Match Thread Luton (1 Viewer)

lord_garrincha

Luton are a better side than us, even though our results against them have been okay, they seem to be one step ahead of us in our progression.

17/18 Autos against Play off win.
18/19 Winners against 8th.
19/20 Did what was required and stayed up.
20/21 Currently top half.

This won't be easy... But, obviously, not impossible... Shipley likes a goal against them, play him 😉

Grendel

Luton are a club we should benchmark. They really are building a ground arent they?

It will be interesting to see how we set against them.

To be honest I expect us to win at Wycombe as we always seem to

Gibbo

I think we can sneak this one by the odd goal.Yet another tough game, probably a bit scrappy.

I do remember that we were bullied by them two seasons agon at the Ricoh - you could see the difference in physical size as the teams lined up for kick off, they were big lads compared to us. But then so were Rotherham yesterday.

Obviously the same side natch. But I hope he is a bit more active with substitutes. Playing two games a week is knackering - allegedly it takes 48 hours to recover from a match.

Oh, and while I'm here, Sundays are a whole lot better when the City have won.....

Magwitch

We are slowly but surely building up momentum after an iffy start we have almost a fully fit squad injury wise, we look physically fitter, we have Kelly back, we have options on team selection and how we set up and crucial players hitting form I’m more than hopeful this will continue v Luton and Wycombe.

Grendel

We are slowly but surely building up momentum after an iffy start we have almost a fully fit squad injury wise, we look physically fitter, we have Kelly back, we have options on team selection and how we set up and crucial players hitting form I’m more than hopeful this will continue v Luton and Wycombe.

We don’t really have a full squad - couple of key players are out for some time

CovUpNorth

the 0-0 draw vs Birmingham was a turning point in my opinion, it stopped the rot of losing games and since then everything has pretty much gone to plan. The momentum is with us now, and I feel Robins will use the Walker/Biamou combination a lot more now , as this is far more effective than the one up front.
With Godden and Rose due to comeback from injury and hopefully Marosi, our squad is looking stronger.

larry_david

We don’t really have a full squad - couple of key players are out for some time
Exactly. If we had squad he'd have brought 4 on yesterday to get minutes, save legs. Fact is he didn't and looking at the bench I can see why. It's worrying, we need players back from injury because if things go wrong it's back to Allen and Shipley playing who can touch the ball the least

D

Deleted member 4439

Luton are a club we should benchmark. They really are building a ground arent they?

They may well be, though to note they have probably had the 'easiest' set of fixtures thus far. They've picked up a strong 15 pts against the bottom 5, but have struggled otherwise.

Barnsley (W)
Derby (W)
Watford (L)
Wycombe (W)
Stoke (L)
Millwall (L)
Sheff Weds (W)
Forest (W)
Brentford (L)
Rotherham (W)
Huddersfield (D)
Blackburn (D)
Birmingham (D)
Cardiff (L)
Norwich (W) - Norwich even more depleted than when we played them.
Swansea (L)

Londonccfcfan

Luton are a better side than us, even though our results against them have been okay, they seem to be one step ahead of us in our progression.

17/18 Autos against Play off win.
18/19 Winners against 8th.
19/20 Did what was required and stayed up.
20/21 Currently top half.

This won't be easy... But, obviously, not impossible... Shipley likes a goal against them, play him 😉

Agree 100% with most of this. They actually dropped into non league before this. So rise has been quite spectacular.

Think their rise has a ceiling which is a bit lower than ours.

But if well run there's no reason why can't emulate Brentford/Bournemouth.

Back to the match day...go with same team. No easy games. Think this will be a draw. 2-2. Take that keeping the unbeaten run going. Keeps us moving up potentially.

Mr Panda

I worry for this one just because it's Nathan Jones and I've got memories of that defeat at home in the season I think it was they went up.

If they're anything like that still they'll press the life out of us and move forward with cohesion so for that reason keep Shipley away again.

SeaSeeEffCee

Only thing that worries about this game is that we might have to rotate due to fixture congestion. The likes of Kelly, O’Hare, McCallum and Dabo haven’t had too much of a break recently and they’re going to have to sit out a game at some point. Play the same side as yesterday and I’d fancy us to get a good result.

Liquid Gold

I worry for this one just because it's Nathan Jones and I've got memories of that defeat at home in the season I think it was they went up.

If they're anything like that still they'll press the life out of us and move forward with cohesion so for that reason keep Shipley away again.
I remember that game as some fat bald EDL looking fuck came running out of the away end after and smacked the first con lad he could find in the side of the head, kid was only about 14.

SkyblueTexan

Tough match, but winnable I think although I might settle for a draw. Luton fans think they will thump us. Haven't played them in couple of seasons. So I don't have a clue how this could go. Watched a few of their matches on YouTube. They are a big side physically (like Rotherham) and seem to like to score from outside the box as well as from set pieces. So limiting corners, free-kicks near our box and closing down shooters outside the box will be key. Might need to keep the same side that beat Rotherham, but try to make earlier and perhaps more substitutions than the Rotherham match to keep the squad fresh. On the contrary, I can see Robins tinkering with the starting 11 to give Giles and Sheaf some time. Would be nice to have Godden back, to see what Da Costa and Hillsner have to offer, if Jobello can make a positive impact at some point and if Rose can recapture his mojo from last season. Have seen enough of Allen to conclude that this division might be a step too far for him. Baka and Shipley are there to throw bodies at teams and make up numbers which is fine on a limited budget I suppose for now.

Yorkshire SB

Will be a tough game, but if their results are anything to go on they’re nothing more than average, and our home record is great. I think we’ll draw, but every chance of 3 points

Gibbo

Exactly. If we had squad he'd have brought 4 on yesterday to get minutes, save legs. Fact is he didn't and looking at the bench I can see why. It's worrying, we need players back from injury because if things go wrong it's back to Allen and Shipley playing who can touch the ball the least
The injuries arguement does not apply as an excuse for poor perfomance, sorry chaps:-
1. Every team has some injured players (see another thread). Norwich's has 11 (eleven) names on it.
2. Particularly as we are playing two games a week.
3. The manager's job is to build a squad not an 11 man team.

Sky Blue Harry H

The added bonus for the Wycombe game is that they play on Wednesday, which means we get an extra 24 hours recovery/preparation time - which can only be a good thing, If you'd have offered me 6 points from Rotherham, Luton and Wycombe beforehand I'd have snapped your hand off.

Evo1883

They are a good side Luton... A point would be a decent return and a win away at Wycombe.. Would be a great week

bawtryneal

Don`t give away an stupid penalties or give the ref any 50/50 decisions to make would be a start
PUSB

Bugsy

Take a draw here, and a win against Wycombe...PUSB

SleepyGinger

They had Matty Pearson sent off yesterday, don’t think their side is that good on paper but they seem to be getting some good results, still think if we play like we did yesterday we’ll win this. 1-0 max

JeffB

I really am sorry to keep banging on about this but it is starting to seriously piss me off and all I want for my team is justice and a fair crack of the whip in games this season. This is another game against a southern based team where you can almost predict Luton getting a penalty which has us all bewildered and angry . Failing this we have a player sent off in controversial and mysterious circumstances. In fact the only surprise to me thus far this season is that we haven't had both in the same match. .

It isn't as if we are a dirty or even overtly physical side. So what is it? Why did O'Hare not get awarded a penalty against Derby but the Rotherham penalty award which was almost identical but not quite as blatant did?

Yesterday because we were so thrilled with the win we shrugged off yet another penalty award against us as the referee feeling sorry for Rotherham. There is never a referee giving us freebies because they feel sorry for us. Blackburn could have put 10 past us and the referee would not have batted an eyelid.

Last season Sunderland launched an inquiry into why they were conceding so many penalty kicks which they felt were not warranted. I have no idea what the result of this investigation was but the moral is that they signposted what they felt was an issue rather than just grin and bear it and I feel that the time has come for us to do the same.

I believe that Coventry like every other football club should be the recipient as well as the donor of penalty kicks when they are warranted and should have players sent off as well as see players from the opposition sent packing when they are involved in serious foul play. What concerns me is the phrase they were given the benefit of the doubt always seems to apply to the team we are playing and not to us.

As for this game if we get a fair crack of the whip a narrow 1 nil win.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

I really am sorry to keep banging on about this but it is starting to seriously piss me off and all I want for my team is justice and a fair crack of the whip in games this season. This is another game against a southern based team where you can almost predict Luton getting a penalty which has us all bewildered and angry . Failing this we have a player sent off in controversial and mysterious circumstances. In fact the only surprise to me thus far this season is that we haven't had both in the same match. .

It isn't as if we are a dirty or even overtly physical side. So what is it? Why did O'Hare not get awarded a penalty against Derby but the Rotherham penalty award which was almost identical but not quite as blatant did?

Yesterday because we were so thrilled with the win we shrugged off yet another penalty award against us as the referee feeling sorry for Rotherham. There is never a referee giving us freebies because they feel sorry for us. Blackburn could have put 10 past us and the referee could not have cared less.

Last season S

What are you actually suggesting, that officials in the Championship are part of an organised campaign to get us relegated?

Users who are viewing this thread