The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (55 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

We are expressing our opinions, much the same way that those on the opposite side do as well. You clearly demonstrate that you are anything but neutral.
No?

I don't like guesses being stated as fact. And we don't know which way anything will go. If a leaver kept saying we will do well out of the EU I would pull them up just like a remainer saying we will do shit.

Sick Boy

No?

I don't like guesses being stated as fact. And we don't know which way anything will go. If a leaver kept saying we will do well out of the EU I would pull them up just like a remainer saying we will do shit.

There has been plenty of that on this thread. Also threads describing it as a dictatorship, which it clearly isn't.

Astute

Countries like Turkey?

I share your concern about the homeless in the UK but we are never going to agree on the EU issue.
Juncker wants an EU superstate. We don't know if it will happen. But Juncker will try his best to push it through. It will be poorer countries joining if it happens. And most probably in the Euro.

Astute

There has been plenty of that on this thread. Also threads describing it as a dictatorship, which it clearly isn't.
It isn't a dictatorship. But it also isn't that far away from being one.

We hardly have any say but get told what to do.

Sick Boy

It isn't a dictatorship. But it also isn't that far away from being one.

We hardly have any say but get told what to do.

I'd read up on dictatorships if I were you. It's a cheap comment that is massively inaccurate and trivialises the suffering our fellow Europeans endured under them.

martcov

Don't you see a problem with it?

To you there isn't an EU rule that is wrong. So we have food products we don't want or can stop. But it is OK because it is caused by bureaucracy.

They have things like the fisheries commission which e.g. regulate fish quotas in the Baltic. They have just ended negotiations- means not every country got what they wanted but they agreed a compromise.

Astute

I'd read up on dictatorships if I were you. It's a cheap comment that is massively inaccurate and trivialises the suffering our fellow Europeans endured under them.
I never said it was one. But it is closer to a dictatorship than what it should be.

It isn't a cheap comment. It is an explanation of how things are. Dictatorships start by taking power away. Then it gets shit. Our power is being lost. Now some don't seem shocked that we have food standards but we bring into the EU items not up to standard. We have no choice. And we can't stop it as we hardly have any say.

Astute

They have things like the fisheries commission which e.g. regulate fish quotas in the Baltic. They have just ended negotiations- means not every country got what they wanted but they agreed a compromise.
And the compromise is that other countries can catch more fish in our waters than we can. And it has been like it for years. It has killed off our fishing industry.

How do you feel about quotas?

Once they have caught their quota they have to throw back all that type of fish. The vast majority of them die. A total waste. It is hard to put a net into the water and only catch a certain type.

So Mart. Back to the foodstuffs that shouldn't be allowed in the EU but the Eu allows? You admit it is because of bureaucracy but it is ok because it is difficult to stop?

Last edited:

martcov

And strangely enough I have said that I see both good and bad with staying or leaving. I have pulled up leave voters at times and agreed many times with remainers.

How about when I say about the homeless? You tried to say that there wasn't many at first. Then when you found out that there is about 3.5m you said you would come back to it.

The only time you ever come back to itis to ask me how Brexit will solve it. Brexit won't solve it. But it will continue to get worse with open borders to the EU. Especially if and when more poor countries join like Juncker wants.

How come? EU migrants are leaving because of the falling pound. These things fluctuate. No poor countries are set to join immediately, and those that are lined up have to conform to EU conditions. Also they are not as big as Romantia and Bulgaria.

martcov

And the compromise is that other countries can catch more fish in our waters than we can. And it has been like it for years. It has killed off our fishing industry.

How do you feel about quotas?

Once they have caught their quota they have to throw back all that type of fish. The vast majority of them die. A total waste. It is hard to put a net into the water and only catch a certain type.

So Mart. Back to the foodstuffs that shouldn't be allowed in the EU but the Eu allows? You admit it is because of bureaucracy but it is ok because it is difficult to stop?

I say negotiations take place. If the result is imperfect then it must be improved. As with everything in this world. If they improve the regulations, then it is everyone‘s interest that the rules are controlled.

I have no educated opinion on quotas, but I know that the fishing industry here has declined. It has also to do with fish stocks. With or without the EU there are less of certain fish types to catch. Climate change is altering the temperature of the Baltic which will influence fish populations. Irrespective of Juncker.

martcov

Business not good again in the bar Mart...............you're always on here.........on this thread !

Actually I am in the bar. We have opened early because Holstein Kiel are playing. They are having a great season in their first season for 40 years in the 2 Bundesliga. We are HSV Supporters Club in Kiel, but they played yesterday. Trying to build up a Kiel following in my pub.

Ashdown

Actually I am in the bar. We have opened early because Holstein Kiel are playing. They are having a great season in their first season for 40 years in the 2 Bundesliga. We are HSV Supporters Club in Kiel, but they played yesterday. Trying to build up a Kiel following in my pub.
Population of around 250,000 and two teams !?

Ashdown

No. HSV is Hamburg. We are the official supporters club of Hamburger Sportverein in Kiel. Check out Strongbow‘s Pub in Facebook
Aah ok, I see. I do like Germany have always got on with the Germans since working for a company from near Wuppertal. Not been that far North yet within Germany, been to Berlin and Hannover but quite fancy Kiel/Lubeck/ Northern Coast trip. Last trip over that way we went to Prague and got the train up the side of the river to Dresden.

Astute

I say negotiations take place. If the result is imperfect then it must be improved. As with everything in this world. If they improve the regulations, then it is everyone‘s interest that the rules are controlled.

I have no educated opinion on quotas, but I know that the fishing industry here has declined. It has also to do with fish stocks. With or without the EU there are less of certain fish types to catch. Climate change is altering the temperature of the Baltic which will influence fish populations. Irrespective of Juncker.
Yes things need to improve. We are fully in agreement. But we are also in full agreement that bureaucracy makes change very difficult.

martcov

Aah ok, I see. I do like Germany have always got on with the Germans since working for a company from near Wuppertal. Not been that far North yet within Germany, been to Berlin and Hannover but quite fancy Kiel/Lubeck/ Northern Coast trip. Last trip over that way we went to Prague and got the train up the side of the river to Dresden.

Here is the twin city of Cov. The mayor and a delegation were here in September. Gilbert didn’t report it. The Coventry Corps of Drums gave a concert here together with a Kiel group. The major gave a speech to the council in the Kieler Rathaus. So, Coventry friendly city ;-) Not far from Lübeck and Hamburg. Nice coastal towns.

martcov

Yes, but not the Express again...;-) FYI: AfD are set for 5,5% in Lower Saxony in today's vote. Merkel's party for 35%. Not final. Lower Saxony will probably stay as a SPD led coaltion. Far right and right did well in Ausrtria. For Grendel: I can get in a lift with 20 people in Lower Saxony and 1 will be a supporter of a dodgy far right Farage endorsed party in Lower Saxony.

Astute

Yes, but not the Express again...;-) FYI: AfD are set for 5,5% in Lower Saxony in today's vote. Merkel's party for 35%. Not final. Lower Saxony will probably stay as a SPD led coaltion. Far right and right did well in Ausrtria. For Grendel: I can get in a lift with 20 people in Lower Saxony and 1 will be a supporter of a dodgy far right Farage endorsed party in Lower Saxony.
I will be happy when the racist parties hardly get any votes in general elections again.

Kingokings204

We see another far right coalition in Austria I'm reading about at the moment also. Very anti eu. They had a snap election I believe.

Nothing to do with the EU still?

Grendel

So what? Across Germany there is a massive rise in right wing extremism. Bury your head all you like and look at individual areas and not the whole country.

Kingokings204

And what about Hilary Clinton on the Andrew marr show this morning. Blimey I've heard Mart on here and sore losers but I think Hilary gives Mart a run for his money. Did you see it? She basically blamed everyone in the world except for herself for losing the election. She claimed trump doesn't do trade deals I mean the woman is completely in denial. She even blamed the pie seller down the Ricoh I think. Honestly it was the Russian interference it was brexit and it was lies. It was marts mate Nigel farages fault Americans voted for trump. Never heard anything like it.

Her thoughts on brexit before you ask was "there was massive fabrications and lies told" Andrew marr interjects and says "from both sides?" And she swiftly replies "I'm not as familiar with that side"

That says it all for me. Completely in denial about the whole brexit and trump elections. She simply can't accept it.

martcov

And what about Hilary Clinton on the Andrew marr show this morning. Blimey I've heard Mart on here and sore losers but I think Hilary gives Mart a run for his money. Did you see it? She basically blamed everyone in the world except for herself for losing the election. She claimed trump doesn't do trade deals I mean the woman is completely in denial. She even blamed the pie seller down the Ricoh I think. Honestly it was the Russian interference it was brexit and it was lies. It was marts mate Nigel farages fault Americans voted for trump. Never heard anything like it.

Her thoughts on brexit before you ask was "there was massive fabrications and lies told" Andrew marr interjects and says "from both sides?" And she swiftly replies "I'm not as familiar with that side"

That says it all for me. Completely in denial about the whole brexit and trump elections. She simply can't accept it.

Trump lost the popular vote and is a pathological liar. That is provable fact. My opinion of Farage is well known.

Kingokings204

Trump lost the popular vote and is a pathological liar. That is provable fact. My opinion of Farage is well known.

You do make me smile. I will give you that.

Ok, quick question why did trump win in America in your opinion?

martcov

We see another far right coalition in Austria I'm reading about at the moment also. Very anti eu. They had a snap election I believe.

Nothing to do with the EU still?

Yes the conservatives won 29% of the vote. How can they rule a country with that result? totally undemocratic... Less than Merkel‘s party which you claimed was a disaster. The Freedom party got less. But, now they won a great victory because they disagree on some points with the EU.

The coalition hasn’t been formed yet, but a coalition with the freedom party would not be welcomed by the EU partners. The Freedom Party has been around for years, so cannot be compared to the upstart AfD. Jörg Haider made it into a far right party before his untimely death pissed in a car accident having been stood up by his callboy boyfriend. Family man with anti gay values.

I didn’t know that both mentioned were very anti EU. The new young leader is critical of the refugee policy and too many benefits for immigrants, but he is not UKIP. There is a difference between being critical and being anti.

martcov

You do make me smile. I will give you that.

Ok, quick question why did trump win in America in your opinion?

Same way as Brexit happened. Lies and more lies. Insulting and mocking his opponents. Playing on people’s fears and worst instincts. That’s why Farage is so popular with the Trump base. More of the same. Not exactly unique tactics in recent history.

martcov

So what? Across Germany there is a massive rise in right wing extremism. Bury your head all you like and look at individual areas and not the whole country.

Regional. So, yes if you look at certain individual areas you will see a massive rise, but not in the rest of the country. Not to say there is no rise in the rest of the country. Anything over the 5% hurdle is bad news.

martcov

What trade deals is Trump doing? Apart from breaking trade deals.

Grendel

Whereas the Clintons are what - just liars?

Users who are viewing this thread