Match Thread Luton (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

it’s a football forum pal, I like football and talking about it what’s odd about that ?

I actually admire you Barnsley. I'm here as watching this team is in my blood but I often question my sanity when I read some of the nonsense (from the usual suspects). To be voluntarily here with no affiliation to the City - that's totally insane but again kudos to you and most of us are happy to have you here.

Grendel

I actually admire you Barnsley. I'm here as watching this team is in my blood but I often question my sanity when I read some of the nonsense (from the usual suspects). To be voluntarily here with no affiliation to the City - that's totally insane but again kudos to you and most of us are happy to have you here.

I am mentioning you in my right back clue tomorrow in my award winning Christmas Quiz. Take a look - I’m sure an expert like you will know all the answers anyway

Grendel

I forgot that will be coming up soon, always look forward to it.

It’s started

DannyThomas_1981

I am mentioning you in my right back clue tomorrow in my award winning Christmas Quiz. Take a look - I’m sure an expert like you will know all the answers anyway
I never thought I would say this - but for once - exactly right.

Kudos to you Grendel - the festive season finally seems to be rubbing off on you with your authentic, kind and generous heartfelt words - amazing! Who would have thought it.

ccfc1234

Gonna be an unpopular opinion but I still don't get a good feeling from him. He doesn't look like he feels he belongs there. His movements are jerky, everything he does seems a little rushed. There's something Burge-esque about him for me, constantly feel like there's an accident around the corner.
I share the concerns, in fairness for the majority of the games he has not been too tested. Do like his safety first distribution.

cc84cov

Also said that Shipley gives him energy on the pitch from time to time, that’s no bloody use if he’s on the pitch for 15 minutes and doesn’t touch the ball once! The most pointless substitution I think we have ever made 😂
Is that the managers fault or the players tho ?

He’s been put on by the manager to me the player failed to impose himself on the game 🤷🏻‍♂️

He said the energy wasn’t there but didn’t want to use his subs...Contradicting himself the game was crying out for Sheaf in that midfield but I’ll take the point and clean sheet as a positive.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Think @BornSlippySkyBlue is the grounds man here
Ha, sorry I wasn’t on the match thread in the second half because food / children and all that so not sure what this is in reference to (if I want to know!) :)

Have to say, I’m ok with a draw. We didn’t look like winning, or losing from general play. One deflection or lucky bounce would have won it. 6 unbeaten, didn’t expect to say that a few weeks ago. We will be ok this season I feel. Just.

Ref was baffling again I thought.

Johhny Blue

Ha, sorry I wasn’t on the match thread in the second half because food / children and all that so not sure what this is in reference to (if I want to know!) :)

Have to say, I’m ok with a draw. We didn’t look like winning, or losing from general play. One deflection or lucky bounce would have won it. 6 unbeaten, didn’t expect to say that a few weeks ago. We will be ok this season I feel. Just.

Ref was baffling again I thought.
You misspelled “Bastard”

Blind-Faith

Is that the managers fault or the players tho ?

He’s been put on by the manager to me the player failed to impose himself on the game 🤷🏻‍♂️

He said the energy wasn’t there but didn’t want to use his subs...Contradicting himself the game was crying out for Sheaf in that midfield but I’ll take the point and clean sheet as a positive.
Apologies , I wasn’t digging out robins there, absolutely the players fault, may aswell of left Callum on, although it wasn’t his best game by any means, he never hides regardless of how he’s playing , would still of had more impact than Shipley had for the last 15 minutes

stevefloyd

Bringing Shipley on was pointless I’d rather have O’Hare on the pitch immediately after playing 2 entire games than Shipley just off the bench
I would rather have a pair of football boots on than Shipley...ohh wait a minute thats what happened... At what point did MR expect him to come on and change anything about the game in the poor state he is in atm !

stevefloyd

I don’t care what Barnsley fans think, I’m a Barnsley fan I know what I think, and I know I’m right, so I don’t need to read and discuss thinks with them because I already know everything.
I think you're ok, our 'lot' have a defensive attitude with other fans but at least you offer an unbiased opinion to our hysterical rants on here and at least you are not on here trolling..

AFCCOVENTRY

I would rather have a pair of football boots on than Shipley...ohh wait a minute thats what happened... At what point did MR expect him to come on and change anything about the game in the poor state he is in atm !

I don’t think he touched the ball for the time he was on the pitch?

stevefloyd

Also said that Shipley gives him energy on the pitch from time to time, that’s no bloody use if he’s on the pitch for 15 minutes and doesn’t touch the ball once! The most pointless substitution I think we have ever made 😂
In the same vein Kasta gives him energy on the pitch ...he just runs and kicks anything/everything but at least he usually touches the ball

jordan210

MR - "The energy levels weren't there"

Use your subs then you lunatic.

Not like we can use 5 of them to boost energy levels on the pitch and give people a rest.

Would have liked to see Sheaf and Giles on who hasn't played now for a few games and stick Jobello on last 10 to run at them.

Sky Blue Pete

Not like we can use 5 of them to boost energy levels on the pitch and give people a rest.

Would have liked to see Sheaf and Giles on who hasn't played now for a few games and stick Jobello on last 10 to run at them.
So you need to start from the premise he knows at least as much as you about football. So instead of if only he’d seen what we saw he could have made more subs
I always think why didn’t sheaf and Giles come on? Knocks?
Shipley always has a goal in him so that was a no brainer and he made some intelligent runs and wasn’t found
Baka looked lively but not like scoring
Dacosta wasnt fit
Jobello wasn’t fit

so to keep a clean sheet and get a point is pretty impressive really all be it the performance wasn’t great

Last edited:

Mcbean

I used bastard for the ref several times - he missed some hellish tackles particularly one on Fanki and some of his decisions were clearly arse about face - point was ok for me

Mucca Mad Boys

So you need to start from the premise he knows at least as much as you about football. So instead of if only he’d seen what we saw he could have made more subs

so I always think why didn’t sheaf and Giles come on? Knocks?
Shipley always has a goal in him

Robins clearly likes some of those players on the bench so I agree there’s probably a reason he’s not bringing them on.

For example, bringing Sheaf on I don’t think is a strong move. He hasn’t shown he has a goal in him (like Shipley or Hamer) and his defensive capabilities aren’t to Kelly’s level. It might have been sensible to bring Giles on, but McCallum was having a good game and played some dangerous crosses - is it worth the risk of bringing on a more attacking minded WB in a 0-0 draw?

I get the impression fans generally think substitutes are more impactful than they actually are. We don’t really have any game changers on the bench.

Sky Blue Pete

Robins clearly likes some of those players on the bench so I agree there’s probably a reason he’s not bringing them on.

For example, bringing Sheaf on I don’t think is a strong move. He hasn’t shown he has a goal in him (like Shipley or Hamer) and his defensive capabilities aren’t to Kelly’s level. It might have been sensible to bring Giles on, but McCallum was having a good game and played some dangerous crosses - is it worth the risk of bringing on a more attacking minded WB in a 0-0 draw?
Agreed. He changed it up against Bristol city and Notts forest and we lost both games. He changed it up against Norwich and it worked.
He didn’t change it against derby and we got lucky with the equaliser
He didn’t change it last night and we didn’t get lucky but certainly didn’t look like scoring

All this proves nothing but we do know lots about robins

Our joke song at the start of last season (that blew up in our face) was

Only one Mark Robins
Only one Mark Robins
He picks the wrong team, he plays for w draw
We’re never going up with him in charge

He is risk averse
He plays to not lose rather than win mostly
He rarely changes during a game which I suppose makes sense if you practice one pattern and you think it’s right

Maybe he’s learnt over the years or maybe it’s a reflection that he thinks there are some games in this division or with this squad at the moment that we aim for 0–0 and hope to Nick a goal

Certainly without our main man up front

Last edited:

stupot07

I thought Luton got their tactics spot on, they pressed high, they stopped the passing through midfield and made us go long and the 2 huge centre backs cleaned up.

Robins should have use his subs, it was crying out for Giles pace for the last 20 minutes, he is a far better crosser or the ball. I also think Allen would have been a better option ahead of Shipley.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

I think we are seriously lacking one department more than others.

Thats CAM attacking midfielder. We have no one but Ohare.

Lets face it Shipley/Allen are good at league 1 level. But well out of their depth at this.

The fact we are looking at Giles (who has never scored a goal for us) or recently Jobello shows we have no one to play behind front 2.

And i dont think Hamer is that guy if pushed further forward.

Liquid Gold

I always think why didn’t sheaf and Giles come on? Knocks?
Shipley always has a goal in him so that was a no brainer and he made some intelligent runs and wasn’t found
Baka looked lively but not like scoring
Dacosta wasnt fit
Jobello wasn’t fit

so to keep a clean sheet and get a point is pretty impressive really all be it the performance wasn’t great
You don't get players fit by not giving them any football though. This is the same argument you used about Burge playing shite for 2 years then when Marosi came in you accepted maybe the fans can also see something isn't working.

Sky Blue Pete

I personally think he’s made some decisions on whether players are good enough for this level but sheaf and Giles were interesting choices

Skybluefaz

You have plenty of words you just never say anything

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread