Transfer targets (21 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Could not possibly be more wrong.

The defence that got us to the play offs had two loanees in the centre plus another at wing back. We can never afford, even now a player of Doyle's quality. Loans bring skill levels that are beyond the usual acquisition routes. O'Hare, Sheaf were both loanees originally, as would have been McNally if we recruited him. Try before you buy.

Prem clubs have hoovered up all the talent, one reason why our youth programme has delivered so little in recent years

Best to make use of their need to utilize it all those players.

Can't think how many times in the last few years I have felt the need to reply to the imbecilic call to not use loans.
Not the best examples tbh. Sheaf was a loan with obligation to buy and O’Hare was OOC and not wanted by Villa

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

The defence that got us to the play offs had two loanees in the centre plus another at wing back. We can never afford, even now a player of Doyle's quality. Loans bring skill levels that are beyond the usual acquisition routes. O'Hare, Sheaf were both loanees originally, as would have been McNally if we recruited him. Try before you buy.

Prem clubs have hoovered up all the talent, one reason why our youth programme has delivered so little in recent years

Can't think how many times in the last few years I have felt the need to reply to the imbecilic call to not use loans.
Totally agree and of course Gyokeres was also a loan. All of our best players in the last few years apart from Hamer at least started as loans. Generally the extra quality they bring shines through.

Deity

I don’t disagree with these comments but my point is that this year the club want to own and develop more of its playing assets. We will have loans but not the same number as previous years.

I think one of our 2 new strikers will be one of those loans.

Nuskyblue

Bold? What do you do if they’re injured or sent off? Sure it’s a once every couple of years occurrence, but you’re basically writing a game off if it happens.

Are you saying the 50-100 games with an extra sub is worth the one game you need it? I can see that.
Don't you have to have a keeper in the same way a world cup squad has to have 3 goalies in it for whatever reason

mmttww

We need a couple of signings this week
If we can grab a first XI striker this wk, job done for KO. I'd back us to give Leicester a game if Godden starts so if that's the worst case scenario, not bad.

GKs - sorted.
WBs - sorted.
CBs - ready for KO.
CMs - sorted.
STs - not ready.

Add a CB and two strikers. Give academy lads some minutes in Aug. If they don't step up, loan them and sign better before the window shuts.

Mucca Mad Boys

Is Binks better than McNally ?
It’s irrelevant. McNally doesn’t play LCB and if we want McNally permanently, and Burnley don’t want to sell, it’s the end of the discussion.

Bobby Thomas or Binks may not be better players right now, but MR supposedly believes Thomas has a higher ceiling than McNally.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It’s irrelevant. McNally doesn’t play LCB and if we want McNally permanently, and Burnley don’t want to sell, it’s the end of the discussion.

Bobby Thomas or Binks may not be better players right now, but MR supposedly believes Thomas has a higher ceiling than McNally.

Thomas or Binks are the cheapest option.

Hincha

Having 5 loans was necessary last season to patch up the defence as we didn't have a pot to piss in. Not the case now.

For comparison, Brentford had 2 players on loan in their promotion season:

Saman Ghoddos - loaned with an option to buy in the Summer window which they triggered in Jan.
Winston Reid - signed on the final day of the Jan transfer window to cover injuries.

Neither were in their starting XI in the play-off final.

SkyBlueCharlie9

We have to trust in Dennis Lawrence and Fadz to coach the defence. They have done a grand job. Might take a few games to settle in but every faith.

Yorkshire SB

Having 5 loans was necessary last season to patch up the defence as we didn't have a pot to piss in. Not the case now.

Saman Ghoddos - loaned with an option to buy in the Summer window which they triggered in Jan.
Winston Reid - signed on the final day of the Jan transfer window to cover injuries.

Must also be said that almost all teams that get promoted have loans players that play a vital role. E.g. Burnley and Sheff Utd

I’d say Brentford are the exception rather than the rule, though if we’re trying to replicate that then I’m all for it!

Plus we needed more players - so this was always going to be happen, I expect loans too though.

Bristol sky blue

Would not be surprised if we tried to sign Sam Gallagher from Blackburn in the next week or so...

Reversal of Hyam situation - they seem to have financial issues we could exploit.

A player who has not reached his full potential in recent years. I think Rovers would sell for a lot less than the quoted £5m a couple of weeks ago. Wages would be the issue though as he is one of their higher earners...

Ccfcisparks

Would not be surprised if we tried to sign Sam Gallagher from Blackburn in the next week or so...

Reversal of Hyam situation - they seem to have financial issues we could exploit.

A player who has not reached his full potential in recent years. I think Rovers would sell for a lot less than the quoted £5m a couple of weeks ago. Wages would be the issue though as he is one of their higher earners...
Is this ITK or just a hunch?

Bristol sky blue

Me neither TBH, many Rovers fans want him gone (partly because they think they will cash in on a player soon and they don't want to lose Wharton). Though I would be underwhelmed, he does at least have versatility which Robins seems to be after with his signings this summer.

slowpoke

I'm glad you aren't ITK cus Gallagher really isn't tickling my fancy not going to lie!!
He is well rated though, I can’t really remember him but Blackburn did well last season just missing out on the play-offs, the thing with him with his record, price & wage can’t see him coming here to sit on the bench.

PVA

And Burnley just pissed the league with a team full of loans.

Of course it's important to have a core of owned players, but it's also important to make use of the loan market to sign otherwise unattainable players.

Users who are viewing this thread