Coventry is Indeed Becoming Like London (1 Viewer)

Otis

Akbars? Was superb when it opened had about 7-8 curries from there I was recommending it to everyone then don't know what changed but they were awful!

Are they still there? The Mint, which is next door is superb and there's really good reviews about Delhi 8 too. All those 3 are in the same row.

Steve.B50

The Squirrel is a decent pub, so is Inspire, I like the a Establishment and been going to Drapers a lot recently.
All might be a little expensive for drinks but the higher prices keep out the 241 brigade.
Wish people would stop nocking my City, if you don't like don't come here or if you live here move.

Otis

Do you know of the Egyptian restaurant in the city centre? Haven't heard anyone say they've been yet.

Otis

Really think people just don't know about all the restaurants in Cov city centre. Just don't think they get to hear about them.

There's a Japanese restaurant too which people probably don't know about.

Habibi is supposed to be good too, though I haven't been. That is Middle Eastern food.

Grendel

There's quite a few curry places in Cov city centre too.

Would you seriously take a family in the centre at night? I wouldn't.

Otis

Seriously, yes! We do it all the time. Me, my wife, my 10 year old daughter and both my parents, who are 85.

We always eat out in the city centre pretty much.

Nick

Administrator
Last time I.went was to an Indian on gosford street. Awful doesn't explain it!

Tend to stay more local now for pub food, I'm sure there are nice places in town. Just hassle!

Steve.B50

Thats the same everywhere. If your taking the family out you go to a family restaurant or go earlier in the day.

Coventry is not as bad as some places, even smaller towns.

Grendel

Thats the same everywhere. If your taking the family out you go to a family restaurant or go earlier in the day.

Coventry is not as bad as some places, even smaller towns.

But you would in Kenilworth which was the original point. There is zero hassle and a nice ambiance.

Grendel

Last time I.went was to an Indian on gosford street. Awful doesn't explain it!

Tend to stay more local now for pub food, I'm sure there are nice places in town. Just hassle!

Exactly. Beggars, shady characters, drunks lurking in the shadows, gangs of teens and an eerie silence. Also terrible lighting.

It's a horrible place.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Exactly. Beggars, shady characters, drunks lurking in the shadows, gangs of teens and an eerie silence. Also terrible lighting.

It's a horrible place.

I'm not Coventry's biggest fan but doesn't the street lighting go out in Kenilworth at about 23:30 still!? Awful idea that.

SkyblueBazza

It's a horrible place.
And they will all now be moving to Kenilworth thanks to your highly positive recommendation!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Otis

Think Tumeric Gold still has a very good reputation.

just been to PGR Restaurent at Priory Place. Really nice looking restaurant and it is tastefully done out etc., but the food was just okay. Will probably give it another go and choose something else. Menu is very extensive.

Ashdown

Think Tumeric Gold still has a very good reputation.

just been to PGR Restaurent at Priory Place. Really nice looking restaurant and it is tastefully done out etc., but the food was just okay. Will probably give it another go and choose something else. Menu is very extensive.

Went there with the wife, Food was ok, views and décor fantastic but the service was poor really and they need some training. We had our main courses dumped on us before we had finished the starters. Could be really good though if they can get it right !

Ashdown

Kenilworth is far better for eating out and is a far more relaxed and enjoyable experience. Also more choice incredibly.

You're just nervous you've offended that many people on here and that someone might twig who you are in Coventry ?!

Otis

Went there with the wife, Food was ok, views and décor fantastic but the service was poor really and they need some training. We had our main courses dumped on us before we had finished the starters. Could be really good though if they can get it right !

Service wasn't good today either. They got my order wrong and the person on the table behind us complained their main course was cold.

The waitresses didn't seem to understand English very well either. Shame, but hopefully they will get it right.

Grendel

Akbars? Was superb when it opened had about 7-8 curries from there I was recommending it to everyone then don't know what changed but they were awful!

Yes Akbars. Mediocre at best.

I assume the farmhouse is ok - it's certainly thriving when I went in there.

Otis

Weird isn't it. Just looked at some reviews of PGR and they are pretty much all positive and the group on the table to our left today all said their meal was wonderful, but both my daughter and I didn't care for ours much at all and my mum and dad said theirs was just okay.

Otis

This is an typical review;

FANTASTIC TASTING MENU WITH SUPERB SERVICE”
x.gif
Reviewed 29 May 2015

i took my friends for dinner at The Pgr yesterday,and we were all blown away by the lovely atmosphere, the charming service and of course the excellent food.I had a well displayed succulent Fillet steak which was so tasty and delicious it was the best i ever had my friends had a pizza which was wood-oven cooked and %100 Italian style . we all were so happy by the staff especially their wine selection is so fantastico:) i felt i am in Roma and enjoyed my dinner . I`d thoroughly recommend it .We will definitely return.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...staurant-Coventry_West_Midlands_England.html#

Yet we found the service poor and the pizza I had was as bland as bland can be. It was the wrong pizza though. I ordered something else, but got a Margherita pizza instead. We were in a rush so I just said I would eat it anyway, but I found it very plain and lacking flavour. As they got the order wrong though I did get it for free.

Grendel

This is an typical review;

FANTASTIC TASTING MENU WITH SUPERB SERVICE”
x.gif
Reviewed 29 May 2015

i took my friends for dinner at The Pgr yesterday,and we were all blown away by the lovely atmosphere, the charming service and of course the excellent food.I had a well displayed succulent Fillet steak which was so tasty and delicious it was the best i ever had my friends had a pizza which was wood-oven cooked and %100 Italian style . we all were so happy by the staff especially their wine selection is so fantastico:) i felt i am in Roma and enjoyed my dinner . I`d thoroughly recommend it .We will definitely return.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...staurant-Coventry_West_Midlands_England.html#

Yet we found the service poor and the pizza I had was as bland as bland can be. It was the wrong pizza though. I ordered something else, but got a Margherita pizza instead. We were in a rush so I just said I would eat it anyway, but I found it very plain and lacking flavour. As they got the order wrong though I did get it for free.

To be honest unless their is a significant sample of users with a consistent view trip advisor is not a great indicator.

There are lots of inconsistencies and many reports are I believe dubious and have a motivation.

Otis

To be honest unless their is a significant sample of users with a consistent view trip advisor is not a great indicator.

There are lots of inconsistencies and many reports are I believe dubious and have a motivation.

I know that. I am well aware. Can be manipulated by friends and family and associates.

It is a new place so there aren't that many reviews in the grand scheme of things, but it was very busy in there today and as I said, the group on the table to our left all said the meal was excellent.

Trip Advisor

Visitor rating

Excellent
    Very good
    Average
    Poor
    Terrible

I would put myself firmly in the average category.

pipkin73

Many bars here in Puerto Rico, Gran Canria charge between 95 cents and 1.50€ for a pint. Cheap beer, hard to stay sobre lol

LastGarrison

Weird isn't it. Just looked at some reviews of PGR and they are pretty much all positive and the group on the table to our left today all said their meal was wonderful, but both my daughter and I didn't care for ours much at all and my mum and dad said theirs was just okay.

I went a few weeks ago pretty early on a Saturday night and found it excellent. Although, one of the waitresses was clearly new, the one who I assumed was running was excellent and couldn't do more for us.

None of the four of us had pizza but I had the half a chicken and it was really good and great value for money. The girls had burgers (can't buy class) and they said they were really tasty and can't for the life of me remember what my mate had. But that may have been down to the San Miguel on tap.

Shame to hear it's getting bad reviews as we had such the opposite experience.

Users who are viewing this thread