tudgay with Sordell together( remember Oldham at home anyone?) You can't polish a turd.
Yesterday was not a blip, its just that Oxford scored when on top and pressed home the advantage. How I wish we could play like that.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I understand all of the frustration in this thread but what surprises me is that some of you guys seemed surprised! the performances have been dreadful this season, even the wins and draws, the bounce has been well and truly over for while. I see comments like play Tudgay with Sordell together( remember Oldham at home anyone?) You can't polish a turd.
Yesterday was not a blip, its just that Oxford scored when on top and pressed home the advantage. How I wish we could play like that.

Funnily enough i was thinking the same thing, a hammering has been a long time coming this season (suppose we got one at Charlton as well), we ground out/clung out onto draws early on in the season that we arguably didn't deserve and we had a spell of winning under Venus that we again ground out wins where we were pretty poor, I hoped this was a sign the tide was changing but we were going to be a gritty side to beat.

But I just think we are a poor side in a shockingly bad inconsistent league which is probably our best saviour!

Pete in Portugal

I think a hammering has been coming really. The midfield is hopelessly weak and teams are going to eventually decide to prevent space.

The players all, with the exception of Stevenson, cannot move the ball forward at all. It's short square or diagonal passing. There is no support for the defence at all. I'm amazed we've not had this much until now.

We've got big problems. Few of these players are up to standard. We have one goal scorer. The two wide players are not consistent at all. We have a powder puff midfield that has no energy or drive. The back lines ok but the team is always vulnerable if put under pressure.

The games coming up are difficult. What's more difficult to see is where the options are in the squad,

Venus needs to step aside. Not the answer.

I agree Grendel. We have recently won or drawn some games with some indifferent performances in key areas of the pitch. The results have flattered us and obscured some weak individual performances. The loss of Rose and his replacement with Gadzhev seems to be the straw that broke the camels back and it's now clear that he Emperor has no clothes. Or to put it another way, we urgently need some new, better quality, players.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

Funnily enough i was thinking the same thing, a hammering has been a long time coming this season (suppose we got one at Charlton as well), we ground out/clung out onto draws early on in the season that we arguably didn't deserve and we had a spell of winning under Venus that we again ground out wins where we were pretty poor, I hoped this was a sign the tide was changing but we were going to be a gritty side to beat.

But I just think we are a poor side in a shockingly bad inconsistent league which is probably our best saviour!

Not going to pass a opinion on how the team played, I wasn't there but, 2x heavy defeats 4-1 and 3-0 inside a couple of weeks suggest to me this squad is extremely poor, yet some on this forum rave that it's the best team we've had in yonks!

JeffB

I know it is great to be positive and I wish to god I could be but seriously can even the most wide eyed optimist out there see where on earth a sequence of wins will come from which will take us into contention for promotion. We need to finish at least 6th in the league something we have failed to do for almost half a century. Our record against most teams is poor but against promoted teams it is absolutely horrendous. Lets face it we are, as a club, utterly and completely addicted to losing football matches. I really do wish I had a solution or knew the answer because the only consequence of this addiction to defeat is relegation and we are fast running out of leagues.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Mv is no tm

Bring in Stevie g or franky lamps or giggsyyy
MV is no TM, lol . it's the way I tell em .

You should be a Comedian . :wacky:

What did Tony Mowbray do , don't tell me I know he saved us from relegation . [ Muppet ] :facepalm:

Oxford fan in peace, I think you caught us on our best 45 mins of the season yesterday, you certainly got us on our worst 90 mins at your place!!

you are a great club and personally I still remember the days you were in the top flight, hopefully things will turn around for you soon, you are a proper football club, we got screwed over by Kassam, it looks like you've had the same done to you? We got shipped from our home (the manor) to a soulless sh*thole, from visiting your home ground a few months back you must feel the same?

All the best for the rest of the season

Ps Andy Whing is a welcome addition to our coaching staff.....fantastic player, a true professional

Last edited:

oucho

I just watched the highlights and they are even worse than what it looked like when watching live. A shame we cannot "banish" Turnbull from this club, to borrow from the SP phrasebook.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Listened to Venus after the match. Worrying that he should make such comments even if they are true. The side lacks confidence and his comments wont have helped, however honest he was in public.

- it did seem he deflected the blame on to the players, which to a degree I understand but surely if the message is not getting through he must look at himself?
- Yes the players were not good enough but calling them out in public is not going to make them fitter, stronger, more talented but I fear many will lose further confidence
- the club under whichever manager has been asking boys to do a mans job for several seasons - that's not just down to Venus
- I know some people are saying Mowbray got the recruitment wrong which I think he did but it wasn't just him tasked with bringing players in, he wasn't the one managing the playing budget Venus was. More importantly the comments about throwing it all together last minute by Mowbray shows the mess the club is in
- when asked Saturday about the budget, I believe Venus said he didn't know - strange given his primary function was managing it and that he is a director

Given the fall in attendances then I would think any surplus they held back for January recruitment has been eaten away in trying to live within means. Some tough games coming up and some very big cracks in the façade are showing. How many are leaving in January - we will need to replace but also build depth and experience that wont be cheap and after the last few transfer windows I cant say I am confident of a positive solution.

Why is it that L1 is such a surprise to our recent managers.............. we all knew you need physicality, a large dollop of experience and have to earn the right to show the technical talent in matches

NorthernWisdom

Why is it that L1 is such a surprise to our recent managers.............. we all knew you need physicality, a large dollop of experience and have to earn the right to show the technical talent in matches

Adams and Robins are the only managers in our recent past who've looked at what they've got, and tried to address the weaknesses rather than just signing the best players they could get for the money.

Not saying they all came off (can't even spell the random Man City central midfielder Adams brought in on loan!) but at least it was looking at weaknesses and trying to rectify them, rather than just ending up with eleventy billion centre forwards and nobody to get the ball to them.

fernandopartridge

Listened to Venus after the match. Worrying that he should make such comments even if they are true. The side lacks confidence and his comments wont have helped, however honest he was in public.

- it did seem he deflected the blame on to the players, which to a degree I understand but surely if the message is not getting through he must look at himself?
- Yes the players were not good enough but calling them out in public is not going to make them fitter, stronger, more talented but I fear many will lose further confidence
- the club under whichever manager has been asking boys to do a mans job for several seasons - that's not just down to Venus
- I know some people are saying Mowbray got the recruitment wrong which I think he did but it wasn't just him tasked with bringing players in, he wasn't the one managing the playing budget Venus was. More importantly the comments about throwing it all together last minute by Mowbray shows the mess the club is in
- when asked Saturday about the budget, I believe Venus said he didn't know - strange given his primary function was managing it and that he is a director

Given the fall in attendances then I would think any surplus they held back for January recruitment has been eaten away in trying to live within means. Some tough games coming up and some very big cracks in the façade are showing. How many are leaving in January - we will need to replace but also build depth and experience that wont be cheap and after the last few transfer windows I cant say I am confident of a positive solution.

NOPM will solve it

wingy

Bis
Adams and Robins are the only managers in our recent past who've looked at what they've got, and tried to address the weaknesses rather than just signing the best players they could get for the money.

Not saying they all came off (can't even spell the random Man City central midfielder Adams brought in on loan!) but at least it was looking at weaknesses and trying to rectify them, rather than just ending up with eleventy billion centre forwards and nobody to get the ball to them.
Bishkoff?

Cov kid 55

It was men against boys on Saturday, they were aggressive and muscular, and were in our faces from the first minute. We couldn't cope with it. The fault for this is two fold, the owners of the club, and T.M /M.V who got the transfer window totally wrong in the summer. The players and supporters are now carrying the can for that failure.

Nick

Administrator
Did we not sign muscular players because they cost more to feed or something? Can players demand a higher wage based on strength?

Grendel

Did we not sign muscular players because they cost more to feed or something? Can players demand a higher wage based on strength?

We signed plenty of muscle bound forwards.

I've said for weeks that the midfield is dire. People can blow smoke up Bigis arse all they like but he's hopeless. Ghadzev was a joke signing and Rose is no midfield anchor man. I doubt Stevenson was planned to even be in the team at the start of the season and now he's about the only decent player we have there.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
NOPM will solve it

a myth peddled by understandably desperate people isn't it fp .............. a strategy that is far from getting rid of SISU, but the biggest NOPM driver is the team on the pitch

but equally there is the myth that we don't have a budget that allows us to be competitive in this poor division - yet our turnover exceeds many, its how the money is used that has to be questioned

Seems to me it is decision making that has been worse than abject from all concerned

fernandopartridge

Our good spells at this level have always involved having somebody doing a level of enforcing in midfield:

Jennings and / or Bailey for Robins
Thomas for Pressley (recognising that Fleck can put his foot in as well)
Vincelot for Mowbray

I was fairly ambivalent about the sale of Vincelot at the time, but now recognise that it was a very poor decision from Mowbray.

Sky Blue Kid

a myth peddled by understandably desperate people isn't it fp .............. a strategy that is far from getting rid of SISU, but the biggest NOPM driver is the team on the pitch

but equally there is the myth that we don't have a budget that allows us to be competitive in this poor division - yet our turnover exceeds many, its how the money is used that has to be questioned

Seems to me it is decision making that has been worse than abject from all concerned

If what you say is so, OSB58, Why did SISU bring the Club back to the Ricoh? Don't forget they were going to Sixfields for 3 years poss 5 years! If it wasn't for being "Starved" of money(They allowed for... On a bad day 3.5k on the gate, and on a good day 7.5k.(Never once getting any where near 3k) You can't honestly tell me they brought the Club back for the "Sake of the fans"... They were IMHO being hit where it hurts the most, in the pocket.

NorthernWisdom

Oh.... Is that why on the day of the game against Gillingham, Motormouth Fisher said "We still intend to build our own Stadium" and "The move back to the Ricoh was only temporary"?

So you're saying they moved to Northampton not to distress ACL, but because it was genuinely the only place they could go as relations had broken down, they were forced out, and were actually planning their own stadium?

Sky Blue Kid

So you're saying they moved to Northampton not to distress ACL, but because it was genuinely the only place they could go as relations had broken down, they were forced out, and were actually planning their own stadium?

You know damned well that's not what I'm saying... YOU said... Quote["Because they wanted to try and stop the Wasps deal if possible."]Unquote.
My reply was for Fisher to state "The move back to Ricoh was only temporary" Thus, completely discreditting what YOU said. Not my words.. Yours and Fishers.

Captain Dart

Why is it that L1 is such a surprise to our recent managers..............

I do not buy that excuse, they've all been involved in EFL football for many years, they should know and if they don't what the bloody hell have they been doing this past 18 months (or 18 years) fraudulently posing as football managers?

Users who are viewing this thread