Shocking Moments at CCFC Games (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Yes I remember that game, I was pretty young at the time but I think that was the last day of the Swan Lane End terrace. The mistake that lead to their equalizer was a Roy Wegerle back pass from the half way line.

It was 3-3. Cov were winning 3-1 with 10 or 15 to go. Rod Wallace got a hatrick for Leeds.

djpalms23

being 1-0 up at Cyrstal Palace in the 90min then losing 2-1 was shocking at the start of last season. i remember feeling sick for days after, the coach home was misirable too.

Bryan Robson on Speedo was a shocker. Birmingham fans brandishing blades before charging over the blue barrier between the fans in the old Sky Blue stand which led to Bobby Gould and I think Ron Saunders the Brum manager at the time addressing the fans on the pitch to try to restore order. So many others to mention but any game where Kevin Drinkell played as well.

Brighton Sky Blue

At the Crisp Bowl last season when about half a dozen stewards chased a bloke half way up the stand, cornered him, then beat the living daylights out of him just a few rows down in front of us. We weren't allowed to leave afterwards and were penned in by police outside the ground who did nothing to stop their fans chucking things at us from outside.

Reminds me actually-Clingan's penalty in that game was one of the most pathetic I've ever seen. His miss against Swansea on my birthday in 2009 was even worse.

covboy1987

being 1-0 up at Cyrstal Palace in the 90min then losing 2-1 was shocking at the start of last season. i remember feeling sick for days after, the coach home was misirable too.

Was at that game Wilfred Zaha think he came on as sub and tore us apart

WillieStanley

Leeds at home 1996 was worse than pompey 50 or so of ther so called hard boys came on the pitch at the end of the game and started attacking the ball boys and the young coventry autograph hunters that used to regualry come on at the end of the game until 100 or so Cov went on the pitch and confronted them in the penalty box and gave them a good hiding thatb was pictured all around the world on Sky tele . That day the mighty leeds were timid and the normal loud mouths were put in there place there coaches were also attacked on swan lane and they did nothing and wimpered back up the M1 all 3,000 of them

I remember that too!! I meant between Pompey and Cov. There's no real history of trouble or politics between them!!

scroobiustom

Freddy Eastwood's spell in a sky blue shirt

WillieStanley

At the Crisp Bowl last season when about half a dozen stewards chased a bloke half way up the stand, cornered him, then beat the living daylights out of him just a few rows down in front of us. We weren't allowed to leave afterwards and were penned in by police outside the ground who did nothing to stop their fans chucking things at us from outside.

Reminds me actually-Clingan's penalty in that game was one of the most pathetic I've ever seen. His miss against Swansea on my birthday in 2009 was even worse.

Talking about penalties... Elliott Wards attempt at a Ronaldo!! Scored about 10 on the bounce by smashing it into the net then practically passes it to the Keeper. Can't remember who it was against!

LastGarrison

I remember that too!! I meant between Pompey and Cov. There's no real history of trouble or politics between them!!

Quite a main Pompey lad was stabbed by a Cov lad up in Whitely Bay a few years before and helped make this the game of choice for Pompeys lads that season as we hadn't played them since (I believe).

DazzleTommyDazzle

Talking about penalties... Elliott Wards attempt at a Ronaldo!! Scored about 10 on the bounce by smashing it into the net then practically passes it to the Keeper. Can't remember who it was against!

Think it was Southampton (in the far off days when we were in the same division as them!)

LastGarrison

Oh and not long after the trouble Neil Simpson was due to fight Tony Oakey down in Portsmouth and the police stopped any great numbers travelling down from Cov (think he was given only 50 tickets) to stop any chance of round 2 (pardon the pun) happening.

Some dirty Pompey bastard then spat in Simpson's face as he made his way to the ring.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I remember that day well. I still don't know what sparked it. There's never been any real trouble before or since. Strange!!

The story behind the Pompey trouble went along these lines...

A (fair?) few years before, one of the 657 Pompey Crew (the time of first train to Southampton) got badly beaten up in Blackpool (of all places) by some Cov fans. Pompey's firm waited until they played us again (big gap between 1988 and 2002) and brought as many nutters as they could to HR.

Think they smashed up the Wetherspoons in the centre and bus on way to ground too.

WillieStanley

A (fair?) few years before, one of the 657 Pompey Crew (the time of first train to Southampton) got badly beaten up in Blackpool (of all places) by some Cov fans. Pompey's firm waited until they played us again (big gap between 1988 and 2002) and brought as many nutters as they could to HR.

Think they smashed up the Wetherspoons in the centre and bus on way to ground too.

Wow!! Long memories, eh!! I remember the rampage and the hate but to this day have never understood it!! Thanks LG and MD!!

fernandopartridge

False. It was Whitley Bay.

The year isn't right either. I am fairly sure the incident took place in the 90s.

The Portsmouth 657 book denies that anything that may have happened had anything to do with their day out in Cov in 2001.

Brighton Sky Blue

False. It was Whitley Bay.

The year isn't right either. I am fairly sure the incident took place in the 90s.

The Portsmouth 657 book denies that anything that may have happened had anything to do with their day out in Cov in 2001.

'The Portsmouth 657'-how cringeworthy does this stuff get.

usskyblue

Gazza breaking his arm trying to elbow Lloyd McGrath.

Leeds fans de-seating the Skyblue Stand and throwing them at the police, us and on the pitch...

theferret

The worse thing about the Pompey incident is that a lot of City fans got caught up in it were not troublemakers by nature and were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. What are you meant to do when you are attacked? I still have a scar to this day - and I am grateful I got injured because had I not I may have been once of those that went to prison (and I don't think I could have handled that). The travesty was, all of the pompey fans had their charges dropped or were found not guilty, yet the CPS prosecuted city fans many of whom went to prison as first time offenders. Still grates to this day.

theferret

I remember an incident sometime around the mid to late 80s. Was sat in the Sky Blue Terrace and late in the game there was a big crash from behind. Some old fella has come crashing down the steps of the Sky Blue Stand as he was leaving and was in a heap on the top of the stairwell. Blood everywhere. Horrible sight. In the paper on the Monday we found out he had died.

Another city fan died at the FA Cup 1/4 at Bramall Lane I seem to recall.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Yeah, I remember that. And trouble after the Tottenham game when Cyrille equalised in the last minute.

Gazza breaking his arm trying to elbow Lloyd McGrath.

Leeds fans de-seating the Skyblue Stand and throwing them at the police, us and on the pitch...

skybluelee

Nothing sums up the idiocy of some football fans than this story.

deanocity3

Leeds at home 1996 was worse than pompey 50 or so of ther so called hard boys came on the pitch at the end of the game and started attacking the ball boys and the young coventry autograph hunters that used to regualry come on at the end of the game until 100 or so Cov went on the pitch and confronted them in the penalty box and gave them a good hiding thatb was pictured all around the world on Sky tele . That day the mighty leeds were timid and the normal loud mouths were put in there place there coaches were also attacked on swan lane and they did nothing and wimpered back up the M1 all 3,000 of them

http://www.friendsreunited.com/cove...d/Memory/7af94450-09dd-4cb4-bdcf-a00d008ab3d2

Fluffsta

Years ago when we beat Liverpool 5-1 somebody threw a rock out of a passing car at me. Car stoped then Liverpool fans got out and gave chase. I was only a kid at the time.

Hugh Jarse

For us oldies out there, the match were George Curtis broke his leg. I swear the crack was heard all round Highfield Road.

The day we appointed Monkey Heeeed as Manager (not at game but truly shocking never the less)

TheRoyalScam

For us oldies out there, the match were George Curtis broke his leg. I swear the crack was heard all round Highfield Road.

The day we appointed Monkey Heeeed as Manager (not at game but truly shocking never the less)

I think Big George broke his leg at Nottingham Forest.

I can remember the great Roy Barry breaking his leg at HR a few years later - against Sheffield Wednesday iirc - anyway I was in the Spion Kop with my Dad and we could all hear the crack.

Users who are viewing this thread