Coventry is Indeed Becoming Like London (3 Viewers)

LastGarrison

Otis - have you been to the new cafe in the Cathedral yet?

Although I don't know you, I would imagine it would be right up your street! Decked out in 40's decor and just a real cool little retro cafe. Great place for a sandwich and a pot of tea and, considering it is predominantly aimed at people visiting the cathedral, it is really reasonable.

The other thing which I think is excellent is that is run by recovering alcoholics and substance abusers (Grendal's now probably started shaking and feeling physically sick at the thought) and 100% of the profits go back into the charity that runs it.

Seriously next time you're in town if you haven't been check it out!

Otis

I went a few weeks ago pretty early on a Saturday night and found I excellent. Although, one of the waitresses was clearly new, the one who I assumed was running was excellent and couldn't do more for us.

None of the four of us had pizza but I had the half a chicken and it was really good and great value for money. The girls had burgers and they said they were really tasty and can't for the life of me remember what my mate had. But that may have been down to the San Miguel on tap.

Shame to hear it's getting bad reviews as we had such the opposite experience.

Think one of the problems yesterday was that none of the waitressess spoke good English, so it was very hard to communicate with them. My parents both had the quarter chicken (or the 2/4 chicken as they had it down on the menu :thinking about:) and they said there's was okay. My daughter had a chicken burger, which she said she didn't care for much and I ended up with a Margherita pizza which I didn't order and that was nothing special at all and I found it really greasy, which is quite strange, as they are all woodfired pizzas.

The menu though is very, very extensive, so we will go back and try something else. It's a great looking place though and the decor and tables are great looking and the chairs and really big sturdy, solid wood jobs, so no expense has been spared and the plates are all pretty funky too.

The group to our left all loved their meals, so maybe we were just unlucky.

I'ts a fine balance isn't it, because the Ocean is our local Indian and that has always had great reviews and we love it there, but on occasion I have had a very average meal. Of course as we go regularly we can put that down to one single one off poor incident. If that had been our first ever trip however and on that initial trip we had had a bad experience, the likelihood would be that we would not return again.

So, maybe yesterday was just one single one off. We will go back.

Otis

Although I don't know you, I would imagine it would be right up your street! Decked out in 40's decor and just a real cool little retro cafe. Great place for a sandwich and a pot of tea and, considering it is predominantly aimed at people visiting the cathedral, it is really reasonable.

The other thing which I think is excellent is that is run by recovering alcoholics and substance abusers (Grendal's now probably started shaking and feeling physically sick at the thought) and 100% of the profits go back into the charity that runs it.

No, where's that? Is that accessed from walking up towards the cathedral by turning left from the sports centre end? And then on the right before you reach the cathedral?

Steve.B50

We went to PGR last night for the first time, 6 of us in total and none of us had been before.
All of us thought the place was great, good food, nice atmosphere pleasant staff and good prices, will definitely go again.
Outside they had a nice decked area which was heated and looked like a lovely place for a drink one evening, although we ate inside.
My only concern was it was 9.30 on a Friday and it was not very busy, which is a great shame. Oh and the music is very ramdum.

All I would say us give it a go.

Steve.B50

Must check this out.

Otis

Yeah, I found the music random too.

It has a lovely atmosphere about the place doesn't it and as I say, it's been done out beautifully.

Will have to give it another whirl.

LastGarrison

No, where's that? Is that accessed from walking up towards the cathedral by turning left from the sports centre end? And then on the right before you reach the cathedral?

Yeah that's the one, you walk down the little cobbled street towards Priory Square.

Not sure how long it has been in it's present format but I found it really cool.

Just googled it - Rising Cafe it's called.

Sick Boy

This is an typical review;

FANTASTIC TASTING MENU WITH SUPERB SERVICE”
x.gif
Reviewed 29 May 2015

i took my friends for dinner at The Pgr yesterday,and we were all blown away by the lovely atmosphere, the charming service and of course the excellent food.I had a well displayed succulent Fillet steak which was so tasty and delicious it was the best i ever had my friends had a pizza which was wood-oven cooked and %100 Italian style . we all were so happy by the staff especially their wine selection is so fantastico:) i felt i am in Roma and enjoyed my dinner . I`d thoroughly recommend it .We will definitely return.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...staurant-Coventry_West_Midlands_England.html#

Yet we found the service poor and the pizza I had was as bland as bland can be. It was the wrong pizza though. I ordered something else, but got a Margherita pizza instead. We were in a rush so I just said I would eat it anyway, but I found it very plain and lacking flavour. As they got the order wrong though I did get it for free.

Utterly embarrassing. Most 'Italian' food sold in Britain is not authentic and is cooked to please the British taste. Most of these idiots know nothing about real food and think a Dominos is a quality pizza.

Otis

Utterly embarrassing. Most 'Italian' food sold in Britain is not authentic and is cooked to please the British taste. Most of these idiots know nothing about real food and think a Dominos is a quality pizza.

I like Domino's. :D

Otis

Tell you what though, the worst ever Italian pizza I have ever had was in a restaurant in Rome. Supposed to have a good reputation, but the pizza just broke up into a thousand pieces as soon as you put your knife into it and it was a ham and tomato one and it had one slither of ham on it and half a cherry tomato and that was it.

It was just impossible to eat.

Sick Boy

Tell you what though, the worst ever Italian pizza I have ever had was in a restaurant in Rome. Supposed to have a good reputation, but the pizza just broke up into a thousand pieces as soon as you put your knife into it and it was a ham and tomato one and it had one slither of ham on it and half a cherry tomato and that was it.

It was just impossible to eat.

There are indeed a wealth of tourist traps over there. For some reason tourists flock to the poor quality food and huge prices.

Part of their culture that I don't like is that if you trick someone or rip them off it is often seen as clever and intelligent. The restaurants that tourists flock to are always at it. Sadly the only way to avoid it and get what you pay for is to speak Italian.

Ashdown

We went to a little back st restaurant near the Vatican. It was full of priests and other regulars. It was cheap and authentic. That was 10 years ago and I've never been able to find cannelloni that comes even close to that anywhere.

skybluejelly

Nello pizza in the city arcade used to do amazing proper Italian pizza and food in the 80's ,will have to give this one a try

Astute

Peroni is bloody expensive everywhere.....not too sure why......it is not that good a beer ....after I was charged £6.95 for a pint
of it once in London vowed to never buy it again but still do now and again when I forget....it is expensive even in cheap bars!!

I brought over 100 bottles back when I went to Italy last year. They were 99c nearly everywhere but different size bottles. The last place I found was 99c for 900cl bottles. A pint is 568cl IIRC. And I love the stuff. But since I found out how cheap it is in Italy I can't bring myself to pay the prices for it over here. Normally over £4 a litre.

stupot07

I do like Peroni, even here it's it's 50-70p more expensive than most other beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

martcov

Nello pizza in the city arcade used to do amazing proper Italian pizza and food in the 80's ,will have to give this one a try

Good old Nello and waiter Mario. I worked a couple of times in his "Bistro/Disco" where you had to have food ( chicken and chips ) as part of the entrance money as he only had a restaurant licence.

RedSalmon

Went to Street in Earlsdon on Thursday night and was very impressed. Not much for Asian food usually but the meal I had was fantastic.

Nice selection of Asian bottled beers, excellent service with a reasonable bill at the end of it. Will deffinately be going again.

Otis

Went to Street in Earlsdon on Thursday night and was very impressed. Not much for Asian food usually but the meal I had was fantastic.

Nice selection of Asian bottled beers, excellent service with a reasonable bill at the end of it. Will deffinately be going again.

Street? Is that on the High St?

Otis

Just Googled it. I knew a new place was opening at the old HSBC, but I didn't know what it was going to be.

Will check the menu out.

torchomatic

Well we've got their rugby team.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I brought over 100 bottles back when I went to Italy last year. They were 99c nearly everywhere but different size bottles. The last place I found was 99c for 900cl bottles. A pint is 568cl IIRC. And I love the stuff. But since I found out how cheap it is in Italy I can't bring myself to pay the prices for it over here. Normally over £4 a litre.

No other lager comes close to it in my opinion. Italian lager in general is excellent and very light.

Did you try ichnusa? It's a Sardinian lager that is even nicer than Peroni.

I don't mind a cheeky Spritz Aperol every now again either. I was glad to see they had started doing it over here but that soon ended when saw the price- 7quid!! In northern Italy it's only 2euro!!

Grendel

No other lager comes close to it in my opinion. Italian lager in general is excellent and very light.

Did you try ichnusa? It's a Sardinian lager that is even nicer than Peroni.

I don't mind a cheeky Spritz Aperol every now again either. I was glad to see they had started doing it over here but that soon ended when saw the price- 7quid!! In northern Italy it's only 2euro!!

jimmyhillsfanclub

I love a cold Peroni.....

However for those of you bothered by its frankly stupid "premium" price, try Tsingtao as an alternative.......Provided its super cold (why wouldn't it be) then its a close enough match that several of my mates didn't notice the switch during a recent cards night taste test.....

although we were also smoking Montecristos so taste buds may have been slightly dampened.....

You can currently get 3 x 660ml bottles of Tsingtao for a fiver in bargain booze!!

For the record....best bottled beer available IMHO is Birra Moretti.

ajsccfc

I was in Italy last week and outside of a mild spritz addiction I liked the Peroni Malt and Rossa:

Peroni-World-beer-awards65.jpg

Ashdown

I love a cold Peroni.....

However for those of you bothered by its frankly stupid "premium" price, try Tsingtao as an alternative.......Provided its super cold (why wouldn't it be) then its a close enough match that several of my mates didn't notice the switch during a recent cards night taste test.....

although we were also smoking Montecristos so taste buds may have been slightly dampened.....

You can currently get 3 x 660ml bottles of Tsingtao for a fiver in bargain booze!!

For the record....best bottled beer available IMHO is Birra Moretti.

I like that, they sell it in the Noodle bar in Cov, goes very well with the curry beef !

Sick Boy

Birra Moretti is very nice. Maybe my favoirite lager. Only seen it in Wetherspoons though.

In Italy Moretti is considered to be pretty standard. It's been on sale on tap in the south of England for around 5 years or so.

I'm going over there to bring a car back in a couple of months, will be bringing back a couple of hundred bottles of various birre

Grendel

Birra Moretti is very nice. Maybe my favoirite lager. Only seen it in Wetherspoons though.

They sell it in the hungry horse chain on draught at around £4 a pint

Users who are viewing this thread