Should drugs be legalised? (1 Viewer)

oucho

Nick

Administrator
If alcohol was made illegal tomorrow but you still had easy access to a few pints would you stop drinking?

I'd be straight up to Coombe abbey building a plant.

moonshinersdsffsdf.jpg

oucho

But why? You've been drinking for years. You know you're not causing any problems and it's just something you do as a social thing with a couple of mates.
Because it'd be the law. Apart from the damage to my life e.g. losing job etc if I got a criminal record through usage, you can't pick and choose what laws you obey. None of us can sit there and say "well, it's not hurting anyone so I'll do it even though it's against the rules". I hate it when people do that.

Liquid Gold

Because it'd be the law. Apart from the damage to my life e.g. losing job etc if I got a criminal record through usage, you can't pick and choose what laws you obey. None of us can sit there and say "well, it's not hurting anyone so I'll do it even though it's against the rules". I hate it when people do that.
Is there a point where you'd draw the line and say this law is nonsense I'm not going to listen. No driving, no sunglasses, no eating after 10, all babies must have their feet bound.

covcity4life

But why? You've been drinking for years. You know you're not causing any problems and it's just something you do as a social thing with a couple of mates.

its poisen to your body.

and if it stops overall drunken problems then its worth a few nice guys having to miss out on their pint fix

Nick

Administrator
With drugs and drink I don't like the thought of not being in control, I have been hammered about 3 times to the point I haven't been in control and hated it. The thought of chasing dragons and seeing things on Acid etc is not for me.

covcity4life

With drugs and drink I don't like the thought of not being in control, I have been hammered about 3 times to the point I haven't been in control and hated it. The thought of chasing dragons and seeing things on Acid etc is not for me.

yeah me too, had para attack on greenstuff once, quit the day after

alcohol i wish i was like you and had control more. im more type to drink once every 6 weeks but that can be a binge evening and horrible hangover next day. although last 2 months i have stayed in control. once thats sorted i will go t total lol

Liquid Gold

its poisen to your body.

and if it stops overall drunken problems then its worth a few nice guys having to miss out on their pint fix
Isn't that structuring society around the worst of us though. There is violence at football and this disgusting thing happened to Oucho's other half. Should we now ban football as if it 'it stops problems it's worth the nice guys missing out'?

chiefdave

Is there a point where you'd draw the line and say this law is nonsense I'm not going to listen. No driving, no sunglasses, no eating after 10, all babies must have their feet bound.
Thats the things isn't it. If the police are basically going to ignore and use is widespread then you've got a huge chunk of the population who are breaking the law. Once they've decided its OK to break one law are they more likely to ignore others they don't agree with?

Then you've got the issue of where the money is going, is keeping it illegal funding terrorism, organised crime or who knows what else. Not to mention the potential lost tax revenues. And of course who the users are coming in to contact with. While the drug itself may not be a gateway the dealer is likely to be. Their concern will be making the most money possible.

IMO you have to go one way or the other. Either make an effort to do something about it or accept that the fight is lost and work out the best way to ensure it is managed.

oucho

You've used some silly examples that aren't real, I can't think of any actual law that would seem so silly that I'd selectively disregard it.

Liquid Gold

You've used some silly examples that aren't real, I can't think of any actual law that would seem so silly that I'd selectively disregard it.
In Saudi Arabia women can't drive. In China at various points in history there have been laws at various points in history the intentionally injured children. Slavery was legal at one point for christ sake, the law isn't always a decent barometer of what is right.

oucho

In Saudi Arabia women can't drive. In China at various points in history there have been laws at various points in history the intentionally injured children. Slavery was legal at one point for christ sake, the law isn't always a decent barometer of what is right.
Read what I said above....just because some things are/were legal when they shouldn't be, doesn't show that it's OK to break the law by doing things that are illegal. I didn't say that there are legal tings that should be banned, ut that if something banned you shouldn't break the ban. Can you come up with a UK example of a law that it's OK to break?

Liquid Gold

Read what I said above....just because some things are/were legal when they shouldn't be, doesn't show that it's OK to break the law by doing things that are illegal. I didn't say that there are legal tings that should be banned, ut that if something banned you shouldn't break the ban. Can you come up with a UK example of a law that it's OK to break?
That it's illegal to be drunk in a pub?

covcity4life

Isn't that structuring society around the worst of us though. There is violence at football and this disgusting thing happened to Oucho's other half. Should we now ban football as if it 'it stops problems it's worth the nice guys missing out'?

football serves a purpose though, its harmless entertainment.

drinking is not harmless. even if you are not an arsehole when you consume its still not good for your liver at end of the day and alters your brain

Liquid Gold

football serves a purpose though, its harmless entertainment.

drinking is not harmless. even if you are not an arsehole when you consume its still not good for your liver at end of the day and alters your brain
Drinking serves a purpose though, its harmless entertainment.

football is not harmless. even if you are not an arsehole when you watch its still not good for your nerves at end of the day and alters your brain

Reactions: vow

oucho

That it's illegal to be drunk in a pub?
Makes sense to me because it gives landlords the right to refuse alcohol to drunk people and also gives them the right to kick out drunks if they need to. Fair enough.

Liquid Gold

Add horror movies and video games into the mix too, there is a tiny fraction of already mentally ill people who can be tipped over the edge by watching/playing something violent. Do you ban those too?

Liquid Gold

Another stupid law, if you're waiting at a red light and emergency services are behind you it's illegal to cross the solid white line even if that means impeding them.

Captain Dart

Actually Saudi only stopped slavery in the 1960's because of the universal declaration of human rights, but there is a righly critisised Islamic version of this Cairo Declaration on Human Rights in Islam - Wikipedia which is aimed more at preventing criticism of the religion rather than protecting human rights.

covcity4life

Drinking serves a purpose though, its harmless entertainment.

football is not harmless. even if you are not an arsehole when you watch its still not good for your nerves at end of the day and alters your brain

i know thats a joke but what i said is true. alcohol is not good for you.

covcity4life

Just because you didn't like something does that mean everybody else shouldn't be allowed either?

what a dumb way to view it

i never said that. i am saying drink and drugs are bad for you. so i have no problem with them being banned. those that want to keep them can do that but dont pretend they are harmless.

Users who are viewing this thread