Ashes 17/18 Thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

50 for Stuart Broad.

Another one we dismissed to the cricketing dustbin! ;)

100 partnership too! Cook and Broad.

Otis

Broad finally out for 56. Except he is not out. Deep field catch, but the ball pops out and definitely touches the ground.

Yet, it is given out after a long, long review process.

Bad decision.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched the highlights superb partnership between Broad and Cook.

The Vince and Malan lbws not sure how neither didn't know they'd hit it!

Superb innings by Cook.

Still fancy a draw looks very good wicket.

Covstu

Great knock by cook, this is why he was captain just gutted he didn’t turn up before but it is the hardest job on the field. A lot of cricket to play and if we cannot skittle them out quickly it can only end in a draw. Come on boys let’s get a point on the board for pride!

Otis

Just watched the highlights superb partnership between Broad and Cook.

The Vince and Malan lbws not sure how neither didn't know they'd hit it!

Superb innings by Cook.

Still fancy a draw looks very good wicket.
Yeah, and you would need to make the allowance for Smith probably getting at least 50 or 60 again. Can't see them getting out 'played on' this time either.

Mcbean

Got a chest infection so stayed home after listening last night - Fingers crossed bowlers can finish the job set up by Cook and Broad - when Mo hit that six Boycs nearly fell off the chair - aside where are John Agnew Vic Marks tuffers and Charlie Dagnall - their voices are more soothing for me while dozing

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Half a day lost, no progress made by England in that half. It's going to be a draw which is a shame as it was setting up for a decent test with England having a chance.

I suppose at least the whitewash has been avoided.

chiefdave

Might as well abandon it now and let everyone head off and get ready for the next test. Chucking it down, even if they get back on at some point there's no chance of a result.

chiefdave

Well at least it won't be 5-0. IMO this is where having such long tours is a problem. 3-0 down with 1 to go all England will be thinking about is it all being over but they're away until the start of April. 10 one days, 5 T20's and another 3 tests against New Zealand.

Gazolba

You can't help but thinking once the Ashes are secured the other side takes their foot off the pedal.
So to me a 'great' performace when it no longer matters is always questionable.

Terry Gibson's perm

Annoyed with Ecb Mitchell marsh is spending next summer here with Surrey to get used to conditions they should have their payments cut until he is released

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Woakes out Crane in, I'm sure the Aussies will go after him like they did to Kerrigan.

Hopefully England can end the test tour with some sort of positives, wickets for Curran & Crane & a ton for Stoneman.......

Otis

Bloody hell, England!!!

Strolling along nicely. Last 10 balls of the day, 2 wickets!! Root and Bairstow.

From 228 -3 to 233-5.

Going to seriously have to dig in tomorrow or they could all be out by 300.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

All the hard work thrown away at the end of the day!

Ali in no form and the tail starting at 8, can see Aus running through England quickly tomorrow and being 280 all out.

Otis

Less than 300 and I think it's going to be defeat.

Think we need to post about 375 to make it competitive.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Well Englands tail wagged better than expected 346.
Aussies started well 152-2, Smith looks set again!
Just watched Crane's highlighted, he's created a few half chance, bit of turn and doesn't look phased, hopefully pick up a few wickets.

Englands score looks below par need to limit Aus to 400 here to stay in the game!

Otis

Definitely look on course to pass 400.

As it stands right now, a defeat looks on the cards. Any lead of the Aussies needs to be less than about 40 I would say.

Covstu

we did okay albeit the two cheap wickets last night killed us and should he have played two nightwatchmen instead of Bairstow but JB should have seen it out. Aussies look comfortable but if we can get Kawaja out quickly tomorrow and then really pepper Smith we might have a shout. Our attack sadly don't seem up to the job of getting quick wickets.

Otis

Defeat looks quite certain I fear. Khawaja out for 171. Was that quick enough? ;)

Aussies now 387-4 and a lead of 41.

Would expect them to get quite close to 500 now and bag a sizeable lead.

I then think an English collapse and all out cheaply is on the cards. Could be a crushing victory. :(

Hope I'm wrong. We do have them pinned down a bit at the moment and they are not scoring freely, but without taking wickets all we are doing is slowing them down slightly.

Otis

Lead now up to 91 and still only 4 wickets down.

Going to get well and truly pummeled.

Gazolba

Every time you think England have got a decent score, Australia go in and show us it wasn't a decent score after all.
I'm not sure what is worse, our batting or our bowling.
Anderson is our only top class bowler. As for a top class batter, I don't think we have one.
Now, you are thinking this is a great batting surface - well wait till England get in, you'll see it isn't such a great batting wicket after all.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Both disciplines are as poor as the other but bowlers are ‘more’ important as you need 20 wickets to win a test. Don’t think we’ve got that many all series!

Disaster of a tour!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’d given up after 2nd test. Every time smith gets runs I console myself that he’ll get ripped apart on the tour here in a couple of years. I’m looking forward to his ‘style’ on a green Trent bridge seamer.

All good apart from Trent Bridge hasn’t got a test in 2019.
Lord’s, Oval, OT, Edgbaston & Headingley

Otis

I’d given up after 2nd test. Every time smith gets runs I console myself that he’ll get ripped apart on the tour here in a couple of years. I’m looking forward to his ‘style’ on a green Trent bridge seamer.
Don't think he has a style. He just has very quick hands.

Yeah, when it's swinging over here he may well look a much more average player.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Don't think he has a style. He just has very quick hands.

Yeah, when it's swinging over here he may well look a much more average player.

I follow Aussie domestic cricket from a distance but check scorecards etc and the amount of times Smiths out for low scores to quicks is very common, England definitely missed a trick by not picking using an out and out paceman in the side to target Smith early on!

Notably Overton had success v Smith he’s not quick but by banging it in somebody like Wood or Plunkett 10mph quicker may have caused issues.

Terry Gibson's perm

All good apart from Trent Bridge hasn’t got a test in 2019.
Lord’s, Oval, OT, Edgbaston & Headingley

All the Aussies will have spent plenty of time in county cricket practising by then, that’s not the order of the tests is it as England should start at the real home of cricket to ensure a win before they go off to London

Users who are viewing this thread