Referee (19 Viewers)

shepardo01

Was this in today's press thing?
Another letter/communication (to go with the one from the West Brom game that MR mentioned in his post match Preston interview) saying officials have made a mistake.
Very frustrating....

MalcSB

Another letter/communication (to go with the one from the West Brom game that MR mentioned in his post match Preston interview) saying officials have made a mistake.
Very frustrating....
And will have cost us points, reduced confidence amongst the players and affects future performance - nervousness - costing more points further reducing confidence and so on.

MalcSB

As an afterthought, if it wasn’t a penalty does Fadz’s yellow card get rescinded? As there was an unawarded penalty in the previous match, does a retrospective card get given?

I expect the answer is no, which makes these things even more annoying, especially given Godden’s retrospective red for a penalty he didn’t even appeal for,

Great_Expectations

Surprised that absolute shambles of an offside call in the first half, which somehow got reversed in real time, has not been mentioned.

Their striker was clearly miles off, linesman flagged and about 30 seconds later put his flag back down. Stoke went onto shoot and it was goal bound.

Massive credit to Collins for staying switched on, as if he hadn’t of dived to save it, it would have gone in and presumably counted.

It’s such a massive cock up as that decision could have had big implications (again).

Shows the importance of playing to the whistle and well done to the players for doing so, as in reality once that flag goes up the natural reaction is to stop.

Sky Blue Pete

Surprised that absolute shambles of an offside call in the first half, which somehow got reversed in real time, has not been mentioned.

Their striker was clearly miles off, linesman flagged and about 30 seconds later put his flag back down. Stoke went onto shoot and it was goal bound.

Massive credit to Collins for staying switched on, as if he hadn’t of dived to save it, it would have gone in and presumably counted.

It’s such a massive cock up as that decision could have had big implications (again).

Shows the importance of playing to the whistle and well done to the players for doing so, as in reality once that flag goes up the natural reaction is to stop.
It was haji wright that headed it back towards our goal so not offside
Assistant raised the flag for guy in offside position but ref quite rightly clearly communicated that it was off wright not Stoke player so he put it down
You are bang on about them playing to whistle I’m not sure anyone got it wrong but could easily have been a controversial goal

SBT

It was weird but the player isn’t offside until the referee blows the whistle, so he must have overruled the linesman’s flag. Credit to the players for maintaining concentration (although not all of them all did).

Grendel

It was t offside was it?

Great_Expectations

Assistant raised the flag for guy in offside position but ref quite rightly clearly communicated that it was off wright not Stoke player so he put it down
You are bang on about them playing to whistle I’m not sure anyone got it wrong but could easily have been a controversial goal

Was it? Fair enough didn’t realise it was Wright in the moment.

Second part still stands though; I know players are told to play to the whistle but they often don’t for offside calls.

stupot07

Pro's are the worst at not playing to the whistle.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Adge

So then-we’ve bashed the hell out of referees over the last month (some calls quite rightly), so just for balance are we to credit the referee for that call when he quite rightly overruled his assistants flag? Can just imagine the meltdown on here if the ball would have ended up in our net, albeit the right call was made.

pusbccfc

Doesn't look like he won the header. The Stoke defender unsurprisingly outmuscles Haji.

Legia Sky Blue

Thomas definitely stopped playing, and he was the closest defender to their attacker who also momentarily stopped. Both had clearly seen the linesman put his flag up. Given that these days linesmen are not encouraged to put there flags up until after a passage of play is complete I can see why they stopped. By their own guidelines now though, the linesman should have kept his flag down until the move was complete, and then put his flag up if he believed the player offside.

Reactions: SBT

stupot07

All Simms had to do was a first time pass and we probably score here, after Eccles good work.

02c958aec5f20a5c4ad00cf0397a52c7.jpg

Hertsccfc

It doesn't look like Wright won the header at all to me from watching the highlights.

Hertsccfc

All Simms had to do was a first time pass and we probably score here, after Eccles good work.

02c958aec5f20a5c4ad00cf0397a52c7.jpg

Nothing to do with referring but spot on. Eccles get criticised all the time for Simms lack of goals yet he sets him up here and Simms slashes it wide. Simms either had to hit the target or pass the ball back to Eccles. And people complain at Simms being taken off after this and his total lack of challenge for a header just before this.

Tomh111

I thought yesterday was better, the glaring error being the offside.

I think the right call was made, it looked like Wright headed it from where I was and I'm not sure the replays are clear.

However, the linesman should be saying to the referee he is offside, then communicating before flagging/not flagging.

To wave the flag, then drop it is asking for trouble, as was nearly evidenced yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Adge

Thomas definitely stopped playing, and he was the closest defender to their attacker who also momentarily stopped. Both had clearly seen the linesman put his flag up. Given that these days linesmen are not encouraged to put there flags up until after a passage of play is complete I can see why they stopped. By their own guidelines now though, the linesman should have kept his flag down until the move was complete, and then put his flag up if he believed the player offside.
Not really-that’s just because of VAR being used.

pusbccfc

I thought yesterday was better, the glaring error being the offside.

I think the right call was made, it looked like Wright headed it from where I was and I'm not sure the replays are clear.

However, the linesman should be saying to the referee he is offside, then communicating before flagging/not flagging.

To wave the flag, then drop it is asking for trouble, as was nearly evidenced yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Definitely better yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread