Season Tickets (3 Viewers)

Ashdown

Touched a few nerves here ..........Just remind me, how much did you pay for your £300,000 house, was it between £3000 and £7,000 ?? I hope you enjoyed that free education too and did the best you could in a country that was teeming with high paid ' jobs for life' for decades !! Pensions did you say...............oh yeah that's those things people used to be able to put money into at the end of each month and then go back to your warmed slippers and hot dinner made by a wife who didn't HAVE to go out to work just to make ends meet !!

matesx

Touched a few nerves here ..........Just remind me, how much did you pay for your £300,000 house, was it between £3000 and £7,000 ?? I hope you enjoyed that free education too and did the best you could in a country that was teeming with high paid ' jobs for life' for decades !! Pensions did you say...............oh yeah that's those things people used to be able to put money into at the end of each month and then go back to your warmed slippers and hot dinner made by a wife who didn't HAVE to go out to work just to make ends meet !!

that's a top notch rant Sir

Old Warwickshire lad

Wow just for the record, when houses were £7000 people were earning £26 a week. Mind you some people who bought at those prices were lucky enough to get £1 an hour for working on the track at jag.

wingy

3 bed semi in Eastern Green could be had for 6K while earning £22-23 in 63-64 .
Do the sums someone what they sell for now
All on one salary .
Even though that's turned out a winner the truth is the system is rigged
All the second salary gains have been sucked up by the economist policy makers.
Can't have too many wealthy folk ,no one will get up and out to do all that work for the controllers .
I think the current generation have got a point.

Ashdown

3 bed semi in Eastern Green could be had for 6K while earning £22-23 in 63-64 .
Do the sums someone what they sell for now
All on one salary .
Even though that's turned out a winner the truth is the system is rigged
All the second salary gains have been sucked up by the economist policy makers.
Can't have too many wealthy folk ,no one will get up and out to do all that work for the controllers .
I think the current generation have got a point.
I'm only on the wind up really......I'm not that much younger than some of the buggers I'm poking at, . Born 1967, so also benefitted a little with some stuff discussed.

Grendel

D

Deleted member 4439

Whilst without doubt getting on the house ladder these days is extremely difficult for couples, let alone single folk, much of the above is bollox.

First of all, buying a house has never been easy for the average person, and has always meant considerable sacrifices.

My folks paid 3K for their house in the 50s, a time when it was still somewhat unusual for working class people to buy rather than rent. They knew it would be a stretch. Both went to work but there were very few luxuries around, even though 70s inflation meant that it would have been paid off comfortably by the end of the mortgage time. I don't think the house was even properly furnished until the late seventies. And btw, neither of my folks, smoked, drank, gambled or in any other way frittered away their money.

I bought my house for 30K in 87. At the time I was a track operative at Peugeot bringing home £105 quid a week, and at a time when interest rates were always around 7-9 per cent. I remember looking at my monthly incoming and outgoing on Black Wednesday in 92 - when the bank interest rate went from 11% to 15% in a day,- and working out that after outgoings and food allowance I had enough for 4 tinnies. My house is now worth 300K, so great, I still have to live somewhere, and I worked in crap jobs for 25 sodding years to have it.

On education, in the mid-70s, 7% of the population went to Uni, the majority of whom were from private school. Very few even went on to do A-levels. I went to a decent compo yet only two of my class of 30 went on to do A levels. Along with the rest I left school at 16 (which was a darn sight better than the age my folks left school at, aged 14), which meant we were paying into the system 5 years earlier then the 40% now.

On a personal level, I got my first degree by part time study (I paid the tuition fees), which meant studying for modules in the work loos whilst on night shift and other wsie using my holiday allowance to take day modules and exams. The irony is that having spent 30 years paying into the system, I took a break from work in 98 to do a second but FT 3 year degree, just when they had removed grants.

On jobs, this can be a bit variable according to region, but by the end of the 70s apprenticeships and factory jobs were on their way out. The eighties were shite for many people (I ended up on 40 quid week community gis us a job scheme, planting trees, when Peugeot made a load redundant), and a good number of people further struggled in the 90s recession.

I'm by no means saying that you've never had it so good, just that if you really think you've never had it so bad then you know nothing about recent social history, and you do nothing to counter the badge of 'entitlement'. Try fighting Austerity instead - I'm sure you're old enough have some idea of what happened in 2008, and where all the money went to. If not, try Mark Blyth's "Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea"., and why today's agenda is no longer about class but about intra-class divide and nationalism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashdown

Whilst without doubt getting on the house ladder these days is extremely difficult for couples, let alone single folk, much of the above is bollox.

First of all, buying a house has never been easy for the average person, and has always meant considerable sacrifices.

My folks paid 3K for their house in the 50s, a time when it was still somewhat unusual for working class people to buy rather than rent. They knew it would be a stretch. Both went to work but there were very few luxuries around, even though 70s inflation meant that it would have been paid off comfortably by the end of the mortgage time. I don't think the house was even properly furnished until the late seventies. And btw, neither of my folks, smoked, drank, gambled or in any other way frittered away their money.

I bought my house for 30K in 87. At the time I was a track operative at Peugeot bringing home £105 quid a week, and at a time when interest rates were always around 7-9 per cent. I remember looking at my monthly incoming and outgoing on Black Wednesday in 92 - when the bank interest rate went from 11% to 15% in a day,- and working out that after outgoings and food allowance I had enough for 4 tinnies. My house is now worth 300K, so great, I still have to live somewhere, and I worked in crap jobs for 25 sodding years to have it.

On education, in the mid-70s, 7% of the population went to Uni, the majority of whom were from private school. Very few even went on to do A-levels. I went to a decent compo yet only two of my class of 30 went on to do A levels. Along with the rest I left school at 16 (which was a darn sight better than the age my folks left school at, aged 14), which meant we were paying into the system 5 years earlier then the 40% now.

On a personal level, I got my first degree by part time study (I paid the tuition fees), which meant studying for modules in the work loos whilst on night shift and other wsie using my holiday allowance to take day modules and exams. The irony is that having spent 30 years paying into the system, I took a break from work in 98 to do a second but FT 3 year degree, just when they had removed grants.

On jobs, this can be a bit variable according to region, but by the end of the 70s apprenticeships and factory jobs were on their way out. The eighties were shite for many people (I ended up on 40 quid week community gis us a job scheme, planting trees, when Peugeot made a load redundant), and a good number of people further struggled in the 90s recession.

I'm by no means saying that you've never had it so good, just that if you really think you've never had it so bad then you know nothing about recent social history, and you do nothing to counter the badge of 'entitlement'. Try fighting Austerity instead - I'm sure you're old enough have some idea of what happened in 2008, and where all the money went to. If not, try Mark Blyth's "Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea"., and why today's agenda is no longer about class but about intra-class divide and nationalism.
Fucksake, thanks for your entire life story !

GaryJones

Next Week I think.

TheDube

Good stuff.

I know some will still say it's crap, but as many of us keep saying, we were so poor for so long and so far down in the doldrums it is going to take time to rebuild that trust and belief.

It's took me 6 years to want to come back as a season ticket holder, used to have one from 1997 until I went to uni in 2012

shmmeee

Wow just for the record, when houses were £7000 people were earning £26 a week. Mind you some people who bought at those prices were lucky enough to get £1 an hour for working on the track at jag.

The price to income ratio has changed massively. Don’t pull that crap. Find me a house South of Birmingham for three times average income today!

If you think housing hasn’t got more expensive and been a massive lottery win for the older generation I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Edit:
Here you go:

FTB-earnings.png

Users who are viewing this thread