Match Thread Luton (1 Viewer)

Grendel

What are you actually suggesting, that officials in the Championship are part of an organised campaign to get us relegated?

It’s random. It was a clear penalty yesterday

Mucca Mad Boys

Our hone form has been pretty good, all in all. So I think this will be a draw. A win would be really good result.

Unchanged, if possible, probably Giles for McCallum if he is tired.

Frostie

I really am sorry to keep banging on about this but it is starting to seriously piss me off and all I want for my team is justice and a fair crack of the whip in games this season. This is another game against a southern based team where you can almost predict Luton getting a penalty which has us all bewildered and angry . Failing this we have a player sent off in controversial and mysterious circumstances. In fact the only surprise to me thus far this season is that we haven't had both in the same match. .

It isn't as if we are a dirty or even overtly physical side. So what is it? Why did O'Hare not get awarded a penalty against Derby but the Rotherham penalty award which was almost identical but not quite as blatant did?

Yesterday because we were so thrilled with the win we shrugged off yet another penalty award against us as the referee feeling sorry for Rotherham. There is never a referee giving us freebies because they feel sorry for us. Blackburn could have put 10 past us and the referee would not have batted an eyelid.

Last season Sunderland launched an inquiry into why they were conceding so many penalty kicks which they felt were not warranted. I have no idea what the result of this investigation was but the moral is that they signposted what they felt was an issue rather than just grin and bear it and I feel that the time has come for us to do the same.

I believe that Coventry like every other football club should be the recipient as well as the donor of penalty kicks when they are warranted and should have players sent off as well as see players from the opposition sent packing when they are involved in serious foul play. What concerns me is the phrase they were given the benefit of the doubt always seems to apply to the team we are playing and not to us.

As for this game if we get a fair crack of the whip a narrow 1 nil win.

Referees aren't infallible & notoriously inconsistent, nothing more than that.

We got away with a blatant one by Hyam v Derby too.

JeffB

What are you actually suggesting, that officials in the Championship are part of an organised campaign to get us relegated?
No I am not suggesting that. What I am suggesting is that people see what they want to see and subconsciously favour one thing over another for whatever reason. Once there is a trend, Coventry give away penalty kicks then it is very easy to make assumptions based on the trend, Coventry foul the opposition in the penalty box, which can be wholly inaccurate. However when there is a trend emerging which is unwarranted then I believe it needs to be challenged.

That is my view anyway.

SlowerThanPlatt

No I am not suggesting that. What I am suggesting is that people see what they want to see and subconsciously favour one thing over another for whatever reason. Once there is a trend, Coventry give away penalty kicks then it is very easy to make assumptions based on the trend, Coventry foul the opposition in the penalty box, which can be wholly inaccurate. However when there is a trend emerging which is unwarranted then I believe it needs to be challenged.

That is my view anyway.

You also used Forest as part of your conspiracy yesterday - their player handballed it on the line to stop a certain goal. There is no bias

NortonSkyBlue

I really am sorry to keep banging on about this but it is starting to seriously piss me off and all I want for my team is justice and a fair crack of the whip in games this season. This is another game against a southern based team where you can almost predict Luton getting a penalty which has us all bewildered and angry . Failing this we have a player sent off in controversial and mysterious circumstances. In fact the only surprise to me thus far this season is that we haven't had both in the same match. .

It isn't as if we are a dirty or even overtly physical side. So what is it? Why did O'Hare not get awarded a penalty against Derby but the Rotherham penalty award which was almost identical but not quite as blatant did?

Yesterday because we were so thrilled with the win we shrugged off yet another penalty award against us as the referee feeling sorry for Rotherham. There is never a referee giving us freebies because they feel sorry for us. Blackburn could have put 10 past us and the referee would not have batted an eyelid.

Last season Sunderland launched an inquiry into why they were conceding so many penalty kicks which they felt were not warranted. I have no idea what the result of this investigation was but the moral is that they signposted what they felt was an issue rather than just grin and bear it and I feel that the time has come for us to do the same.

I believe that Coventry like every other football club should be the recipient as well as the donor of penalty kicks when they are warranted and should have players sent off as well as see players from the opposition sent packing when they are involved in serious foul play. What concerns me is the phrase they were given the benefit of the doubt always seems to apply to the team we are playing and not to us.

You need to have a lie down. Rotherham were awarded a penalty before cause of a foul, not a southern based conspiracy.
Earlier in the season we gave away some naive penalties non of which were really anything other than decisions we would have wanted awarded to us if they happened at the other end. Yes we should have had a penalty at Derby but also got away with one in the same game.
You sound like the guys who believe that the BBC, central news and the Coventry Telegraph, Sky and Quest have something against us.

JeffB

You also used Forest as part of your conspiracy yesterday - their player handballed it on the line to stop a certain goal. There is no bias
I am going to have a lie down in a darkened room. I will watch the highlights of West Brom against Crystal Palace.

Paxman II

With confidence running high now I can expect win, but sense a draw. Wycombe we should win. But if we keep upping our game and keep the faith I see no reason why our mini run should continue with a couple of wins. We will need to be stronger in the middle of the park against Luton. Sheaf perhaps should come in. Difficult picks, but getting fascinating now with each fixture.

Barnsley

They may well be, though to note they have probably had the 'easiest' set of fixtures thus far. They've picked up a strong 15 pts against the bottom 5, but have struggled otherwise.

Barnsley (W)
Derby (W)
Watford (L)
Wycombe (W)
Stoke (L)
Millwall (L)
Sheff Weds (W)
Forest (W)
Brentford (L)
Rotherham (W)
Huddersfield (D)
Blackburn (D)
Birmingham (D)
Cardiff (L)
Norwich (W) - Norwich even more depleted than when we played them.
Swansea (L)

They’re beat the teams they should be beating we’ve done the same so far it’s what keep you up.

Great_Expectations

I’ve been optimistic before every game this season, with the caveat as long as we are offensive and impose ourselves, we’re more than capable of getting a result. The performance yesterday has only enhanced that.

The game is definitely winnable, as is Saturday, so it’s a tough one for MR in terms of squad rotation. I would keep the team the same if possible, other than Giles for McCallum. They then have3 days to recover and I’d go same again v Wycombe, then change it the following game.

If anyone is rested I’d expect it to be Kelly, but Sheaf if a great replacement.

If Walker and Biamou link up and play as they did the first half on Saturday, I anticipate a good victory.

3-1, Biamou, Walker, McFadzean.

D

Deleted member 2477

But Rotherham are a Northern team so I dont get your point ?

johnwillomagic

Hmm this one is a very tricky one - Luton if memory serves me correctly are quite big and physical like Luton - with that being the case would only make one change if any - my change would be Sheaf for Kelly to give him a rest - due to physicality would keep McCallum in Xi with Giles a great bench option.

Would like us to make more use of the bench with Baka and Giles in particular getting a run and then maybe Shipley and/or Allen when O'Hare tires and Kelly to come on and steady the ship and see out the game if needed.

Wilson

Dabo Osti Fadz Hyam McCallum

Sheaf Hamer

o'Hare

Biamou Walker

Subs: Camp, Pask, Giles, Kelly, Shipley, Jpbello, Allen, Baka, Bapaga

D

Deleted member 4439

I really am sorry to keep banging on about this but it is starting to seriously piss me off and all I want for my team is justice and a fair crack of the whip in games this season. This is another game against a southern based team where you can almost predict Luton getting a penalty

Aren't we a southern-based side, albeit playing home games at a Northern-based stadium?

kg82

0-1. Cross by them into the box, unbelievable double save by Wilson but the 3rd attempt he spills into 5 acres of space and the invisible man slots it home.
Biamou equalises, but it doesn’t count.

shmmeee

Think I’d save O’Hare for the last half hour. Bring Sheaf back in, possibly switch McCallum for Giles, or do that with half an hour to go. Tell Hamer to play a bit further up the pitch. Depending on how things are going I’d be tempted to chuck Bapaga on for Walker last 5/10 mins as well.

Wilson
Østigård McFadzean Hyam
Dabo Sheaf Hamer Kelly McCallum
Walker Biamou

S: Camp, Pask, Giles, Thompson, Shipley, O’Hare, Baka, Bapaga, Jobello

Users who are viewing this thread