Second referendum : am I missing something ? (2 Viewers)

Astute

Isn’t because it’s the EU way or nothing the major reason on many issues the argument for leave? Why are we going to exert more influence when we’re not in the club anymore?
Influence on what?

So we want a trade deal so we have more influence than we did by being a member?

Astute

Because the U.K. only makes up 4% of EU trade. They’re supposed to ignore the 96% to favour the 4%? Is that what you’re saying? That’s what it sounds like.
That is the EU as a whole. It includes food that we can only have a certain amount of.

So back to Germany and 20% of their car exports coming to the UK.....

And car exports are their biggest exports by far. Yet you don't seem to want to talk about this.

martcov

People still failing to acknowledge that with the EU playing hard ball , they are also playing with peoples jobs within the euro zone .
The blame here is with the EU , if Britain is hit hard then so will many European countries be hit hard too .

Hold firm , don’t bow to pressure and get the deal we want or walk away ,simple

You will walk away then. Simple.

martcov

Influence on what?

So we want a trade deal so we have more influence than we did by being a member?

At the moment we are talking about not being in the single market, but wanting the benefits of it. It would wreck the single market. Whether or not Germany sells a lot of cars in the UK, the single market is worth more for 27 countries than sales to the UK. That’s it.

skybluetony176

Why don't you check out the numbers.

And when you are surprised at how big the number is I will look forward to your next excuse.

You didn’t answer the question.

What percentage of a percentage of a percentage of a percentage am I supposed to be looking at? A percentage of the 4% of EU’s trade into the U.K.? Who’s percentage? Germany’s? Then you keep going on about a specific industry so another percentage. 1 in 5 cars you say so that’s 20% of another percentage of a percentage of 4% so already you’re way below 1% what do you recon? How many decimal places are we at?

Last edited:

skybluetony176

That is the EU as a whole. It includes food that we can only have a certain amount of.

So back to Germany and 20% of their car exports coming to the UK.....

And car exports are their biggest exports by far. Yet you don't seem to want to talk about this.
Which is a percentage of Germany’s industry which is a percentage of 26 nations who’s combined exports to the U.K. is 4% of total exports. What planet are you on where you think 0.0 something is going to dictate 100% of a trade deal.?

skybluetony176

At the moment we are talking about not being in the single market, but wanting the benefits of it. It would wreck the single market. Whether or not Germany sells a lot of cars in the UK, the single market is worth more for 27 countries than sales to the UK. That’s it.

Mart do you know what percentage of Germany’s exports are made up from the motor industry? I can’t find anything definitive but keep seeing figures quoted at around 12-15% of all exports which I thought was too low.

martcov

Which is a percentage of Germany’s industry which is a percentage of 26 nations who’s combined exports to the U.K. is 4% of total exports. What planet are you on where you think 0.0 something is going to dictate 100% of a trade deal.?

Brexit got a brief mention here. People just said May is asking for something that won’t happen. The big discussion is about illegal non EU immigration and how to solve it. Brexit is a distraction. No one is really bothered about Brexit at the moment.

martcov

Mart do you know what percentage of Germany’s exports are made up from the motor industry? I can’t find anything definitive but keep seeing figures quoted at around 12-15% of all exports which I thought was too low.

I don’t know, but Brexit is not being discussed here in terms of car exports. There is nothing in the local news where I live. We are more shipbuilding ( best submarines in the world) and cruise ship visits and Baltic trade. Maybe there is more discussion in the car regions, VW is more in the news because of the emissions scandal. That seems more relevant than Brexit. Everyone who speaks to me about Brexit thinks we are mad.

skybluetony176

Same here. Here is one from 2017. 12% to GB, 14,3% to France. Not 20% as Astute likes to think and France is more than the UK.

12 Prozent der deutschen Exporte gingen 2016 nach GB

Sorry I meant what percentage of Germany’s exports in total are made up by the car industry. Not to individual countries.

I’ve read the one in five cars made in Germany are exported to the U.K. before so it could be right. But I also read another article at about the same time which claimed 1 in 7. Could be the way the figures are interpreted of course?

Grendel

Sorry I meant what percentage of Germany’s exports in total are made up by the car industry. Not to individual countries.

I’ve read the one in five cars made in Germany are exported to the U.K. before so it could be right. But I also read another article at about the same time which claimed 1 in 7. Could be the way the figures are interpreted of course?

How many cars do they export to Greenland Tony?

The numbers actually make little difference - the margin of profit is the key

skybluetony176

How many cars do they export to Greenland Tony?

The numbers actually make little difference - the margin of profit is the key

What’s the relevance of Greenland?

Profit margin you say. I’ll take you at your word on that one. That’s another percentage to add into the equation then. I wonder how many decimal places we’re at now? I was thinking with a finger in the air 0.0, add your percentage into it we’re probably at 0.00 something.

Grendel

What’s the relevance of Greenland?

Profit margin you say. I’ll take you at your word on that one. That’s another percentage to add into the equation then. I wonder how many decimal places we’re at now? I was thinking with a finger in the air 0.0, add your percentage into it we’re probably at 0.00 something.

Some countries you make 6 times the profit than others Tony

SkyblueBazza

I agree with you in principle. I voted remain, if given the chance again I would vote leave because I respect Democracy.I don't like the EU I think its needs to be reformed, we should be doing that from within. I also think that we will struggle outside of the EU and it is in their best interest to ensure that we do, to say to member states 'See what happens when you go it alone?' The only ones that ever said we would get a deal were the Brexiteers. I am aware that people had different reasons to remain and leave and you have to respect personal opinion, its not all about the economy, until it collapses. I do think at some point we will apply for membership again, but we will lose our currency and our veto. I compare our situation to Stormy Daniels (well and truly fucked!) but I really hope I am wrong.
I think you are wrong. Trying to rejoin would be accompanied by some pretty severe preconditions imo. Joining the € would be the first. No opt-outs the second. And I dread to think of the punitive measures financially to make up lost income due to our leaving in the first place!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

martcov

I think you are wrong. Trying to rejoin would be accompanied by some pretty severe preconditions imo. Joining the € would be the first. No opt-outs the second. And I dread to think of the punitive measures financially to make up lost income due to our leaving in the first place!

How would that work? Payment for not being in the EU? Where do you get your ideas from?

Sick Boy

Brexit got a brief mention here. People just said May is asking for something that won’t happen. The big discussion is about illegal non EU immigration and how to solve it. Brexit is a distraction. No one is really bothered about Brexit at the moment.

Yeah I was over in Italy last week and based on what gets said on here you'd think the media in the rest of the EU would be gripped by the ongoing saga.

martcov

Yeah I was over in Italy last week and based on what gets said on here you'd think the media in the rest of the EU would be gripped by the ongoing saga.

Yes, all governments seem to want to find a solution... the right wingers may have differing views from the more centrist parties, everyone seems to want to do something. That is the way it should be, Europeans trying to find a joint solution to the problem. The UK is not as interested as Britain is an island well away from the people smuggler routes. Yes, I know Belgium and France are routes to the UK, but nothing like the Mediterranean routes.

martcov

May now asking for respect and proposals for Brexit from the EU. I think she has been talking to Bazza. We’re leaving. Why don’t we just put forward a workable plan? We helped write the rules of the single market. We cannot say we don’t understand how the single market will be compromised. It cannot be that difficult. Brexit means Brexit... please explain it to the EU.. How can the EU respect the UK if, after 2 years, and having been told that Chequers won’t work in it‘s present form, we just go ahead and say this is how we are leaving. The British Print Media, UKIP and right winger Conservatives have been insulting the EU and it’s leading figures non stop for years. Now May ignores what she has been told and asks for respect. You can’t make this up.

Grendel

May now asking for respect and proposals for Brexit from the EU. I think she has been talking to Bazza. We’re leaving. Why don’t we just put forward a workable plan? We helped write the rules of the single market. We cannot say we don’t understand how the single market will be compromised. It cannot be that difficult. Brexit means Brexit... please explain it to the EU.. How can the EU respect the UK if, after 2 years, and having been told that Chequers won’t work in it‘s present form, we just go ahead and say this is how we are leaving. The British Print Media, UKIP and right winger Conservatives have been insulting the EU and it’s leading figures non stop for years. Now May ignores what she has been told and asks for respect. You can’t make this up.

Left wing politicians in the uk hate Europe far more than conservatives

Clueless as ever

Astute

So if Germany lost about 36 billions worth of exports to the UK in cars alone it would mean nothing?

Of course Tony.

Astute

1 in 7 made come here. 20% of cars exported come here.

Not hard if you try to get the truth out what you read.

Astute

Italy has enough problems of its own to worry about what goes on here.

martcov

According to the German office of trade‘s statistics about car exports in value. Export markets. Maybe they are different stats.

Just checked. That’s all goods exported to EU countries not just cars. I was looking for cars and got that. Different stats. GB is the second most important EU country after France.

GB was the second most important car export country after the USA. Here are the 2016 figures:

Automobilindustrie betroffen
Besonders die Automobilindustrie könnte vom Brexit betroffen sein, denn das mit Abstand wichtigste deutsche Exportgut in das Vereinigte Königreich waren im Jahr 2016 Kraftfahrzeuge und Kraftfahrzeugteile mit 27,2 Milliarden Euro. Damit war das Vereinigte Königreich exportseitig zweitwichtigster Handelspartner für die deutsche Automobilindustrie nach den Vereinigten Staaten mit Exporten in Höhe von 29,5 Milliarden Euro

Astute

I’m sure. But it’s still another percentage to add into the equation. I doubt German car makers are making 100% profit on cars sold into the U.K.
The value of German exports to the UK in 2016 was $94,075,870,670. I suppose that will easily be replaced.

Astute

Just checked. That’s all goods exported to EU countries not just cars. I was looking for cars and got that. Different stats. GB is the second most important EU country after France.

GB was the second most important car export country after the USA. Here are the 2016 figures:

Automobilindustrie betroffen
Besonders die Automobilindustrie könnte vom Brexit betroffen sein, denn das mit Abstand wichtigste deutsche Exportgut in das Vereinigte Königreich waren im Jahr 2016 Kraftfahrzeuge und Kraftfahrzeugteile mit 27,2 Milliarden Euro. Damit war das Vereinigte Königreich exportseitig zweitwichtigster Handelspartner für die deutsche Automobilindustrie nach den Vereinigten Staaten mit Exporten in Höhe von 29,5 Milliarden Euro
Like I said easy to replace :rolleyes:

Overall we are the 3rd largest export destination for Germany. And we don't even rank for their imports.

So who has the most to lose?

Germany: Trade Statistics

AVWskyblue

You didn’t answer the question.

What percentage of a percentage of a percentage of a percentage am I supposed to be looking at? A percentage of the 4% of EU’s trade into the U.K.? Who’s percentage? Germany’s? Then you keep going on about a specific industry so another percentage. 1 in 5 cars you say so that’s 20% of another percentage of a percentage of 4% so already you’re way below 1% what do you recon? How many decimal places are we at?
Germany would still take a direct hit by not selling a fifth of its cars to us, the EU doesn't manufacture the cars Germany does

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

Grendel

Germany would still take a direct hit by not selling a fifth of its cars to us, the EU doesn't manufacture the cars Germany does

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

Christ now he really will be confused

SkyblueBazza

Lol...you guys really do get off on belittling the UK don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread