Match Thread Coventry City - Mansfield Town Match Thread - Saturday 11th Nov (10 Viewers)

Otis

My opinion on McNuly is he’s the senior forward and didn’t offer Ponticelli anywhere near enough close support which is what a rookie kid needs
Can we blame McNulty for that? Surely that was down to tactical deployment from Mark Robins.

Terry Gibson's perm

We don't get enough players forward quickly enough to make a difference, the team is slow and players like Kelly slow the play

Adge

He is an easy scapegoat for the boo boys.
Indeed. Thought he was our best player 1st half but 2nd half was just as bad as the rest, but I guess out wide didn't help either, round pegs in square holes etc.

Adge

One positive from today I suppose that once again it took a very long range effort in order for us to let a goal in.
That's a positive? It would be weak goalkeeping in my book.

Terry Gibson's perm

Who do we actually have that can hold the ball up?

Perhaps Beavon and Ponticelli wouldn't be such a bad combo up front...

No thanks I don't enjoy watching at the moment and that's without the non scoring striker coming back in

Terry Gibson's perm

What about players paid to set them up?

I must have been looking away for all of those one on one chances he had.

Our fans baffle me

They baffle me how we allow strikers to get away with no goals because they run around, he doesn't get in the right positions to score so on the rare occasions it goes in the box he is nowhere to be seen ( is Beavon his personal coach) pontecelli had little service but still managed three efforts from inside the box why because he gets into the right areas mcnulty stands scratching his arse on the edge of the box

Nick

Administrator
They baffle me how we allow strikers to get away with no goals because they run around, he doesn't get in the right positions to score so on the rare occasions it goes in the box he is nowhere to be seen ( is Beavon his personal coach) pontecelli had little service but still managed three efforts from inside the box why because he gets into the right areas mcnulty stands scratching his arse on the edge of the box
Do you not notice other players dragging defenders away to give ponticelli space?

How many great passes didn't the strikers get on the end of that split the defence yesterday?

Strikers need service. Watch the movement, watch them ask for the ball to run in behind. Both mcnulty and ponticelli tend to point where they want it.

Good example yesterday was Mcnulty lost his man and made a run, Jones held on too long and hammered it out of play.

Mcnulty is having to drop for the ball, he gets it usually by the d on half way then spins off for a run.

Otis

Do you not notice other players dragging defenders away to give ponticelli space?

How many great passes didn't the strikers get on the end of that split the defence yesterday?

Strikers need service.
Flogging a dead horse there, Nick.

There are clearly two things wrong, albeit that they are linked.

1. We are not creating enough. If Jones doesn't threaten, we as a team tend not to threaten.

2. Two holding midfielders leaves us lacking going forwards. This of course is linked to the first point.

Not creating enough and that is in part down to having two holding midfielders in the team.

Terry Gibson's perm

Strikers need service. Watch the movement, watch them ask for the ball to run in behind. Both mcnulty and ponticelli tend to point where they want it.

Good example yesterday was Mcnulty lost his man and made a run, Jones held on too long and hammered it out of play.

Mcnulty is having to drop for the ball, he gets it usually by the d on half way then spins off for a run.

Or midfield doesn't have the ability to create good passes forward but nor do most of the teams in this league but they seem to be scoring. Look where mcnulty hides when we have a corner eighteen yards from goal, he won't be any good running onto a ball he has no pace.

In January we need to get rid of him and Beavon and bring in somebody who can score

Terry Gibson's perm

Flogging a dead horse there, Nick.

There are clearly two things wrong, albeit that they are linked.

1. We are not creating enough. If Jones doesn't threaten, we as a team tend not to threaten.

2. Two holding midfielders leaves us lacking going forwards. This of course is linked to the first point.

Not creating enough and that is in part down to having two holding midfielders in the team.

Ah the Beavon fan club leader has arrived;)

Nick

Administrator
Or midfield doesn't have the ability to create good passes forward but nor do most of the teams in this league but they seem to be scoring. Look where mcnulty hides when we have a corner eighteen yards from goal, he won't be any good running onto a ball he has no pace.

In January we need to get rid of him and Beavon and bring in somebody who can score
Why do you need pace from a corner?

Other teams create chances, unless they all have strikers who score every chance which would be impressive.

Grendel

3. Whenever Grendel loses another debate he turns personal, it’s like clockwork

Notwithstanding the fact I haven’t lost any debate and no one, as usual, agrees with you.

covcity4life

Had mcnulty put in same performance as ponticelli ppl on here would be rating him 1 and 2s

Ponticelli is yoing and talented but he will not be the answer all season long from what ive seen. Few starts and sub appearences and he can get near 10 league goals this season though i think

Terry Gibson's perm

Had mcnulty put in same performance as ponticelli ppl on here would be rating him 1 and 2s

Ponticelli is yoing and talented but he will not be the answer all season long from what ive seen. Few starts and sub appearences and he can get near 10 league goals this season though i think

If he gets 10 that will be as many as Beavon,Mcnulty and biamou added together at this rate

Sky Blue Harry H

Just logged on first time since match. Thought it was a good battle between the team, good atmosphere too. I would be tempted to play Haynes in front of Stokes and stick Jones on the right wing. For me, although we are solid in the middle, we are hamstrung if we can 't open them up on the flanks and we are only playing with one wide player. Played well for a lot of the first half and I said to my mate that was the most I'd enjoyed a 0-0 at half time for a long time. Second half we dropped off and seemed incapable of getting the ball to Jones. Not the end of the world by a long chalk. Nazon back next week - hope Grimmer is back asap. Mansfield played ok I thought, but we certainly weren't bad.

Grendel

Haynes- left & Jones right

Nazon behind McNulty or Pont.

Get Haynes and Jones being direct, getting the ball into the area for whoever the 2 in the middle are simple. : )

Haynes is rubbish

Otis

Stonewall penalty. The defender made contact with their player - they were all screaming after the ball came off the post - how couldn’t it be a penalty?
Have you watched the highlights back?

You really, really sure they were all screaming for a penalty after the ball came back off the post?

If so we were indeed at a different game.

Hardly an appeal to be made there from the Mansfield players. Definitely also looks like Doyle pulled out of the challenge. Definite no penalty for me that one.

Grendel

Have you watched the highlights back?

You really, really sure they were all screaming for a penalty after the ball came back off the post?

If so we were indeed at a different game.

Hardly an appeal to be made there from the Mansfield players. Definitely also looks like Doyle pulled out of the challenge. Definite no penalty for me that one.

It was blatant he ran into him.

Are you saying there was no contact?

Otis

It was blatant he ran into him.

Are you saying there was no contact?
Can't tell from that angle. Ref had a better view. Most certainly wasn't stonewall!

Burge has come out and said Rose was diving all game and there simply wasn't any great mass appeal from their players.

I did think the one where Rose got booked for diving looked like a pen though. Thought Grimmer just caught him, even though he did make a meal of it.

Grendel

Can't tell from that angle. Ref had a better view. Most certainly wasn't stonewall!

Burge has come out and said Rose was diving all game and there simply wasn't any great mass appeal from their players.

I did think the one where Rose got booked for diving looked like a pen though. Thought Grimmer just caught him, even though he did make a meal of it.

You can’t tell from that if there was any contact

Ok

Surprised they missed Vincenti and his chance in the highlights.

Users who are viewing this thread