Sheffield United fans (2 Viewers)

Covstu

I think the banter as they call it was poorly placed and they knew it would touch a nerve. It's different when it's the going down type chants but when you are actively protesting and they are backing the exact thing you are protesting against to get a rise then it's misplaced. I remember a thread on here a few months back about hating teams, I now change my stance!

mrtrench

Everything sung at a football match is banter in my opinion - no reason to get upset about it. Disappointing, I agree, that they have no empathy but come on - remember that it's a handful of people who start a song and the rest like sheep follow.

A classier response, rather than confrontation, would have been to sing back something like "Hope SISU buy you; we really hope SISU buy you; hope SISU buy you..." (score in a minute tune)

theferret

Everything sung at a football match is banter in my opinion - no reason to get upset about it. Disappointing, I agree, that they have no empathy but come on - remember that it's a handful of people who start a song and the rest like sheep follow.

A classier response, rather than confrontation, would have been to sing back something like "Hope SISU buy you; we really hope SISU buy you; hope SISU buy you..." (score in a minute tune)

It went beyond banter. When our fans went on the pitch, some of their supporters tried to get on to confront them. When they scored, a couple went over the netting and went towards the city fans giving it the 'come on'. A couple of our fans reacted and put one of them on his backside. Had it just been the chants there would have been no confrontation. I've never condoned senseless football violence, but that arsehole deserved everything he got.

clint van damme

Been to plenty of games where the opposition are in dispute with their owners and never saw City supporters resort to this, on the contrary, they've always clapped the opposition and joined in with their anti owner songs.
No football supporter should take amusement from the plight of another club when they are going through situations like ours, Blackpool etc.

I didn't even rip the villa fans at work last year because I didn't take pleasure from their club been run into the ground even though I really enjoyed their relegation in 87 due to the different set of circumstances.
In summary, and to quote Viz magazine, the united fans behaviour, "a cunts trick and no mistake".

Sumo the Micky Quinn

So completely different to the Sheffield Wednesday game at Highfield Road 2nd January 1989.

We hammered them 5-0.

I remember as the game went on, we joined in with their chants of "McGee OUT".

If the link works you can see a small banner with McGee OUT written on it - I agree its not too clear.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just to confirm as I wasn't there. But are we calling Sheffield united fans 'scum' for some misplaced chants but praising one of our fans for attacking someone?
No the Sheffield united charged over unprovoked and our fan defended himself when confronted with an aggressive opposition fan.

italiahorse

I remember there fans being on the hill at Sixfields with us.
They never went inside to watch the match.
Not all their fans are as people are saying.
Besides the singing for Sisu is just banter and it's exactly what some of our fans would do in similar situation.
A little near the knuckle for me but I soon got over it.

What is scum is our fans after the game calling 'any' fan (old or young) cnuts and scum as they walked around the stadium.

Nick

Administrator
I have heard our fans sing songs at other teams, I remember a song to Bradford fans about their town and what it's full of a few times.

Can see why they were singing it as it's football, but the kicking off wasn't really needed.

italiahorse

No the Sheffield united charged over unprovoked and our fan defended himself when confronted with an aggressive opposition fan.
To be fair he met him half way.
For me it tarred the protest a little and should be forgot not highlighted.

REALLY

theres always banter

so they sung about SISU

Lets not forget sky blue fans singing theres only one Carlos Tevez at United fans
which is worse
cant condone whistles during a game , distracting for both teams , ill thought out action
professional footballers deserve to get on with their job
protests against the board need directing at them , outside the board room
banners yes songs yes abuse from the stands yes
probably the stoppage cost the game last night
was self harming

olderskyblue

What is scum is our fans after the game calling 'any' fan (old or young) cnuts and scum as they walked around the stadium.

Yes, heard lots of that from one group, they even shouted it to some Cov fans walking the opposite way. Thick fuckers.

Otis

So completely different to the Sheffield Wednesday game at Highfield Road 2nd January 1989.

We hammered them 5-0.

I remember as the game went on, we joined in with their chants of "McGee OUT".

If the link works you can see a small banner with McGee OUT written on it - I agree its not too clear.

Did Paul Daniels escape the wrath back then, then?

mrtrench

Some people are twats. Some twats support SU and some support the Sky Blues. Extrapolating from that to make pejorative remarks over the whole of Sheffield and all SU supporters is rather dumb IMO.

Joy Division

Really surprised by their hatred towards us, reading some of their comments on the SUFC forums there is some really vile stuff being written. From the overwhelming support from other football clubs fans we've had over the past 5 or so years last night was just strange.

italiahorse

Really surprised by their hatred towards us, reading some of their comments on the SUFC forums there is some really vile stuff being written. From the overwhelming support from other football clubs fans we've had over the past 5 or so years last night was just strange.
It's a few, not all of them.

It would be funny if SISU took them up on it.

Grendel

I thought sisu in was funny it made me laugh.

anthony

Afternoon Coventry fans

I am a blade and I accept the abuse that may mindlessly come my way after the circus of a game last night...

Am I alone in thinking that if your team had no problems and you spent your hard earned money to travel 90 miles to watch a FOOTBALL match that you wouldn't have been a little annoyed if it were to be interrupted 3 times and delayed on a work night...
If you had been approached outside the ground by some home fans and asked to spare some money for the plight of the hosting club, or even a signature to back up a campaign then fair enough, most football supporters would happily do this. However at the end of the day the blades fans have come down heard nothing but a loud whistling, and feel the game they have paid to watch is being used not for a display of football but for a publicity stunt.

Being from Huddersfield I know that last year the exact same thing happened when they played Blackpool and the game was abandoned and a draw was awarded. If this had been in reverse and you felt the game was heading to that conclusion would you have stood and applauded knowing that it may damage your promotion push?

Whilst I am sympathetic towards any club not respecting their fans I am against anything that prevents a game of football game going ahead. The whole Tevez/Mascherano scenario was completely different, the game has laws and a team broke them. For some reason we were the only team willing to question why the FA and premier league. They decided that fining them a tiny figure in comparison to what they made due to the signing of these players was acceptable. Whilst your plight is a terrible one, it is an internal matter that I hope can be resolved with all the fans and local businesses around Coventry coming together and buying out these bandits. The Tevez affair wasn't internal it was a questioning of the governing body of the sport! and how it seems happy to dock points for a team who cannot afford to run its self (administration) or even Middlesbrough who had a virus spread round the players and couldnt raise a team, but when a London team CHEATS no points are deducted and the fine was a joke, West Ham still won! it would be like saying Lance Armstrong we know you cheated on drugs all your career, but you are still the champion however out of the 80m prize money could you give back 10 and you can compete next year!

However you dragged a team fighting for promotion into your problem who will not be able to help in this matter and we simply reacted with a bit of sarcastic banter. Just like fans who have sang Wednesday based songs at us, or who took the piss out of an innocent Ched Evans pre-trial or even when Coventry fans outside the pub at the station (The Howard) sang there's only one Carlos Tevez. We take it with a pinch of salt have a laugh and move on.

No blade wants SISU to ruin your club, however the fans that had made the trip didn't want Coventry fans ruining the entertainment of the game they had paid to watch. Neither did they want to miss their train home or be delayed and inconvenienced by something that isn't their problem...

I have no idea why you are all losing your heads about a bit of banter?

pusbccfc

Afternoon Coventry fans

I am a blade and I accept the abuse that may mindlessly come my way after the circus of a game last night...

Am I alone in thinking that if your team had no problems and you spent your hard earned money to travel 90 miles to watch a FOOTBALL match that you wouldn't have been a little annoyed if it were to be interrupted 3 times and delayed on a work night...
If you had been approached outside the ground by some home fans and asked to spare some money for the plight of the hosting club, or even a signature to back up a campaign then fair enough, most football supporters would happily do this. However at the end of the day the blades fans have come down heard nothing but a loud whistling, and feel the game they have paid to watch is being used not for a display of football but for a publicity stunt.

Being from Huddersfield I know that last year the exact same thing happened when they played Blackpool and the game was abandoned and a draw was awarded. If this had been in reverse and you felt the game was heading to that conclusion would you have stood and applauded knowing that it may damage your promotion push?

Whilst I am sympathetic towards any club not respecting their fans I am against anything that prevents a game of football game going ahead. The whole Tevez/Mascherano scenario was completely different, the game has laws and a team broke them. For some reason we were the only team willing to question why the FA and premier league. They decided that fining them a tiny figure in comparison to what they made due to the signing of these players was acceptable. Whilst your plight is a terrible one, it is an internal matter that I hope can be resolved with all the fans and local businesses around Coventry coming together and buying out these bandits. The Tevez affair wasn't internal it was a questioning of the governing body of the sport! and how it seems happy to dock points for a team who cannot afford to run its self (administration) or even Middlesbrough who had a virus spread round the players and couldnt raise a team, but when a London team CHEATS no points are deducted and the fine was a joke, West Ham still won! it would be like saying Lance Armstrong we know you cheated on drugs all your career, but you are still the champion however out of the 80m prize money could you give back 10 and you can compete next year!

However you dragged a team fighting for promotion into your problem who will not be able to help in this matter and we simply reacted with a bit of sarcastic banter. Just like fans who have sang Wednesday based songs at us, or who took the piss out of an innocent Ched Evans pre-trial or even when Coventry fans outside the pub at the station (The Howard) sang there's only one Carlos Tevez. We take it with a pinch of salt have a laugh and move on.

No blade wants SISU to ruin your club, however the fans that had made the trip didn't want Coventry fans ruining the entertainment of the game they had paid to watch. Neither did they want to miss their train home or be delayed and inconvenienced by something that isn't their problem...

There is banter and then there is being fed up with 20 years of mismanagement of a football club. We can't be arsed to deal with shite banter.

The Tevez situation isn't even on the same planet on what we have had to deal with.

Moff

Afternoon Coventry fans

Hi Anthony, as someone who lived in Sheffield on the Blades side of town for a number of years in the nineties, I think I can respond to your posts with abit of knowledge.

1) Why do Blades fans think it all about them? It didn't matter which team we played it would have happened as we have had enough, and the game was live on SKY. If you cant see that drawing negative publicity against our owners is of paramount importance, then you don't understand what is going on,.

2) This isn't about banter, we have had nine years of this shit, and it just would have been nice to have some solidarity from football fans of another club. We have had solidarity off everyone else when we have needed it. You are the ONLY club who hasn't shared that. Its not a prerequisite but it would have been nice.

3) This situation could happen to anyone. We hope it doesn't, but would support anyone in the same situation.

4) A lot of people I know, as CCFC fans, were disgusted the Tevez issue. The fact that it played out in the Close Season, how could we have helped? There were no games to voice our support, nothing, it was played out in the Courts so how could we or anyone have helped.

5) When I lived in Sheffield, the blades were in the shit financially. I and other mates, non Blades fans, attended games when we could to support your club in its time of need. I was happy to help and support Blades supporting mates of mine. They would be disgusted by what happened last night. Its a pity you couldn't have shown the same good grace.

6) You won, your march goes on, just remember last night was about a football club on the whole and its existence, not just 3 points on a Thursday night.

clint van damme

Some people are twats. Some twats support SU and some support the Sky Blues. Extrapolating from that to make pejorative remarks over the whole of Sheffield and all SU supporters is rather dumb IMO.
it wasn't a minority of those in attendance last night though, far from it.
. Shoe on other foot, I wouldn't have behaved like them. Though they've only reinforced my previously held opinion of them.

Otis

Hi Anthony, as someone who lived in Sheffield on the Blades side of town for a number of years in the nineties, I think I can respond to your posts with abit of knowledge.

1) Why do Blades fans think it all about them? It didn't matter which team we played it would have happened as we have had enough, and the game was live on SKY. If you cant see that drawing negative publicity against our owners is of paramount importance, then you don't understand what is going on,.

2) This isn't about banter, we have had nine years of this shit, and it just would have been nice to have some solidarity from football fans of another club. We have had solidarity off everyone else when we have needed it. You are the ONLY club who hasn't shared that. Its not a prerequisite but it would have been nice.

3) This situation could happen to anyone. We hope it doesn't, but would support anyone in the same situation.

Exactly! Why couldn't Sheff Utd fans show the same solidarity or sympathy as other clubs' fans?

It wasn't just a bit of banter. It was constant throughout the game.

All for a bit of banter and one 30 second burst of it would have had people smiling, but to do it throughout the game.....

pusbccfc

Exactly! Why couldn't Sheff Utd fans show the same solidarity or sympathy as other clubs' fans?

It wasn't just a bit of banter. It was constant throughout the game.

All for a bit of banter and one 30 second burst of it would have had people smiling, but to do it throughout the game.....

The only time I heard them was when they were singing about SISU.

After the game they were screaming abuse at Coventry fans by the away end.

clint van damme

Afternoon Coventry fans

I was 100% on your side after the west ham debacle, now, after this, and other incidents, I couldn't care one jot about any misfortune that befalls your scum ridden club.

tisza

just curious what was the Sheff Utd's fans response when their Charlton game was held up the other week?

Users who are viewing this thread