Match Thread Oxford Utd v Coventry Match Thread - Saturday 19th Nov (3 Viewers)

Captain Dart

Our good spells at this level have always involved having somebody doing a level of enforcing in midfield:
At any level mate, at any level.

NorthernWisdom

I do not buy that excuse, they've all been involved in EFL football for many years, they should know and if they don't what the bloody hell have they been doing this past 18 months (or 18 years) fraudulently posing as football managers?

Fair to say there's probably a mix of everything though, isn't there.

Mowbray had success before (and tbf last season) playing technical football, so why wouldn't he try the same? But then while some of his choices have also been... odd, when you work at a place in turmoil with limited resources, it's hard to keep on top of *everything* that comes at you isn't it, so some of the oddness will be general working conditions.

Ultimately however, if the manager ain't good enough, the buck stops with those who judged him good enough when appointing him...

Otis

We signed plenty of muscle bound forwards.

I've said for weeks that the midfield is dire. People can blow smoke up Bigis arse all they like but he's hopeless. Ghadzev was a joke signing and Rose is no midfield anchor man. I doubt Stevenson was planned to even be in the team at the start of the season and now he's about the only decent player we have there.
Yep, my thinking too on Stevenson.

I'm sure TM hoped he would make the step up and get some game time this season, but I don't believe for a single second that it was the plan for him to be embedded in the starting 11 each and every game.

We are dependent on the lad and that is entirely wrong and also not fair on him. There is no way we should expect a 40 game season out of a kid fresh out of the academy.

I don't mind Bigi and I quite like Rose, but the midfield is definitely very, very weak indeed. Losing McCann has highlighted the problem 10 fold.

NorthernWisdom

You know damned well that's not what I'm saying... YOU said... Quote["Because they wanted to try and stop the Wasps deal if possible."]Unquote.
My reply was for Fisher to state "The move back to Ricoh was only temporary" Thus, completely discreditting what YOU said. Not my words.. Yours and Fishers.
giphy.gif

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
If what you say is so, OSB58, Why did SISU bring the Club back to the Ricoh? Don't forget they were going to Sixfields for 3 years poss 5 years! If it wasn't for being "Starved" of money(They allowed for... On a bad day 3.5k on the gate, and on a good day 7.5k.(Never once getting any where near 3k) You can't honestly tell me they brought the Club back for the "Sake of the fans"... They were IMHO being hit where it hurts the most, in the pocket.

That's your opinion and a valid one.

Personally I do not think that the finances ever made sense whether it was 1000 or 7000 fans. The cost structure of the club could never have been supported by any level of income they could derive from Sixfields that year or any other year - big losses were always going to happen which meant that SISU knew they would have to support it before they moved. The difference between the attendances they got and the max they could possibly get each week equates to less that £1m Turnover (before deduction of some costs) not huge numbers. Not all that stayed away were NOPM there were other reasons too

I also think that they were well aware of what they were doing and it had everything to do with hastening the demise of ACL and nothing to do with finding CCFC a new home. I think they would have supported the paltry numbers attending for another season or so had not a huge fly (wasp) appeared in the ointment.

Once that happened (many of us believed something was going on so SISU would have some idea well before CCFC return) it was important to get back to the Ricoh simply to avoid any extra "investment" (supporting losses) being wasted , to generate better incomes than Sixfields yes and to ensure a better financial income whilst other matters were/are dealt with but the plan to get the Ricoh had gone south so no point creating bigger losses by staying at Sixfields.

If they hadn't come back when they did then I would think CCFC could well have been bust by now or at very least relegated because the incomes at Sixfields could never work NOPM or not. There were no rights for CCFC at the Ricoh, no contract, they needed to prove a connection to the stadium to back up any possible future claims and they got a cheap rent in the process. As soon as SISU said we would like to come back there was no way ACL, CCC, AEHC were going to say no.

This whole series of events has nothing to do with the well being of CCFC but everything to do with obtaining a return for SISU/ARVO investors. The plan nearly worked because ACL were dangerously short of cash flow - but then along came Wasps

Just because TF said 3 years or 5 years doesn't mean that was the real intention. He would say that though wouldn't he. Building own stadium - would say that too. All about putting pressure on ACL and talking down their business. Funny how we can believe some of what he says and not other bits - when the reality is we should always question everything and anything he says or does

Just my opinion of course - and looking at it that way the importance of NOPM is not what you attach to it

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I do not buy that excuse, they've all been involved in EFL football for many years, they should know and if they don't what the bloody hell have they been doing this past 18 months (or 18 years) fraudulently posing as football managers?

not using it as an excuse, but given the same problems have been there for the last two seasons or more and still remain, and that we have a larger turnover than many of our competitors you have to question what the hell the various managers have been doing, Question their thought processes and the decisions they have made.

Clearly many of the fans can see the problems, yes SISU have put a financial block on because of self sufficiency but it still remains that smaller clubs have attracted physical, experienced and talented players appropriate to L1 and we haven't. That is not all down to the owners and lack of investment. Yes all the managers have a wealth of experience but if not applied to match the circumstances is it good enough?

Other than the exceptions (eg Armstrong) has our recruitment had a plan, a reason to it or has it been for the last few seasons largely poor and an element of throw enough mud at the wall and some will stick about it?

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

when the reality is we should always question everything and anything he says or does

Should apply for everyone tbh.

Never ceases to amaze me when people accept unquestioningly what's in front of them. Initial question should always be 'what's in it for them?' Sometimes, that might coincide with 'what's in it for us?' but it's always a question worth asking!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Yes it should apply to everyone NW I totally agree

basic questions Why? ...... then How? When? Who? Where? ......... then does it make sense? and does it fit what we know or expect? .................. even before the what's in it for them ?

NorthernWisdom

Yes it should apply to everyone NW I totally agree

basic questions Why? ...... then How? When? Who? Where? ......... then does it make sense? and does it fit what we know or expect? .................. even before the what's in it for them ?
See personally, I always think finding out what drives someone is the first thing to check out.

That helps see if it's able to work with them, or against them. After that, the fine detail can be tuned.

wingy

not using it as an excuse, but given the same problems have been there for the last two seasons or more and still remain, and that we have a larger turnover than many of our competitors you have to question what the hell the various managers have been doing, Question their thought processes and the decisions they have made.

Clearly many of the fans can see the problems, yes SISU have put a financial block on because of self sufficiency but it still remains that smaller clubs have attracted physical, experienced and talented players appropriate to L1 and we haven't. That is not all down to the owners and lack of investment. Yes all the managers have a wealth of experience but if not applied to match the circumstances is it good enough?

Other than the exceptions (eg Armstrong) has our recruitment had a plan, a reason to it or has it been for the last few seasons largely poor and an element of throw enough mud at the wall and some will stick about it?
That turnover may be larger but it seems it only affords 60% to the playing budgett,not necessarily the case for some with lower turnover
Edit sorry much less than 60%did do the numbers a while back more like 40 IIRC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread