Ashes 17/18 Thread (4 Viewers)

Otis

Bloody hell! Wicket down already. Only 7 balls in.

Otis

Another one down. Ali out for 11, still trailing by 86 runs. Just 4 wickets left.

Can't see us lasting much longer.

SkyBlueSoul

Just woke up again to hear Overton and Broad go, wish I hadn’t fallen asleep to TMS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingy

How long has it been now since Cook was a truely solid opener?
Feels like around five or more years to me.
Then you have to question whether Root is Captain material or that his form is destroyed by that responsibility.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Cook i'd hate for him to be finished now always thought he'd go on to 36/37 and go out on his own terms, i's stick with personally.

Root was never ready for the captaincy more a case of who else, the answer was nobody.

Broad for me is the one out the old guard that id be tempted to move on.l, invest in a couple of youngsters to play alongside Jimmy.

Last edited:

wingy

Cook is hate for him to be finished now always thought he'd go on to 36/37 and go out on his own terms, if stick with personally.

Root was never ready for the captaincy more a case of who else, the answer was nobody.

Broad for me is the one out the old guard that id be tempted to move on.l, invest in a couple of youngsters to play alongside Jimmy.
But I don't quite understand the loyalty to Cook who was undoubtedly brilliant in the past yet Seems to have underperformed for eons now apart from one series.
I'd like to see more emphasis on the sport phsychology side, as both those captains have the technique, what's going on between the ears that Seems to debilitate them.

Mcbean

But I don't quite understand the loyalty to Cook who was undoubtedly brilliant in the past yet Seems to have underperformed for eons now apart from one series.
I'd like to see more emphasis on the sport phsychology side, as both those captains have the technique, what's going on between the ears that Seems to debilitate them.

Well it did'nt stop Smith getting runs - intensive care required - listened to the lot this morning - kicked the wife on the first ball to Bairstow

wingy

One aspect in this form of the game surely must relate to the amount of time away from home.
On tour for months on end.
Fine for single young lads, not so, or maybe not,for married with families.

Otis

One aspect in this form of the game surely must relate to the amount of time away from home.
On tour for months on end.
Fine for single young lads, not so, or maybe not,for married with families.
Married with families should be the ones who should jump at the chance.

It's called respite.

wingy

Well it did'nt stop Smith getting runs - intensive care required - listened to the lot this morning - kicked the wife on the first ball to Bairstow
Yeah sorry Wasn't clear there
Meant Cook and Root.
Found Roots post match, assessment of the 3 matches a bit strange.
Almost like he's in denial.

Otis

Yeah sorry Wasn't clear there
Meant Cook and Root.
Found Roots post match, assessment of the 3 matches a bit strange.
Almost like he's in denial.
No, more likely to be the Swan. Denial is in Egypt.

Last edited:

Covstu

Appalling display again, we can’t bat or bowl at present. Our bowling attack is 10 mph slower than it should, they are not aggressive enough with way too many short balls. Batting is extremely poor, cook not at the races and hasn’t been for along time, no real other opener either. We have an awful tail end and a very intermittent mid order than could be brilliant. Root looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders and not taking captaincy well.

wingy

I'm not a massive follower or fan as such but obviously would love for them to be doing better.
What is the quality of the heirarchy and backroom like currently, compared to halcyon years?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'd be half tempted to take Cook, Ali & Broad out the firing line, get them home and away from Cricket for a bit (bring Ali back out for Odis) bring some of the Lions players/rest of squad players for the last 2 Tests have a bit of pressure off free reign to get some sort of positives out of the series.

The fear/confidence factor is well and truly set In a few of these Players.

wingy

Tell you what I found astounding, the level of protection of the wicket from rain.
Below English county level and unacceptable really, I guess they don't get much in Perth but Strewth.

Gazolba

It's time we all realised that Australia are just much better than us at cricket.
We are much better than them at football, but in football, they are catching up.

Grendel

It's time we all realised that Australia are just much better than us at cricket.
We are much better than them at football, but in football, they are catching up.

It would be far closer in the uk - I fact I think we’d probably win in the uk - their batting is not great and many struggle in the uk including Smith.

Brighton Sky Blue

It would be far closer in the uk - I fact I think we’d probably win in the uk - their batting is not great and many struggle in the uk including Smith.

If we win here, it tends to be close. If they win there, it's normally a whitewash. There is a worrying lack of resilience when we travel.

Gazolba

My quick fix:
Openers Stoneman and Vince, Cook drops to three, Malan four, Root five.
Drop Moeen and Broad.
Bring in Wood and Stokes.

Gazolba

Their batting not great?
Smith got 239 and Marsh 181. Out two top rated batsmen (Cook and Root) got, 7, 20, 14 and 14.
Although I must admit, the quality (or lack of) of the bowling had as much to do with those figures at the quality of the batting.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

My quick fix:
Openers Stoneman and Vince, Cook drops to three, Malan four, Root five.
Drop Moeen and Broad.
Bring in Wood and Stokes.

Overton will be out the series, id give Curran and Wood a go with the ball.
Maybe Crane for Ali (makes the batting weak though but it's hardly performing)

I'd give Foakes a go and the gloves.

Maybe- Cook,Stoneman,Root, Malan, Bairstow, Foakes,Woakes,Curran,Wood,Anderson & Crane

Just looks too light on the batting front. Shows how big a loss Stokes is for that balance too the side.

Grendel

Their batting not great?
Smith got 239 and Marsh 181. Out two top rated batsmen (Cook and Root) got, 7, 20, 14 and 14.
Although I must admit, the quality (or lack of) of the bowling had as much to do with those figures at the quality of the batting.

I said in England. Smith had one big century at lords. At three of the test grounds he averaged 20 or less.

You do realise playing in England is a world away from a hard flat track at Perth right?

wingy

Overton will be out the series, id give Curran and Wood a go with the ball.
Maybe Crane for Ali (makes the batting weak though but it's hardly performing)

I'd give Foakes a go and the gloves.

Maybe- Cook,Stoneman,Root, Malan, Bairstow, Foakes,Woakes,Curran,Wood,Anderson & Crane

Just looks too light on the batting front. Shows how big a loss Stokes is for that balance too the side.
No Vince?
I admit I only saw his 55.
But that was absolute stoic resistence, he was just on the edge of giving them a smacked arse bar the freak ending.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

No Vince?
I admit I only saw his 55.
But that was absolute stoic resistence, he was just on the edge of giving them a smacked arse bar the freak ending.

I'm not sold on him personally.

I am really interested in how Joe Clarke from Worcester does in div 1 next year I think he might have a test cap before 2018 is out.

chiefdave

Well that wasn't a surprise but to not put up a fight when there was the possibility of a good chunk of the day being lost to rain was poor.

Interesting point on the radio that the number of visiting sides winning series is getting lower as pitch technology allows the home groundsman to prepare pitches for the home side to a greater degree.

Does the ICC need to step in and have independent groundsman overseeing test pitches?

Terry Gibson's perm

A road produced so would expect the Aussie to rack up hundreds, having to watch the fat arsehole warner bat so going to bed

Otis

We still have a great chance. Aussies only 102-0 at lunch and with Warner only making 83 from 94 balls, we should surely be able to get the plodding tortoise out soon.

All bodes well.

Users who are viewing this thread