Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

Ian1779

I already have colleagues going off work or leaving their jobs because of stress not even a half term in. The kids are allowed to have infinite mixing within their year groups, that is what’s driving up the numbers. Similarly in universities. But they seem intent on closing everything else to work backwards from the conclusion that schools and unis are non negotiable
When they say ‘students’ are the driving force behind the increase in infections they want you to think of those 16-20 when in reality there is just as much in the 11-16 group. We have a child in Year 11 with suspected Cov-ID and was getting tested today. I had to track the amount of students he shared a lesson space with in the last 2 days ( not social time or any of the adults) and it was 143. Now if he is has it, according to the guidelines they all should self-isolate, and then all that they have been with that’s the whole year of 240 out. Just from 1 student. Now they may all be fine, and even those that may end up with it - but that’s 240 ‘spreaders’ taking it back to their homes, their families. You can see how it can spread so quickly.

Brighton Sky Blue

When they say ‘students’ are the driving force behind the increase in infections they want you to think of those 16-20 when in reality there is just as much in the 11-16 group. We have a child in Year 11 with suspected Cov-ID and was getting tested today. I had to track the amount of students he shared a lesson space with in the last 2 days ( not social time or any of the adults) and it was 143. Now if he is has it, according to the guidelines they all should self-isolate, and then all that they have been with that’s the whole year of 240 out. Just from 1 student. Now they may all be fine, and even those that may end up with it - but that’s 240 ‘spreaders’ taking it back to their homes, their families. You can see how it can spread so quickly.

When you sit down and think about even that one example the stupidity of the plan becomes mind boggling. And it also makes me think more than ever that we should include teachers in the bubble so they at least have a chance of teaching effectively, even if it's just practical subjects first.

Ian1779

When you sit down and think about even that one example the stupidity of the plan becomes mind boggling. And it also makes me think more than ever that we should include teachers in the bubble so they at least have a chance of teaching effectively, even if it's just practical subjects first.
The schools have to mitigate what they can - and I think it would be a damn sight worse already if they didn’t have some measures in place like masks and year groups in separate bubbles. Additionally, the only place that the kids don’t wear masks is in lessons where they are sat in rows. They are all wearing masks in every corridor, every social time.

Obviously I don’t know how it is in your school, but the thing I’ve heard that’s pushing teachers over the edge is firstly the constant movement of staff, rather than people having their own room base, the anxiety of trying to adhere to all the guidelines/restrictions/health and safety and it just being too overwhelming. The worst thing by far I’ve heard from my wife’s school is that leadership teams continuing with staffing observations, book scrutiny, and over zealous monitoring of teachers. Right now the only priority should be getting kids in, keeping them as safe as possible and providing them with an education in the best way they can. Leadership teams that persist in this behaviour are a disgrace IMO.

Brighton Sky Blue

The schools have to mitigate what they can - and I think it would be a damn sight worse already if they didn’t have some measures in place like masks and year groups in separate bubbles. Additionally, the only place that the kids don’t wear masks is in lessons where they are sat in rows. They are all wearing masks in every corridor, every social time.

Obviously I don’t know how it is in your school, but the thing I’ve heard that’s pushing teachers over the edge is firstly the constant movement of staff, rather than people having their own room base, the anxiety of trying to adhere to all the guidelines/restrictions/health and safety and it just being too overwhelming. The worst thing by far I’ve heard from my wife’s school is that leadership teams continuing with staffing observations, book scrutiny, and over zealous monitoring of teachers. Right now the only priority should be getting kids in, keeping them as safe as possible and providing them with an education in the best way they can. Leadership teams that persist in this behaviour are a disgrace IMO.

At our school the masks are only mandatory moving between rooms. At break and lunch they can do whatever. The causes of anxiety are similar I think but for us in practical subjects and specifically science it's been even worse because we've had to rip up and rewrite the curriculum with no guidance. Those in others e.g. Art, DT, Drama etc can continue to teach in their usual settings. That's not to try and one up or score points, it's just how it is.

I have done what I can but the younger ones I teach have had zero lab time, the GCSE classes have had a few goes (but even then they can't do experiments, they can only watch me so engagement is poor), and the A-level classes have been prioritised so I am at least teaching close to normal for them.

wingy

Do feel for the. Pair of you.
Do you feel the conventional term year is going to be sustainable,or reorganised .
Will half terms need to become longer,breaks more frequent etc .
If there are signs of peaks occuring ?

Brighton Sky Blue

Do you feel the conventional term year is going to be sustainable,or reorganised .

I think first and foremost we need a decision regarding GCSEs and A-levels so that we get it right and the respective year groups aren't failed by the system as they were this time. My strong preference would be to have year groups on site in a rotation to allow practical subjects to be taught closer to normal conditions while non-practical subjects are delivered remotely

Ian1779

I don’t believe that exams will happen again this year, but I also think they will drag their feet in coming to this conclusion which helps no one. I can see extended breaks at half term and Xmas being useful. They won’t be extra holidays as we’ll be expected to deliver some form of remote learning in the extra weeks.

I think many schools thought these temporary plans would be in place only for a half term or two. They’ll be in place all academic year I believe.

The Lurker

Wow! we hear the nhs is underfunded yet look at these jobs and the salarys. come on. what the fuck

Attachments

• A236D843-4132-462F-8FE2-8F087A0D6096.jpeg
    A236D843-4132-462F-8FE2-8F087A0D6096.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 28

CCFCSteve

CAMRA tweeted this out which seems to vhastly contradict the governments claim of 30% of cases coming from hositality settings

View attachment 17205

yeah, I think this is what DOD and others were saying the other day Clint. They stripped out workplace and education numbers first as these are ‘protected areas’ (in terms of measures/restrictions not from Covid obviously !!)

Ps looks like they might’ve stripped out Care as well

NorthernWisdom

yeah, I think this is what DOD and others were saying the other day Clint. They stripped out workplace and education numbers first as these are ‘protected areas’ (in terms of measures/restrictions not from Covid obviously !!)

That graph suggests it's thoroughly pointless closing other things though, if you're determined to keep the places with biggest contagion carry on.

Ring Of Steel

How to give the impression things are actually getting better... just change the scale and lie

I don’t know who this guy is and if he has political affiliations, but he has some good info, particularly around the age groups

David O'Day

Also that is labelled as infections so seems to be where people with a positive test are likely to have caught the virus.

The government slides are labelled as contacts so are seemingly potential know exposure to people with positive cases.

If this is correct it will always skew towards larger figures for hospitality as they are the only sectors apart from education and work where the venues have to take details so know who are in the building. You could potentially infect dozens of people at the supermarket but unless you and all of those people have the app you will not be able to include them as contacts so they go uncounted.

Brighton Sky Blue

Also that is labelled as infections so seems to be where people with a positive test are likely to have caught the virus.

The government slides are labelled as contacts so are seemingly potential know exposure to people with positive cases.

If this is correct it will always skew towards larger figures for hospitality as they are the only sectors apart from education and work where the venues have to take details so know who are in the building. You could potentially infect dozens of people at the supermarket but unless you and all of those people have the app you will not be able to include them as contacts so they go uncounted.

What is also stark from the data is that restaurants have been contributing little to the cases throughout even despite the requirement to track way more people. But in the name of ruining anything good I’m guessing they’ll be among the first to go

CCFCSteve

Only 30 outbreaks in hospitality last week (out of 900+) based on PHE dat

I might be wrong but I get the impression this isn’t government pushing this, its the scientific advisors

ps have people been keeping an eye on Spain’s decreasing case numbers (I think only Madrid is properly locked down). I read even Barca clubs have reopened until 3am (seating only)

The Lurker

Feels utterly appropriate you’d be using Equality to make your point. It’s not even that much money ffs.

lol so on one hand the nhs is in crisis with no money yet pointless jobs yes they are pointless is fine.. bearing In mind already 100’s of jobs in the nhs like this filled already so I’d say 10 million a year spent. equality is a tick box job and fuck all else.

Brighton Sky Blue

lol so on one hand the nhs is in crisis with no money yet pointless jobs yes they are pointless is fine.. bearing In mind already 100’s of jobs in the nhs like this filled already so I’d say 10 million a year spent. equality is a tick box job and fuck all else.

If it’s such a gravy train why can’t we keep hold of our doctors and nurses?

The Lurker

If it’s such a gravy train why can’t we keep hold of our doctors and nurses?

you n me both know gravy train is for the select few in a any sector. makes me laugh how the left slate funding for nhs yet it’s the most it’s been at but then many pointless management jobs in the nhs go to cunts on 100k plus. It sucks

Brighton Sky Blue

you n me both know gravy train is for the select few in a any sector. makes me laugh how the left slate funding for nhs yet it’s the most it’s been at but then many pointless management jobs in the nhs go to cunts on 100k plus. It sucks

I think most on the left want more funding for those providing the actual service rather than for middle managers and executives. Which you’d agree with as well right?

Users who are viewing this thread