Second referendum : am I missing something ? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Lol...you guys really do get off on belittling the UK don't you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The point is that most of the uk have no interest either. It’s happening and that’s that

Grendel

I bet it isn't far off

The way the uk finance purchases mainly offsets material cost. Conversely uk manufactured vehicles into Europe deliver very poor margins

skybluetony176

So if Germany lost about 36 billions worth of exports to the UK in cars alone it would mean nothing?

Of course Tony.

Again with the putting words in people’s mouths. I stated quite deliberately it would hurt. You also seem to be assuming that no deal would mean Germany would have to stop selling cars into the U.K. overnight. No doubt I it would effect sales but it won’t drop to zero so Germany won’t lose £36B in car sales alone they will lose a percentage of that amount. Maybe you should look percentage up in the dictionary.

skybluetony176

The value of German exports to the UK in 2016 was $94,075,870,670. I suppose that will easily be replaced.

Again. A percentage. We’re not shutting the border to German products we’ll be applying a tariff that some will be willing to pay when purchasing German goods and others won’t. It’s not a trade embargo it’s WTO terms. Distinct difference.

Or do you think we’re going to lose £274B of exports overnight?

Captain Dart

Balance_by_countries_v2.png

Everything you might want to know about the UK's trade with the EU

skybluetony176

Germany would still take a direct hit by not selling a fifth of its cars to us, the EU doesn't manufacture the cars Germany does

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

It’s WTO terms not a trade embargo. They’ll still be selling cars here. Maybe not as many but people will still be buying them.

Astute

1 in 7 isn’t 20% I’ll tell you what much.
Of course it isn't.

We buy 1 in every 7 cars they make in Germany.

Just what I said.

We buy 20% of of all cars they export from Germany.

Just what I said.

Now for the idiots. The rest of them are bought by Germans.

SkyblueBazza

It’s WTO terms not a trade embargo. They’ll still be selling cars here. Maybe not as many but people will still be buying them.
That is an assumption. Post Brexit, dependent upon the final deal...there might be a backlash against EU manufactured goods for all we know. It is all very much unknown

Grappa

What's the problem with a second referendum? If the will of the people is so strong surely it will pass a second test?

SkyblueBazza

What's the problem with a second referendum? If the will of the people is so strong surely it will pass a second test?
The problem is that people, I suspect such as yourself, only want one because you feel it would result in us remaining. However, many remain supoorters felt similarly confident thanks to the opinion polls before the last referendum...so be careful what you wish for.

Grappa

The problem is that people, I suspect such as yourself, only want one because you feel it would result in us remaining. However, many remain supoorters felt similarly confident thanks to the opinion polls before the last referendum...so be careful what you wish for.

Then don't worry about it. Advocate for a second referendum. Put all these remoaners in their place.

SkyblueBazza

Then don't worry about it. Advocate for a second referendum. Put all these remoaners in their place.
Why waste time? The Brexiteers would no doubt find a good reason, & get support to hold a third.

What you have to accept is that the majority of eligible voters don't care enough to bother voting. Those that did have had their say

Last edited:

clint van damme

Like I said easy to replace :rolleyes:

Overall we are the 3rd largest export destination for Germany. And we don't even rank for their imports.

So who has the most to lose?

Germany: Trade Statistics

we do, because even though they sell around 65 - 70 million more to us than we export to them their loss will be spread around 27 countries. But as I agreed with you, this will hurt everyone.

Astute

we do, because even though they sell around 65 - 70 million more to us than we export to them their loss will be spread around 27 countries. But as I agreed with you, this will hurt everyone.
Billions not millions.

If there are jobs lost here there will be jobs lost all over the EU. Germany will be hit hard. And that is after having to put billions more in each year to the EU.

Spain would be hit much harder. They are not doing well. And they run a massive surplus with us.

This is why I have said all along that I can see a deal being struck. It isn't just for the benefit of the UK. Nearly every country in the EU is a net exporter to the UK. So how happy do you think they will be if the EU carries on as they are?

SkyblueBazza

The majority of eligible voters didn't vote in the referendum? What are you going on about now?
You know full well what my point was because it has been made many times. The majority of eligible voters voted to leave or were not bothered enough to vote at all.

Astute

The most recent most recognised polls have said that we want it to carry on as it is or aim for a softer Brexit. A very low % want another referendum.

Sick Boy

You know full well what my point was because it has been made many times. The majority of eligible voters voted to leave or were not bothered enough to vote at all.

It was the 2nd highest electoral turnout, you claimed a majority didn't bother to vote.

Sick Boy

The most recent most recognised polls have said that we want it to carry on as it is or aim for a softer Brexit. A very low % want another referendum.

Not long ago you were claiming that polls were not an accurate measurement but now that they agree with your own point of view, they are?

Astute

Not long ago you were claiming that polls were not an accurate measurement but now that they agree with your own point of view, they are?
Were they accurate in saying we would vote remain?

It was pointed out here that YouGov said that the majority wanted another referendum. That was also false.

Polls can only give an estimate. But when the majority is large and the minority is very small like for another referendum it gives a much better idea than a nobody on SBT saying that the majority wants another referendum. It was 14% IIRC.

Astute

It was the 2nd highest electoral turnout, you claimed a majority didn't bother to vote.
Yes. The second highest ever turnout where nearly 2m more people voted leave than remain.

Sick Boy

Yes. The second highest ever turnout where nearly 2m more people voted leave than remain.

People are allowed to change their minds in a democracy, otherwise we'd only ever have one election and stick with that political party. I'm sure if it had been the other way around you'd be going about how close it was and that it wasn't a large enough majority etc etc.

As I've said before, I think that either way it is going to cause problems and the country is going to be fractured and divided for ever such a long time still. I honestly don't know how it could be repaired any time soon.

Evo1883

Still don’t see why remain think they can turn around 700k - 800k votes just to get it back to 50/50 , 2 whole cities the size of Coventry changing their mind .
Pure fantasy

Grendel

People are allowed to change their minds in a democracy, otherwise we'd only ever have one election and stick with that political party. I'm sure if it had been the other way around you'd be going about how close it was and that it wasn't a large enough majority etc etc.

As I've said before, I think that either way it is going to cause problems and the country is going to be fractured and divided for ever such a long time still. I honestly don't know how it could be repaired any time soon.

Polls have consistently shown only 30% want another vote on the issue

How can any government offer something only a minority are craving for?

Covstu

I voted remain but cannot understand this ‘oh fuck we got it wrong so can we try again’ approach. Yes people can change their minds through the course of time but not such a short time after. The country voted and leave won, I accept that (don’t like it but accept it).

Sounds like buyers remorse without a receipt at the moment

Sick Boy

Polls have consistently shown only 30% want another vote on the issue

How can any government offer something only a minority are craving for?

As I said, polls only seem to be accurate when it backs someone's own opinions on here.
IMO, some kind of vote on the final deal/a GE is going to become inevitable. Especially as we were told that the chances of a no deal were minimal and negotiations would be simple; there is minimal support for a no deal.

Users who are viewing this thread