Match Thread Luton (3 Viewers)

SleepyGinger

I think we are seriously lacking one department more than others.

Thats CAM attacking midfielder. We have no one but Ohare.

Lets face it Shipley/Allen are good at league 1 level. But well out of their depth at this.

The fact we are looking at Giles (who has never scored a goal for us) or recently Jobello shows we have no one to play behind front 2.

And i dont think Hamer is that guy if pushed further forward.

Agree with this. Ohare was our only creative output yesterday. His work rate is second to none and he never goes hiding but his final product is lacking. A premier league loan would be nice in this position. Easier said than done though I know.

Mr Panda

We're missing Godden. Maybe also evidence to bring Giles back in to LWB over McCallum

Edit: stats cover whole of EFL

wingy

Can we take from this that Connor O'Hare attempts this mostly for us and Matty Godden has been nearly the biggest beneficiary of it across the league?

larry_david

Really don't like MR saying walker and Biamou lacked energy to get in the box. We were fooking 2-0 up and cruising from 45 mins onwards on sat. Why didn't he take them off with this in mind. 60 mins max off baka on and walker off Shipley or gilo on and see tthe game out comfortably with 30 mins to go but instead he kept them both on, and lo and behold they're both fucked for last night.

Makes it worse when we went 3 up and he didn't didn't change them, then moans they're knackered. No shit we have 5 subs, use them when 3-0 with 15 to go ffs.

Rant over

Brighton Sky Blue

Really don't like MR saying walker and Biamou lacked energy to get in the box. We were fooking 2-0 up and cruising from 45 mins onwards on sat. Why didn't he take them off with this in mind. 60 mins max off baka on and walker off Shipley or gilo on and see tthe game out comfortably with 30 mins to go but instead he kept them both on, and lo and behold they're both fucked for last night.

Makes it worse when we went 3 up and he didn't didn't change them, then moans they're knackered. No shit we have 5 subs, use them when 3-0 with 15 to go ffs.

Rant over

His use of subs is a definite weakness, Norwich being a notable exception.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A lazy assumption I think. There are many matches where a substition he has made has made a positive difference.

There are also plenty of examples where he's refrained despite the opposition clearly getting the upperhand and looking likely to score if nothing is done. Which they have then done. Of course we can never say it would've turned out better if he had made the change (there are also example of him making changes that have made it worse which could explain his reluctance to do so) but I think it's fair to say MR is reluctant to use his bench more often than not.

Brighton Sky Blue

Its easy to make subs when you're chasing a game. Much harder when it's deadlocked and you need to switch things up to get the win.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well taking Rotherham and Blackburn as examples, the games were over as contests with ample time left to rotate and give fringe players some fitness. This isn’t some major criticism, but no manager is without flaw.

TomRad85

Well taking Rotherham and Blackburn as examples, the games were over as contests with ample time left to rotate and give fringe players some fitness. This isn’t some major criticism, but no manager is without flaw.
I was actually agreeing with you to an extent that he's not fantastic at subs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Irish Sky Blue

There are also plenty of examples where he's refrained despite the opposition clearly getting the upperhand and looking likely to score if nothing is done. Which they have then done. Of course we can never say it would've turned out better if he had made the change (there are also example of him making changes that have made it worse which could explain his reluctance to do so) but I think it's fair to say MR is reluctant to use his bench more often than not.
That reluctance could be considered a strength. Both you and I are looking at the game from a fan's point of view. We will have our opinions and are entitled to them. However, surely someone like Robin's should be given credit for knowing more than me or you?. Before a sub is made he always has an elongated conflab with Vibash so it won't be just his decision. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or get things wrong, but surely they have more nouse than random fans on a City forum? What gets me are the definite, confident comments from posters ( whose opinions on who should come off and who should go on often conflict with each other) that they they are right, can see the situation as plain as day and that Robins is missing a trick.
Would earlier subs at Derby have made a difference? Who knows? The one way I suppose you can tell is if the player(s) coming on has a major influence on the game such as scoring or making a goal.
There was one post I read today criticising Robins for not taking off Biamou and Walker after we went 3-0 up against Rotherham as Robins had then said they were both knackered against Luton. What's to say that with 25-30 mins left to play that substituting them both then would have lead to Rotherham getting back in the game? Robins would have taken dogs abuse if that had happened.

Brighton Sky Blue

That reluctance could be considered a strength. Both you and I are looking at the game from a fan's point of view. We will have our opinions and are entitled to them. However, surely someone like Robin's should be given credit for knowing more than me or you?. Before a sub is made he always has an elongated conflab with Vibash so it won't be just his decision. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or get things wrong, but surely they have more nouse than random fans on a City forum? What gets me are the definite, confident comments from posters ( whose opinions on who should come off and who should go on often conflict with each other) that they they are right, can see the situation as plain as day and that Robins is missing a trick.
Would earlier subs at Derby have made a difference? Who knows? The one way I suppose you can tell is if the player(s) coming on has a major influence on the game such as scoring or making a goal.
There was one post I read today criticising Robins for not taking off Biamou and Walker after we went 3-0 up against Rotherham as Robins had then said they were both knackered against Luton. What's to say that with 25-30 mins left to play that substituting them both then would have lead to Rotherham getting back in the game? Robins would have taken dogs abuse if that had happened.

What are Robins’ weaknesses in your view? Genuine question, not trying to be funny.

Irish Sky Blue

What are Robins’ weaknesses in your view? Genuine question, not trying to be funny.
Since relegation from the PL, as a club we have known at best, mediocrity, at worst abject failure. That was until Robins turned up for the second time. He has completely transformed the playing fortunes of the club in a way that not one of the other umpteen managers we have had in that period has come even close to. His achievements are even more impressive when you consider the circumstances in which he has been working.
My question would really be; why focus on weaknesses when he has done so well?
His win percentage is one of the best in our history, we have generally played attractive, attacking, winning football, we have a successful strategy for improving the squad, his man management appears very good as team spirit and togetherness seems excellent.
No doubt everyone can improve and become even better at what they do but it is surely hard to be too critical of Robins (again, why would you want to be?), when by most measures, he is doing a great job.

Brighton Sky Blue

Since relegation from the PL, as a club we have known at best, mediocrity, at worst abject failure. That was until Robins turned up for the second time. He has completely transformed the playing fortunes of the club in a way that not one of the other umpteen managers we have had in that period has come even close to. His achievements are even more impressive when you consider the circumstances in which he has been working.
My question would really be; why focus on weaknesses when he has done so well?
His win percentage is one of the best in our history, we have generally played attractive, attacking, winning football, we have a successful strategy for improving the squad, his man management appears very good as team spirit and togetherness seems excellent.
No doubt everyone can improve and become even better at what they do but it is surely hard to be too critical of Robins (again, why would you want to be?), when by most measures, he is doing a great job.

I wasn't really seeking to do that, just to make a minor point about how he's used subs. It doesn't mean I don't rate the overall job.

Esoterica

In that order?
5 years ago the Steak Bakes were in 3rd but since Chris Badlan's arrival, the scouting spreadsheets are so complex that Robin doesn't have time to cook for himself.
Also Viveash brings out Robins dark side. When you see him whispering in Robins' ear around 70 minutes, most people just think he's talking about substitution possibilities but actually it's because he's tipping him off about a 'meet up' he's heard about in an A45 layby.

Brighton Sky Blue

5 years ago the Steak Bakes were in 3rd but since Chris Badlan's arrival, the scouting spreadsheets are so complex that Robin doesn't have time to cook for himself.
Also Viveash brings out Robins dark side. When you see him whispering in Robins' ear around 70 minutes, most people just think he's talking about substitution possibilities but actually it's because he's tipping him off about a 'meet up' he's heard about in an A45 layby.

Knew he was pleased with having even more subs on the team coach

clint van damme

I agree with your general point but don't think the Rotherham game is a good example.
The most glaring example for me was Derby.

Gibbo

Failing to take any notice of the expert advice given by people on internet forums
There have been times when the forum has been ahead of Robins - three at the back last year springs to mind.

BUT given how many opinions are expressed on here, and that they are frequently contradictory (even by the same person), then I suppose statistically the forum may just be ahead of him once and a while.

Brighton Sky Blue

There have been times when the forum has been ahead of Robins - three at the back last year springs to mind.

BUT given how many opinions are expressed on here, and that they are frequently contradictory (even by the same person), then I suppose statistically the forum may just be ahead of him once and a while.

It is also possible for Robins to sometimes make mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread