Joe Cole agrees deal with Tampa Bay Rowdies (6 Viewers)

malkitccfc

Rather spend the wages elsewhere but i'm glad I got to see Joe Cole wear our shirt. He hasn't been great but neither has anyone since he joined

Paxman II

He has contributed more than we might think once you break it down. Some of his play was clearly on a different thought level for our players. But overall he has not had any real quality impact bar the odd time here and there. In this league he needs younger legs for his position. He however has had an influential part to play and that has been good. He may have been better had he started the season for us and played himself into a more commanding role over time.
He can still influence a game though and be a match winner so hoping he finds a sparkle or two to end his stay with us over the remaining fixtures, so he can leave on a high.

AFCCOVENTRY

Good luck to him. Hasn't screwed us over in any way.

I don't think he could do a full season in L1 or the Championship.

He's been nothing but professional since coming here.

Otis

What influential part has he played, pax?

One great free kick and a few really good balls in the box.

How many assists does he have?

Hobo

Never bought into Cole will set our season alight hysteria. It was a risk worth taking but has flopped.
there has been lots of factors I am sure but he is one of the reasons our season stalled in my opinion.

shy_tall_knight

I'm of the opinion that its been generally a waste, won't be here next season either. ​We have for years been one of the slowest teams around and he tended to only contribute from a few dead ball positions. Not fit enough to effectively contribute.

Hobo

What we were crying out for was an attacking midfielder who could boss the game and play Armstrong Murphy and Maddison in....Cole just didn't have the legs left to do it. The signs were there in his playing stats since 2013

Kingokings204

No disaster for me. Hasn't done it here and was a mistake to sign on for the rest of the season.

For me his legs have gone, he clearly still has a nice touch but that's not enough. He started his career at 16. He has a lot of miles in those legs and looks tired after 20 minutes.

Hasn't been unprofessional here though I would say.

As another poster said he got what he wanted a bumper last pay day in the states. Cov served his purpose

shy_tall_knight

"No disaster for me. Hasn't done it here and was a mistake to sign on for the rest of the season."

Loans and short term contracts are worth it if they achieve an objective. As we won't make the play-offs, is mid-table a satisfactory result especially as Cole would have been reasonably expensive and will be part of an exodus from the club at the end of the season

ceetee

He looks what he is; a player with a lot of quality but short on pace; that's why his best contributions have been set pieces. I'm not a great supporter of top players playing at a lower level. They tend to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the the team.Wise was an exception

Captain Dart

To sum up, he tried his best but was ultimately disappointing.

Warwickhunt

This is why news is kept away from the fans where ever possible! we just got to snipe about everything! I think that since his fitness has returned somewhat he has been able to effect play the fact that the players he is passing to are not of a quality he would expect makes it look if he is shite!

Warwickhunt

look at it another way! TM has not been setting the team up to win games if you ask me? he is more concerned about the opposition and setting up to stop them playing which is basically killing any flare that we had in the begining of the season and scoring for fun. He should be saying Fuck It we can't be relegated and we cannot get Automatic promotionso lets go and give these god forsaken shite division 1 teams a run for their money.. I was on holiday and missed Saturdays game and from what people have been saying to me that Swindon set up there stall not to concede and Coventry did the same and that even if they still kept playing they would not have scored in a month of Sundays. Come on City (TM) go for it in the last games, i would rather lose 5-4 that all the shit we have to deal with. PUSB

87mint

Good luck to him. Hasn't screwed us over in any way.

I don't think he could do a full season in L1 or the Championship.

He's been nothing but professional since coming here.

surely 'being professional' is the least you should expect from any player. Him managing to not urinate in cups at Cheltenham shouldn't be a form of praise

usskyblue

The setting is as good as it gets.

The standard of the NASL is dreadful. I'd put it at League 2, at best.

Al Lang is a repurposed baseball stadium with an average fanbase of 4,000.

The owner knows nothing about the game, and nor do his advisers. There's an openly stated one year plan, every year. Subsequently, the majority of players are on one year contracts. This leads to a lack of continuity through a high turnover of players every year. There's then a race to gel a brand new squad from Preseason in February to the season opener in late March/early April.

The season is split in to two. A spring and fall season. Two separate seasons yet combined. If you finish top of spring, you make the combined playoffs (even if you finish last in fall).

Lots of below average journeymen players and older imports looking for a last paycheck in the sun. The pitch was relaid last year but not with a thought for drainage, so it's very soft and cuts up badly. Summer evening storm, and it's flooded.

I got a look at the inside track of the club (and league as a whole) via a good friend of mine, former head coach, Ricky Hill, who lead the Rowdies to the championship in 2012. I'm also fortunate to be friends with a few former players, notably; Rick's son, Shane (now in the UK), Luke Mulholland (now Real Salt Lake), Ryan Thompson (Jamaican national keeper) and Lucky Mkosana (now New York Cosmos). All good players who represent exceptions to the usual dross that inhabits the league.

In my opinion, it's a bad move for Cole. The MLS would've provided more of a challenge. Unless, of course, he just wants jogging subpar football, some cash and a tan.

Skyblueweeman

I kind of understand the 'good riddance' comments but he will have taken a massive pay cut to drop to L1 and play with us. We knew he was far from match fit when he joined and yes, TM might have changed things up to accommodate him but for once, when he signed, our club was being mentioned for something positive off the pitch. I've got no doubt that Coles experience off the pitch will have helped on the training pitch as well. How great must it have been for the Youth players at Ryton see the once great Joe Cole stroll into training? Compared to some complete dross we've had over the years, whose to say that he's not had a big impact in spurring on some of the youngsters?

As I've said before, yes, he didn't do much on the pitch but for a brief moment in time, I was delighted that all my mates were talking about Cov for signing the likes of Joe Cole...Cov mentioned positively for a change. And I'm sure some of the youth players will have benefited from seeing him in training on a regular basis.

Good luck Joe...wish you could've contributed more on the pitch but no grumbles from me....enjoy your last decent pay cheque.

Lamptey

The setting is as good as it gets.

The standard of the NASL is dreadful. I'd put it at League 2, at best.

Al Lang is a repurposed baseball stadium with an average fanbase of 4,000.

The owner knows nothing about the game, and nor do his advisers. There's an openly stated one year plan, every year. Subsequently, the majority of players are on one year contracts. This leads to a lack of continuity through a high turnover of players every year. There's then a race to gel a brand new squad from Preseason in February to the season opener in late March/early April.

The season is split in to two. A spring and fall season. Two separate seasons yet combined. If you finish top of spring, you make the combined playoffs (even if you finish last in fall).

Lots of below average journeymen players and older imports looking for a last paycheck in the sun. The pitch was relaid last year but not with a thought for drainage, so it's very soft and cuts up badly. Summer evening storm, and it's flooded.

I got a look at the inside track of the club (and league as a whole) via a good friend of mine, former head coach, Ricky Hill, who lead the Rowdies to the championship in 2012. I'm also fortunate to be friends with a few former players, notably; Rick's son, Shane (now in the UK), Luke Mulholland (now Real Salt Lake), Ryan Thompson (Jamaican national keeper) and Lucky Mkosana (now New York Cosmos). All good players who represent exceptions to the usual dross that inhabits the league.

In my opinion, it's a bad move for Cole. The MLS would've provided more of a challenge. Unless, of course, he just wants jogging subpar football, some cash and a tan.

Great insight, thanks!

Si80

Sounds familiar :whistle:

usskyblue

Sounds familiar :whistle:

Similar, but definitely worse here, given the overall lack of football knowledge throughout the club. Only Stuart Campbell (coach) and Perry Van Der Beck (assistant GM) have a real, in depth knowledge of the game. And it's Cambell's first managerial gig.

NorthernWisdom

Wonder if he'll reach the fame Robbie Keane did

A6sLReNCMAALQEh.jpg

chiefdave

1920px-Rowdies_Soccer_Config_2015.jpg

I think it is going to be the lifestyle more than the football for Cole out there!

Can't imagine why he'd prefer that to Coventry! Bet he'll get a decent wage as well.

We should try and get a pre-season game out there. That would be a better trip than Nuneaton.

Samo

I think it is going to be the lifestyle more than the football for Cole out there!

Those silly Americans don't even know where the goal is supposed to be!

usskyblue

They play in St. Petersburg, downtown, on the bayside. They'd get better attendances if they were in Tampa.

harvey098

Mowbray said months ago he was looking to join an American Team

You say he wanted to move to America and you say "he got what he wanted by coming to Coventry"

So the only thing I can deduce from this is that you think he used us as a stepping stone move to Tampa Bay Rowdies?

usskyblue

Former Cov/Rowdies....I think there's more, but off the top of my head;

Wegerle and Allardyce.

(Steve Hunt played for New York Cosmos.)

Johnnythespider

Doesn't seem very Rowdy does it ? On a side note didn't Rodney Marsh play there back in the day.

Yep? Just checked. Played 94 games between 76/79 and scored 48 goals which tells you everything you need to know about "soccer" back then

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread