Love snow (1 Viewer)

Otis

You would t expect doctors not to turn up for work would you?
Nope, but if they couldn't get in, they couldn't get in.

My missus has a part time job in a shop and about a third of the staff couldn't make it in yesterday.

Everyone should try to get in, but it is not always possible.

Embrace the snow, we only live once, despite what L Ron Hubbard says. :)

giphy.gif

Terry Gibson's perm

Well my daughter's best friend's street was closed to all traffic yesterday. Nowt coming in or out.

We Otis's are very happy for snow days. Long may they continue!! Whooo hoooo!!!

That was yesterday will be better today unless the road is full of teachers then it will last for days

Grendel

My missus has a part time job in a shop and about a third of the staff couldn't make it in yesterday.

giphy.gif

Anybody can get in - all main roads are passable. Christ this isn’t Russia - it’s a few snowflakes.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Oh no you're not.
I look like a camper version of Christopher biggins in my costume, and I'm dressing up as santa to give out some presents at a children's respite centre next week, really looking forward to that

Otis

The roads are fine today pretty much, have done a lap of the city and as long as you weren't being silly and stuck to half decent roads they were completely clear.
Tis better today. My daughter's friend's road was completely closed yesterday, but today she says her dad managed to get out.
I think schools are worried about litigation as much as anything else.

Otis

Anybody can get in - all main roads are passable. Christ this isn’t Russia - it’s a few snowflakes.
Well all the official advice from police and suchlike was to NOT venture out.

and 'Anybody' can get in is simply not true. If you are snowed in, you are snowed in. Most could make it, but not everyone.

Nick

Administrator
Tis better today. My daughter's friend's road was completely closed yesterday, but today she says her dad managed to get out.
I think schools are worried about litigation as much as anything else.

My road was awful yesterday, still cars sliding about but I used my noggin and went and moved it to the main road later on and left it there for the night. This morning there was no pissing about sliding about as I had done all of that yesterday in case I needed to do the school run this morning.

Jumped straight in, drove off on a normal road.

Nick

Administrator
If the amount of traffic this morning is any indication its not just the teachers who can't be bothered.

Was pretty dead driving around between 8 and 9 this morning. There was no school runs so it was like the summer holidays when theres hardly any cars.

Otis

My road was awful yesterday, still cars sliding about but I used my noggin and went and moved it to the main road later on and left it there for the night. This morning there was no pissing about sliding about as I had done all of that yesterday.

Jumped straight in, drove off on a normal road.
With my daughter's friend's road that wouldn't have been possible. It's an incline, then a sharpish bend, then another incline and then another sharpish bend and just the width of one car space. A slide of anything more than about 10mm and you would hit a garden wall or parked car.

Nick

Administrator
With my daughter's friend's road that wouldn't have been possible. It's an incline, then a sharpish bend, then another incline and then another sharpish bend and just the width of one car space. A slide of anything more than about 10mm and you would hit a garden wall or parked car.

Walk to the main road and get a family member / bus / uber / taxi, that was my backup plan if it really really came down to it.

Otis

Walk to the main road and get a family member / bus / uber / taxi, that was my backup plan if it really really came down to it.
No buses going down there. Not sure whether a taxi would have been able to, but would guess that they maybe would.

No good though if you live in Allesley and need to get a taxi to Magna Park Lutterworth. Probably cost more in taxi fare than it would a day's wages.

Terry Gibson's perm

No buses going down there. Not sure whether a taxi would have been able to, but would guess that they maybe would.

No good though if you live in Allesley and need to get a taxi to Magna Park Lutterworth. Probably cost more in taxi fare than it would a day's wages.

You can't shut down a whole city because of one street in Allesley

pastythegreat

It always amazes me how teachers all seem to have cars that don't work in the snow if they had the same attitude in Canada they would be the thickest country in the world. My wife and all her nursing colleagues managed to get into work yesterday and I managed with about 100 others to get in to work as normal last night.

All teachers should report to school as normal even if the pupils don't go in or lose a days pay.
There are MASSIVE differences between us and Canada! Canada have an infrastructure they've spent Billions on and spent decades perfecting ready for snow fall to clear it and make roads safe within hours of it falling! They also all drive huge vans, pick up trucks and 4x4s.
I agree that teachers often get an easy ride but I'm pretty sure if Theresa May cut the defence budget and upped your council tax to spend £40b to buy equipment and employ a work force to clear snow from the streets once every 4 years you'd be a bit more pissed off than how irate you're getting over a snow day!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Didn't see a soul walking to work this morning, a couple of passing cars and buses about and the city centre is like a 'ghost town', nobodies even on their 5th pint of the day outside the Litten tree!

bringbackrattles

giphy.gif
Love this picture.. It's me on my round !

Captain Dart

If the amount of traffic this morning is any indication its not just the teachers who can't be bothered.
Roads were practically empty this morning, my biggest challenge was parking at work because the car park was still covered in snow.

Terry Gibson's perm

There are MASSIVE differences between us and Canada! Canada have an infrastructure they've spent Billions on and spent decades perfecting ready for snow fall to clear it and make roads safe within hours of it falling! They also all drive huge vans, pick up trucks and 4x4s.
I agree that teachers often get an easy ride but I'm pretty sure if Theresa May cut the defence budget and upped your council tax to spend £40b to buy equipment and employ a work force to clear snow from the streets once every 4 years you'd be a bit more pissed off than how irate you're getting over a snow day!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This won't be a snow day it will be longer, they could start a nice savings account you could put tens of millions into it today by docking the teachers a days pay today, I just walked to the school to help clear the paths etc for tomorrow but unfortunately not a sole there or have been there sothick with snow so today will turn into multiple days.

Also in Canada you have to clear the snow in front of your house

Astute

Was nearly the worst I have seen it here this morning. Had to clear ice off most windows of car. At least the side that was parked next to the house was clear.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Our estate is still pretty bad just been out to brush all the snow off the car, her mum wants to collect her pension and wants a lift.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Our office was closed today, so I'm working from home today. Probably why I'm posting on here so much...

I think some people need to lighten up though. We don't get snow very often and it can be quite magical. One of my dogs had never seen it before so had a day full of experience yesterday.

Also, as for teachers being lazy. I'm pretty sure they close the schools due to health and safety of the kids.

Otis

Our office was closed today, so I'm working from home today. Probably why I'm posting on here so much...

I think some people need to lighten up though. We don't get snow very often and it can be quite magical. One of my dogs had never seen it before so had a day full of experience yesterday.

Also, as for teachers being lazy. I'm pretty sure they close the schools due to health and safety of the kids.

We can't let any of that get in the way of a good rant though.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Coca Cola lorries in Broadgate, loads of families and kids queuing for a picture!

Snows helped give an early Christmas feel!

Last edited:

Otis

Always wonder why if teaching's such a lark and they don't earn their money, why more people don't race to do it...
I have a few friends who are teachers and they all tell me DON'T be a teacher.

I hope that is because the profession is so undervalued and stressful and not because I would be crap at it.

Grendel

Always wonder why if teaching's such a lark and they don't earn their money, why more people don't race to do it...

Because if you have enough talent you’d do something in the real world that pays more?

Users who are viewing this thread