Love snow (5 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

I don't know but being 'Informed' seems so prohibitive to the point of Inertia.
tbf, not sure it was supposed to hit here today to the extremes of elsewhere.

But I do feel the dire warnings are counterproductive. The day there's a genuine warning I won't believe it, as I'll be thinking it's just another overreaction. Then there'll be all the news stories about people ignoring the warnings!

Terry Gibson's perm

If it keeps snowing like it is I should be able to make a snow ball about August.

Total over reaction from the weather people so far but as usual they will brush it off.

The only weather they get right is when they tell you the weather from earlier and they all look so smug getting it right

Nick

Administrator
All of this "don't travel unless it's absolutely necessary". The roads were perfectly clear.

Can they define absolutely necessary? Don't go for scenic drives on mountains or don't drive to work?

wingy

If it keeps snowing like it is I should be able to make a snow ball about August.

Total over reaction from the weather people so far but as usual they will brush it off.

The only weather they get right is when they tell you the weather from earlier and they all look so smug getting it right
tbf, not sure it was supposed to hit here today to the extremes of elsewhere.

But I do feel the dire warnings are counterproductive. The day there's a genuine warning I won't believe it, as I'll be thinking it's just another overreaction. Then there'll be all the news stories about people ignoring the warnings!
This is really the issue for me.

steve82

Most the time it's the papers that make a meal of these events. The beast from the east is actually in reference to the cold air being brought in from Siberia. Factor that into a mild North Sea and it's starting to develop good pockets of showers the are being blown inland and inconsistent to where they affect. Areas of the south that have seen prolonged heavier spells are affected but we've only had the minor dusting. The met office generally throw a net over a area and place a warning to be warned as opposed to previous years of saying it's gonna snow and the event move direction over night and everyone moan.

Currently Thursday/Friday looks a event of interested to this area on current data.

Legends day could be in doubt.

covmark

Meant to be travelling down to Dorset tomorrow.

Does anyone possibly based down there know if it's really snowed in yet?
I'm in Wiltshire not too far from Dorset. No significant snow at the moment. However that's supposed to change tomorrow morning where it's supposed to get pretty bad all over the South West.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

I'm in Wiltshire not too far from Dorset. No significant snow at the moment. However that's supposed to change tomorrow morning where it's supposed to get pretty bad all over the South West.
My parents (gawd bless 'em) have postponed their holiday down there for that very reason so, for their sake, I hope you get hellishly snowed in :p

covmark

My parents (gawd bless 'em) have postponed their holiday down there for that very reason so, for their sake, I hope you get hellishly snowed in :p
Haha. It's supposed to be bad. My Mrs' school has already been closed tomorrow and Friday. The lads school is closing at half 12, and there's no milk in the shops.
Mass panic for a bit of snow.

Grendel

bringbackrattles

Some customers told me to come back in April. But a few say you're here now so carry on. It shows this weather to some people is a menace while others just take it in their stride. I like the winter as it gets you moving, I prefer working in the cold than the heat to be honest. But it's not for everyone !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Just been out in the garden and I reckon the wind up here could cut you in half.......

Now my fingers have defrosted ive Just upped my direct debit to Whitechapel centre........spare a thought.....or better still a tenner.....for them poor poor souls on the street tonight......

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Thanks for shouting up.

Ideally we'll make it there tomorrow afternoon and get snowed in for the whole weekend!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just been out in the garden and I reckon the wind up here could cut you in half.......

Now my fingers have defrosted ive Just upped my direct debit to Whitechapel centre........spare a thought.....or better still a tenner.....for them poor poor souls on the street tonight......

Thought the same earlier, only saw one homeless person on my lunch today in town (opposite the flower man across from M&S I think it was a phone shop last in the doorway.)
Hope the others have got In somewhere and I guess those that I have my suspicions about that beg are Home in their warm flats or houses.

Sick Boy

No I know. I’ve been in -13 in Russia but this seems worse

I spent hours out in the Alps when it was -15c on new years a few years ago, this definitely feels far worse. Was outside for 10 mins and my face actually starting aching and my hands painful from the cold. Can't wait to return to the normality of rain and 8c, it'll feel like summer.

xcraigx

It's currently -8c here, never known it so cold in England.

Back in winter 2010 I was working over in Shrewsbury and as it was a Saturday night I ended up in the pub before getting a train back to my home in Telford at around midnight. The taxis were cancelled as the roads were undrivable and I had a 3 and a half mile walk home wearing a flimsy jacket and a couple of t shirts on. The temperature that night fell to -19.6 just up the road in Shawbury. The pain was unreal and if I had the money on me I would have headed straight for the hotel by the train station. I honestly thought I would die, I've never known anything quite like it.

covmark

Thought the same earlier, only saw one homeless person on my lunch today in town (opposite the flower man across from M&S I think it was a phone shop last in the doorway.)
Hope the others have got In somewhere and I guess those that I have my suspicions about that beg are Home in their warm flats or houses.
Yep, you have to really feel for the homeless when it's like this.
One of the lads at work set up a bit of a fund to supply clothes and hot meals for the homeless in salisbury. He was down there with fresh cooked chilli and all sorts of warm clothes yesterday.
Sometimes we have to realise how lucky we are.

Sick Boy

Yep, you have to really feel for the homeless when it's like this.
One of the lads at work set up a bit of a fund to supply clothes and hot meals for the homeless in salisbury. He was down there with fresh cooked chilli and all sorts of warm clothes yesterday.
Sometimes we have to realise how lucky we are.

Most of the time we don't even see homeless people as they tend to sleep off the street for their safety. I organised a football tournament at work and raised over £3k the other week, such a rewarding experience.

covmark

Most of the time we don't even see homeless people as they tend to sleep off the street for their safety. I organised a football tournament at work and raised over £3k the other week, such a rewarding experience.
Fair play to you mate. I know you live in Brighton. I work there 3 days a week and see first hand the problem that the city has with people living on the streets.
That 3k must have done an awful lot for those people.

Otis

It's currently -8c here, never known it so cold in England.
Yup. I tried walking the dog but it was horrendous. My ears were really stinging within about 6 or 7 mins and the cold on my face was quite painful.

I gave up after 15 mins. It was so bitter.

Sick Boy

Fair play to you mate. I know you live in Brighton. I work there 3 days a week and see first hand the problem that the city has with people living on the streets.
That 3k must have done an awful lot for those people.

Yeah it has got worse and worse here mate. There's a park near me in Hove that has so many people living in tents, and even people putting tents up in the steet, absolutely shocking. This was for a charity specifically for younger people, most of them you don't see on the street due to fear/shame/for their own safety. I have visited their centre a few times and the people there do a very commendable job.

Nick

Administrator
Nothing wrong on the roads this morning apart from spots of black ice down the lanes.

bringbackrattles

Been told by customers please leave it this week as weather too bad. I said it's not that bad just as a snow shower covered me head to toe. So I'll get some writing done and listen to some music !

Users who are viewing this thread