Championship 22-23 (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Brighton are signing Joao Pedro from Watford for a club record £30million. I can't even say that this kid has shown anything more than promise in the games that I've seen him play. 24 goals in 104 appearances over 2 1/2 years for Watford and a career record of 34 goals in 146 club appearances. Compared to Vik's 40 goals in 93 appearances in the same time period (including periods at St Pauli and Swansea on loan), career 77 goals over 226 club appearances. Vik is also a proven international goalscorer whereas Pedro hasn't represented any international team to date.

Well, if Pedro's worth £30m to a growing club like Brighton, Vik's price tag just took another massive jump.

What you have to remember is that vik has 1 year left and we’re somewhat desperate for cash, whereas Pedro had a couple of years left.

also Gyokeres is arguably at his peak and not much room to improve. João Pedro is only 21 so his potential is more.

if we had 3 years left, then absolutely we could ask for 30. But our desperation + limited contract is likely to see us get 20m max

The Philosopher

What you have to remember is that vik has 1 year left and we’re somewhat desperate for cash, whereas Pedro had a couple of years left.

also Gyokeres is arguably at his peak and not much room to improve. João Pedro is only 21 so his potential is more.

if we had 3 years left, then absolutely we could ask for 30. But our desperation + limited contract is likely to see us get 20m max
The fact that there are a few interested in him will mean that if (say) Wolves bid £15m, would say (Leeds) want to miss out? No, they’ll bid £16m and so on. Whoever signs him will stick him on a longer contract you’d have thought.

His age in on his side

He’s a rare beast so it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a bidding war at some point.

shepardo01

The fact that there are a few interested in him will mean that if (say) Wolves bid £15m, would say (Leeds) want to miss out? No, they’ll bid £16m and so on. Whoever signs him will stick him on a longer contract you’d have thought.

His age in on his side

He’s a rare beast so it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a bidding war at some point.
Not necessarily- doesn't always work like that. Club could accept, say multiple offers of 15m and then it is down to Vik and his agent to thrash out the best deal for him....

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

His age in on his side

Not necessarily - we could accept 15m, that’s the going rate then. Nobody is gonna bid more.

bidding war only works if we’re turning offers down

Flying Fokker

Brighton are signing Joao Pedro from Watford for a club record £30million. I can't even say that this kid has shown anything more than promise in the games that I've seen him play. 24 goals in 104 appearances over 2 1/2 years for Watford and a career record of 34 goals in 146 club appearances. Compared to Vik's 40 goals in 93 appearances in the same time period (including periods at St Pauli and Swansea on loan), career 77 goals over 226 club appearances. Vik is also a proven international goalscorer whereas Pedro hasn't represented any international team to date.

Well, if Pedro's worth £30m to a growing club like Brighton, Vik's price tag just took another massive jump.

One detail that may or may not go in our favour is Gyokeres age.

Hertsccfc

It's not just about goal scoring rates though. Godden's is about the same as Gyokeres' and I don't think we would get £30 million for him.

Terry Gibson's perm

No doubt Burnley will come in and offer 50p and that melon head will keep talking about to him to press to try to unsettle him. The wolves link makes sense for them, Leeds will be in the championship next season and Everton could be as well.

Astute

Not necessarily - we could accept 15m, that’s the going rate then. Nobody is gonna bid more.

bidding war only works if we’re turning offers down
The days are gone where we accept the first offer.

Gyokeres could easily be the difference of a club staying up or getting relegated. This alone makes him a target worth chasing. An extra 5m or more to secure the top target is a drop in the ocean to Prem sides.

Happy_Martian

It's not just about goal scoring rates though. Godden's is about the same as Gyokeres' and I don't think we would get £30 million for him.

Correct, it's not just about goals.

More comparision.

From Infogols:

"In the English Football League - Championship season 2022/23, João Pedro has played 31 matches (plus 4 as a sub). They have 28 shots on target from a total of 61 shots and have scored 11 goals (8.13 xG). João Pedro averages 36 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 75%, and has 4 assists. João Pedro has received 7 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for João Pedro in the English Football League - Championship 2022/23 season is 7.25."

"In the English Football League - Championship season 2022/23, Viktor Gyokeres has played 43 matches (plus 2 as a sub). They have 56 shots on target from a total of 94 shots and have scored 21 goals (21.51 xG). Viktor Gyokeres averages 22 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 69%, and has 10 assists. Viktor Gyokeres has received 7 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Viktor Gyokeres in the English Football League - Championship 2022/23 season is 7.66."

And for humour:

"In the English Football League - Championship season 2022/23, Matt Godden has played 21 matches (plus 8 as a sub). They have 16 shots on target from a total of 31 shots and have scored 8 goals (8.45 xG). Matt Godden averages 13 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 64%, and has 3 assists. Matt Godden has received 0 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Matt Godden in the English Football League - Championship 2022/23 season is 6.79."

Think it's fair to say Vik is a more all-round striker than Pedro 🤓 And Godden has a better xG than Pedro too. ;)

And our own Callum Wilson joined Newcastle in 2020 at the age of 29 for a price believed to be £20million. Think Vik is like a vintage wine. Still young and rough but fruity enough to expect a lot when properly aged, and will add to his price multiple times.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Correct, it's not just about goals.

More comparision.

From Infogols:

"In the English Football League - Championship season 2022/23, João Pedro has played 31 matches (plus 4 as a sub). They have 28 shots on target from a total of 61 shots and have scored 11 goals (8.13 xG). João Pedro averages 36 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 75%, and has 4 assists. João Pedro has received 7 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for João Pedro in the English Football League - Championship 2022/23 season is 7.25."

"In the English Football League - Championship season 2022/23, Viktor Gyokeres has played 43 matches (plus 2 as a sub). They have 56 shots on target from a total of 94 shots and have scored 21 goals (21.51 xG). Viktor Gyokeres averages 22 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 69%, and has 10 assists. Viktor Gyokeres has received 7 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Viktor Gyokeres in the English Football League - Championship 2022/23 season is 7.66."

And for humour:

"In the English Football League - Championship season 2022/23, Matt Godden has played 21 matches (plus 8 as a sub). They have 16 shots on target from a total of 31 shots and have scored 8 goals (8.45 xG). Matt Godden averages 13 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 64%, and has 3 assists. Matt Godden has received 0 yellow cards and 0 red cards. The average Infogol Player Rating for Matt Godden in the English Football League - Championship 2022/23 season is 6.79."

Think it's fair to say Vik is a more all-round striker than Pedro 🤓 And Godden has a better xG than Pedro too. ;)

And our own Callum Wilson joined Newcastle in 2020 at the age of 29 for a price believed to be £20million. Think Vik is like a vintage wine. Still young and rough but fruity enough to expect a lot when properly aged, and will add to his price multiple times.
Genuinely think he could sell for more than £30m

Astute

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Prem sides after a player don't have many choices. One doing well is out of reach of most clubs. Pay a high fee or gamble on a foreign player. Or go for those that stand out in a level below.

Several clubs will be looking at Gyokeres. How does a club get to become the one to sign him? It certainly won't be wait a year until he is out of contract. The higher the bid the better the chance of getting the player.

Alkhen

30m! No chance. He has a year left on his current deal and can talk to European clubs about a free transfer next Jan. We'll get a good whack but not that good

Astute

30m! No chance. He has a year left on his current deal and can talk to European clubs about a free transfer next Jan. We'll get a good whack but not that good
The place to be is the Prem.

He wants to play in the Prem. He dropped to us to get game time and another chance. If we go up I expect him to stay. Like just about the whole squad he is happy where he is. We need to wait and see what happens the next couple of weeks.

Nuskyblue

His age in on his side

Leeds spent the guts of £40m for some shithouse you never heard of from (Hoffenheim?) who has done next to fuck all. Vic could easily go for 20m plus if there is interest.

Hopefully we get promotion and he signs a new contract making it a moot point

Astute

We're the form side. Great defence, midfield strong especially with Hamer and Gyokeres up front. Add to that the golden glove winner.

And we've only lost 1 game in the last 16.

Yet all some want to do is argue about how we won't get much for Gyokeres and silly reasons why.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We're the form side. Great defence, midfield strong especially with Hamer and Gyokeres up front. Add to that the golden glove winner.

And we've only lost 1 game in the last 16.

Yet all some want to do is argue about how we won't get much for Gyokeres and silly reasons why.

Welcome to SBT m8.

Alkhen

Talk me through your thought process
Don't get me wrong I think he is the best striker we have had in ages but 30m is OTT.

here are a few things I reckon would stop us getting mega bucks:

He isn't a youth prospect he is nearly 25.

He isn't English so won't get that premium that brings

A year left gives his agent leverage to push through a move, especially with the threat of him being able to sign a contract with European clubs.

he is an ambitious guy, he just got a new agent, you don't do that for no reason. it'll take a massive deal to get him to stay even if we go up in my opinion.

Looking at the top 10 biggest ever fees received for a Champ forward moving to the Prem I really don't think Vik will reach 30, I reckon 20m max

Screenshot_2023-05-05-22-49-30-395-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Astute

Don't get me wrong I think he is the best striker we have had in ages but 30m is OTT.

A year left gives his agent leverage to push through a move, especially with the threat of him being able to sign a contract with European clubs.

he is an ambitious guy, he just got a new agent, you don't do that for no reason. it'll take a massive deal to get him to stay even if we go up in my opinion.

Looking at the top 10 biggest ever fees received for a Champ forward moving to the Prem I really don't think Vik will reach 30, I reckon 20m max

View attachment 29378
I'm expecting about 20m for him if we don't go up this season. The up to 30m is if a bidding war happens as stated. As I said an extra 5m or so is peanuts in the Prem to secure a signing.

Nearly 25? So he is 24. Still most probably not reached his peak for a few years. They wouldn't be paying in the hope he lives up to hype.

Look at the dates in the list. All but one in the last few years and most before Covid. Those since Covid have gone for more on average. This is normal for the Prem. Clubs are desperate to stay up.

Then we come to the premium for English players. Tou would think that most on the list are English. But they are not. Doesn't make a lot of difference.

The way I see it is 15m if just one club is serious with a bid. Around 20m if a couple of clubs do so. If there's a bidding war we could only guess. And several clubs seem interested.

robbiekeane

View attachment 29378
He’s 24 years old you mad head.

His 1 year on his contract only gives him leverage against us really in terms of whether we let him go or not which we obviously have to.

Doesn’t stop a bidding war though for a player in demand…they’re competing against each other not against us

Sky Blue Pete

His 1 year on his contract only gives him leverage against us really in terms of whether we let him go or not which we obviously have to.

Doesn’t stop a bidding war though for a player in demand…they’re competing against each other not against us
Yep that’s where I am but his points were well made

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

No chance,

but the bidding war is on wages. The value goes up if we keep rejecting offers. We’ve got to gage who will pay more and what they’ll pay.

we’re then playing a game of chicken against the clubs who may say -“nah - we’ll wait until January, order him a bigger signing on fee and more wages”

You’ve also got to remember he may do a Leon Clarke and throw his toys out his pram if we turn down offers for a club he wants to go to.

the club are not in a strong position in terms of rejecting offers. I think we’ll get 20m but nowhere near 30m

Astute

Yep that’s where I am but his points were well made
Points well made yes...didn't mention one of them was 28. Said he isn't English. Same as half the list.

The main point is how many players of his ability are available. I can't think of any. That puts his value a bit higher. But at the end of the day he is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Points well made yes...didn't mention one of them was 28. Said he isn't English. Same as half the list.

The main point is how many players of his ability are available. I can't think of any. That puts his value a bit higher. But at the end of the day he is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
You’re forgetting that it’s not just his worth as ability - it’s what we’re willing to accept. We can’t afford to let him go for nothing - puts us on the back foot already. If he had 5 years left - then yes, 30m as a minimum but in 6 months time he’s allowed to talk to foreign teams and go for nothing.

his missus plays for Juventus - Italy is likely appealing.

there’s a lot of variables and none are in our favour.

Astute

but the bidding war is on wages. The value goes up if we keep rejecting offers. We’ve got to gage who will pay more and what they’ll pay.

we’re then playing a game of chicken against the clubs who may say -“nah - we’ll wait until January, order him a bigger signing on fee and more wages”

You’ve also got to remember he may do a Leon Clarke and throw his toys out his pram if we turn down offers for a club he wants to go to.

the club are not in a strong position in terms of rejecting offers. I think we’ll get 20m but nowhere near 30m
Why is the bidding war on wages? He is under contract. If he was a free agent it would all be about the wages. Someone has to make an acceptable offer before wages can be negotiated.

Not in a strong position? Depends which way you mean. For keeping him we're not in a strong position. But for selling..... There are several sides who would love to sign him. For anyone to have a chance they would have to put a big offer in to have a chance. And all we can do is guess who and how much.

Astute

You’re forgetting that it’s not just his worth as ability - it’s what we’re willing to accept. We can’t afford to let him go for nothing - puts us on the back foot already. If he had 5 years left - then yes, 30m as a minimum but in 6 months time he’s allowed to talk to foreign teams and go for nothing.

his missus plays for Juventus - Italy is likely appealing.

there’s a lot of variables and none are in our favour.
If he isn't staying he will be sold before the closed season finishes.

How many Italian clubs have expressed an interest?

We would be on the back foot as you say if only 1 or 2 clubs were interested.

And strangely enough we both agree on the value. Mine is 15 to 20m. My only point which you seem to ignore is it could easily go higher with a bidding war. You seem to be stating there's no chance of a bidding war. Haven't you seen the way Prem sides throw money around on average players?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

If he isn't staying he will be sold before the closed season finishes.

How many Italian clubs have expressed an interest?

We would be on the back foot as you say if only 1 or 2 clubs were interested.

And strangely enough we both agree on the value. Mine is 15 to 20m. My only point which you seem to ignore is it could easily go higher with a bidding war. You seem to be stating there's no chance of a bidding war. Haven't you seen the way Prem sides throw money around on average players?
There’s only a bidding war if you’re looking at it one at a time. If 5 teams come in with 17m for example a we’ll accept all 5. We won’t say yes to 1 and reject the others

they do throw money at average players, but it doesn’t mean they won’t move on to cheaper average players. Gyokeres will be one of 6 targets for every team

Alkhen

I said nearly 25. 4th June so less than a month away. He will be before the start of next season so they would be buying a 25yr old player.

He will go for a big fee but I think 30m is unrealistic looking at all the factors

Users who are viewing this thread