What has "Selfishness" got to do with anything? (2 Viewers)

TheOldFive

Seems it's quite common for a few to call the equally few that go to games at Sixfields "selfish" - they are putting their enjoyment (if it can be said without a thought that it's more like penance as it often is watching The City anywhere) before a greater more deserving communal imperative to have a universal boycott of these games.

Just as people say "support the team and club but not the owners" couldn't you equally say that support of the club doesn't mean you have to be in support of "fellow" fans? Attending games might be a communal experience and yes, it's nice sometimes to "sing together" but equally I choose to opt out of the misogynistic pro - rape stuff, the odd racist undercurrent, and other obscene abuse to players, officials, other fans, owners etc.

Is that selfish of me too?

Maybe we should all just agree that whether we go or don't go, we just make it a personal decision what to do and don't presume any rights to decide or pronounce on other people's choices. For those that feel they don't have a choice because of travel etc I do think more could be done to help them with better travel arrangements, but otherwise let's all decide for ourselves without banging on about others.

ccfcway

"lets all sing TOGETHER"

in an ideal world, we could agree on one strategy, be it...

1) all stay away
2) all go, but don't go in
3) all go in, and protest for 90 mins every game

but sadly, we are not in an ideal world, we are in a world where the owners seem to be able to do what they want with our club, and its causing a divide amongst fans.

Hopefully an event like Saturday can bring us together again

Last edited:

torchomatic

Couldn't agree more. But hey, you'll still be slated for it.

torchomatic

Gint11

My stance is and has always been that Coventry City should be playing in Coventry. Simple as that. I personally will not watch 'home' games 35 miles away. I don't see why any CCFC fan would but I am not going to berate them on here for doing so or dig them out either. Freedom of choice and all that.

torchomatic

Woah, woah...you highlight "together" and then say the owners are causing a divide. Yes, they are. But many fans are happily doing the same, aren't they? Read any post from Spion and many others. And of course, your highlighting of "together".

"lets all sing TOGETHER"

but sadly, we are not in an ideal world, we are in a world where the owners seem to be able to do what they want with our club, and its causing a divide amongst fans.

torchomatic

I don't think so. But then again your replies are of the 2 plus 2 equals five variety.

Irony.

You spend more time telling off other City fans than anything else.

ccfcway

Woah, woah...you highlight "together" and then say the owners are causing a divide. Yes, they are. But many fans are happily doing the same, aren't they? Read any post from Spion and many others. And of course, your highlighting of "together".

that's my point. The owners are creating a divide and we simply aren't together to fight it. even the representative groups cant agree on a strategy.

Nick

Administrator
that's my point. The owners are creating a divide and we simply aren't together to fight it. even the representative groups cant agree on a strategy.

Some fans are doing a great job of creating divides and making it easy for them.

Gint11

The biggest problems is just that, thousands of fans are missing out from seeing their team each week, new generations will not end up following CCFC and also this whole fiasco is causing a divide amongst the fans.

Spionkop

There you go again Torchy.
Abusive as you are to all and sundry - you smear other opinions with a passion.
You know exactly what I (and others say.) Always my word is 'going to Sixfields is wrong, morally, financially.
It's my view. I'm entitled to express my opinion. And I'll keep on saying it.
I don't call other fans, 'tossers' and the like - as you do - for going to Sixfields. I simply don't behave like that. Even in the face of your expletive driven way.
I say they are wrong for going to Sixfields. A betrayal of the club. Nothing more, nothing less. And you know it.
Have a nice day.

Spionkop

Oh, just one more thing. This myth of a divided fan base, spread by a few on here. It's exactly that, a myth.
There's 30,000 or so ignoring the travesty that is Sisu and Sixfields and a few hundred who choose to put money into Sisu's coffers.
That doesn't seem like much of a divide to me.

torchomatic

Mmm...just had a check and nope, can't see where I've abused anyone. I don't call anyone anything for not going. That's up to them. However, if they slag me or my son off then I'll have a go at them. If they don't then, great.

Funny really, you're the one who attacks fans with your attitude but that's OK because you're "entitled to express" your opinion. This may come as a shock, but so are others. As I've said many times if you feel so strongly then you should stand outside Sixfields and tell fans they are morally wrong to attend. Why do it from behind a keyboard?

You know exactly what I (and others say.) Always my word is 'going to Sixfields is wrong, morally, financially.
I don't call other fans, 'tossers' and the like - as you do - for going to Sixfields. I simply don't behave like that. Even in the face of your expletive driven way.
I say they are wrong for going to Sixfields. A betrayal of the club. Nothing more, nothing less. And you know it.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Spionkop

You are not looking hard enough are you. You would say that wouldn't you.
Fans that go to Sixfields are wrong. You are wrong, as you go. As are all the others who go.
You know full well, that's what I've said all along. No abuse, simply my view.
And now you're inventing stuff about me personally -
You'll have to show me where I've 'slagged off you and your son.' That's a good one. Another invention of yours.
See, that's what you do, smear people to divert the conversation.

Nick

Administrator
Fans that go to Sixfields are wrong. You are wrong, as you go. As are all the others who go.
You'll have to show me where I've 'slagged off you and your son.' That's a good one. Another invention of yours.
Again, you can abuse people without swearing...

torchomatic

I never said YOU had. I said if OTHERS do then I WILL have a go at them.

You just don't get it. You think as long as you don't swear then you are not abusing people, but you are. I'm not the only one who's pointed this out to you.

torchomatic

Apparently, that's OK because he's expressing his opinion. Baby boomer. Daily Mail. UKiP. Five holidays a year in Spain (maybe Florida). Still drives a Rover "because it's British". Betcha.

Again, you can abuse people without swearing...

skybluelee

Oh, just one more thing. This myth of a divided fan base, spread by a few on here. It's exactly that, a myth.
There's 30,000 or so ignoring the travesty that is Sisu and Sixfields and a few hundred who choose to put money into Sisu's coffers.

I am as anti-Sixfields as you are but you can't go banding about figures like 30,000 to try and back up your point. That would mean that around 15,000 used to boycott the club every week when we were at Highfield Road.

Gint11

Spionkop the way I see it the fact that there are fans albeit 1500 of them going to sixfields confirms there is a divide. If absolutely no fans attended then that would imply that the whole fanbase (of those who aren't armchair fans) are as one. I do agree with your point however, that Sky blues talk doesn't speak on behalf of the fan base.

Spionkop

Oh I certainly get it, you don't like what I say, so you get abusive.
You and Nick (another one who resorts to expletive driven language when others don't agree with what you say) simply don't like what you hear. Certainly my comments are addressed to the mass of Sixfield attendees, all of them. You know that, Nick knows that. But you make it personal, twist it. Bringing your son in. On a regular basis.
The people who attend Sixfields are wrong in so many ways. That's my view, I think it is shared by thousands of others. That view is not abuse by any stretch of the imagination.
That's me, I'm done on this one with you. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:

covcity4life

THEY MOVED OUR CLUB 34 MILES AWAY?!

im so angry but i will still go every week,that will show them

MY BEST MATE BANGED MY WIFE?!

ill still go for a beer like, but im so angry inside.

torchomatic

<sigh>. I give up. You obviously have difficulty with reading comprehension.

Oh I certainly get it, you don't like what I say, so you get abusive.
You and Nick (another one who resorts to expletive driven language when others don't agree with what you say) simply don't like what you hear. Certainly my comments are addressed to the mass of Sixfield attendees, all of them. You know that, Nick knows that. But you make it personal, twist it. Bringing your son in. On a regular basis.
The people who attend Sixfields are wrong in so many ways. That's my view, I think it is shared by thousands of others. That view is not abuse by any stretch of the imagination.
That's me, I'm done on this one with you. Onwards and upwards.

bigfatronssba

Surely these principles of each to their own apply anywhere though?

That being the case, the West terrace fans were bang out of order when they used to mock Main standers for not singing.

covmark

THEY MOVED OUR CLUB 34 MILES AWAY?!

im so angry but i will still go every week,that will show them

MY BEST MATE BANGED MY WIFE?!

ill still go for a beer like, but im so angry inside.

What are you on about, you're fast becoming the most ridiculous poster on here. If you think a football team relocating temporarily is equal to you're wife cheating on you with you're best mate, you're obviously a sandwich short of a picnic. One other thing, why the sudden change of tack? You were once the most rabid of anti council posters. What's changed in the last couple of weeks?

Spionkop

Gint, I'm not sure it is 1500. I know four families in Northampton, they've had the opportunity to get free tickets for Sixfields. They all declined. I would guess there are hundreds in the ground who've not paid for their seat. Imagine my experience being repeated all over the place. Sisu will do anything to further their cause. I mean, ANYTHING.
I know there are a few hundred there, sure, you're right. But the way I see it the huge, massive majority are in opposition to Sixfields and Sisu.
SBT, is just a few hundred people. 500/700 people on a really busy day? The vast majority of fans possibly don't know it exists.
I'm not knocking it. For all the issues with it, it's still an outlet for CCFC talk.:D

covcity4life

What are you on about, you're fast becoming the most ridiculous poster on here. If you think a football team relocating temporarily is equal to you're wife cheating on you with you're best mate, you're obviously a sandwich short of a picnic. One other thing, why the sudden change of tack? You were once the most rabid of anti council posters. What's changed in the last couple of weeks?

i have ALWAYS been angry at being in northampton and i have ALWAYS said noone should go

for you to now put that down to me all of a sudden loving the council shows you up for the zealot you are.

TheOldFive

Have a nice day.
Spoken with passion. I don't hold the same views about what's right or wrong or what people should or shouldn't do or what constitutes betrayal or support - but I can very much appreciate and perhaps understand how you have arrived at your opinions. Indeed, they are much nearer the majority view than my own which must be an encouragement to maintain them. Fair play to you.

covmark

i have ALWAYS been angry at being in northampton and i have ALWAYS said noone should go

for you to now put that down to me all of a sudden loving the council shows you up for the zealot you are.

Where have I said you love the council?

torchomatic

covmark

how does me saying people shouldnt go northampton make me and less anti council in your words?

I've never seen you say people shouldn't go to Northampton except for maybe the last week or so. Almost every post you used to make was a dig at the council or Shmmeee or others with whats perceived to be a more council tolerable view. I'm not having a go, I'm just wondering why the change of tack. There's no need for you to call me a zealot.

covcity4life

I've never seen you say people shouldn't go to Northampton except for maybe the last week or so. Almost every post you used to make was a dig at the council or Shmmeee or others with whats perceived to be a more council tolerable view. I'm not having a go, I'm just wondering why the change of tack. There's no need for you to call me a zealot.

but you are because you are trying to make out like i have changed my views. i have said since get go no one should go to sixfields. in first few months i kinda understood but it my opinion on it all only strengthens with every day. i havent been all season, for you to say its a 2 week opinion is a calculated lie.

Users who are viewing this thread