Southend United (Away) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

And in that time gone from Top with 3 point lead to 5th 6 points of top and autos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
I do say Cole coming in made a difference. When he came in we tried to accommodate him rather than get him to adapt to the way we play.

He didn't seem to fit into the style of play.

We have always had the problem of if Armstrong isn't playing who will fill those boots.

Defence has been decimated and Phillips simply isn't good enough at the moment to be anywhere near the first team and we have missed Reda, then Turner and now Ramage in there is a worry. Bit of a last gasp bring someone in.

We need a commanding centre back and need one now! A pacy winger could make a big difference too.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't know if its because teams are setting up differently against or due to personal changes but we're not playing the same as we were earlier in the season. We've lost the incisiveness in our attacking players in recent weeks, all seems almost too patient, instead of being patient its pedestrian. Maybe we are missing Kent more than we all thought we would.

Entering a crucial period of the season now, 18 games left is enough time to turn it around. I'm looking at the next 8 games now as a crucial set of matches, poor results and we will give ourselves too much to do in the run in. A good set of results in these 8 and we will be in a great position for the run in to get the automatic place.

H

Huckerby

I do say Cole coming in made a difference. When he came in we tried to accommodate him rather than get him to adapt to the way we play.

We have always had the problem of if Armstrong isn't playing who will fill those boots.

Defence has been decimated and Phillips simply isn't good enough at the moment to be anywhere near the first team and we have missed Reda, then Turner and now Ramage in there is a worry. Bit of a last gasp bring someone in.

We need a commanding centre back and need one now! A pacy winger could make a big difference too.
Yeh like you say, we've always needed another striker with goals in him. We need a replacement for reda/turner, and we need a replacement for kent (alternative pacey winger i mean)

Gazolba

<snip>

Completely agree on Cole. He was a massive disruption for little return (so far). Rose is 6'2", I wonder if he has ever played CB.

Last edited:

stupot07

I really wish Linnell would stop going on about possession stats. Doesn't matter if you have 20% or 80% possession, you have to score more goals than the opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Just looked at the table though and it still looks okay. 6 points behind top place after now what has proved to be a very bad run.

We HAVE to now have a very good run though. We have good enough players, so we are very capable of a good run, but talk is cheap.

It needs a shake up and I said that before today's game. Bigi worries me, so I would have liked to see Rose start and I would have gone with Maddison from the start too.
Fresh approach, new impetus. The way we are playing now is not creating enough opportunities up front.

The Crewe game was a great result, but as I said at the time, Crewe did gift us a few goals that day, so maybe it wasn't a true picture.

Fresh approach and new blood asap please.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

kdrinkell

I have to begrudgingly agree,he is or was a great player who should be brilliant for the team but the reality is far from that

No Way Back

Losing is one thing but I'm disappointed we couldn't get back into the game with 10 v 11.
A few injuries just show we don't have enough strength in depth.

Astute

Long way to go still. And as todays results show anyone can beat anyone. But we do need to turn things around very quickly if we are going to make the auto's

SlowerThanPlatt

Just looked at the table though and it still looks okay. 6 points behind top place after now what has proved to be a very bad run.

We HAVE to now have a very good run though. We have good enough players, so we are very capable of a good run, but talk is cheap.

It needs a shake up and I said that before today's game. Bigi worries me, so I would have liked to see Rose start and I would have gone with Maddison from the start too.
Fresh approach, new impetus. The way we are playing now is not creating enough opportunities up front.

The Crewe game was a great result, but as I said at the time, Crewe did gift us a few goals that day, so maybe it wasn't a true picture.

Fresh approach and new blood asap please.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Problem is...what happens if a new approach doesn't work (like it hasn't in the last few games). Do we go back to the old approach or keep changing until we find a winning one?

At the moment we keep trying new players and systems every game but none of them are working

Astute

Losing is one thing but I'm disappointed we couldn't get back into the game with 10 v 11.
A few injuries just show we don't have enough strength in depth.

Anyone with half of their side out injured will struggle. And it just happened to be our most influential players.

Gazolba

<snip>. Doesn't matter if you have 20% or 80% possession, you have to score more goals than the opposition.

All true but the opposition cannot score while you have possession so it does count for something.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I really wish Linnell would stop going on about possession stats. Doesn't matter if you have 20% or 80% possession, you have to score more goals than the opposition.

Yes, I said near the start of the season that I'm not interested in playing possession football, I want to see attacking football, people taking shots, pace, players gambling and players skipping past opposition.

Think part of the problem over recent weeks is we've lost our incisiveness and became too patient when we have the ball, dunno if that's something we've purposely done with Mowbray wanting us to more patient and have more possession or its a consequence of teams setting up differently to nullify our threats or either a result of the personal changes we've had in recent weeks.

Otis

Problem is...what happens if a new approach doesn't work (like it hasn't in the last few games). Do we go back to the old approach or keep changing until we find a winning one?

At the moment we keep trying new players and systems every game but none of them are working
Have we really changed the old approach?

Fleck is out, we expect Bigi to play the same role. We still only play one up front and both our fullbacks continue to not support the forward play too much.

What has changed? Does seem to me that when players are out we more often than not go for like for like.

TM himself said we need to adapt depending on who we play and the time of year etc.

Think we need to try something different. Today was enforced. I'm talking about shaking it up.

AFCCOVENTRY

Bigi is just awful. His loan needs cancelling.

MAF - waste of space. Release him

Tudgay - same. Release him.

Let's use those wages being saved to get some better players.

SlowerThanPlatt

Don't understand some of these callers on CWR. We can't question the manager and the players because we nearly got relegated last year? So if we nearly get promoted this year but get relegated in 2017 you can't question the manager either?

st john

One of our problems is we've played every team atleast once now and most on the return tie have adapted their game to stop us playing ours and we have no plan B. Always seems to be teams changing their tactics to counter ours and not the other way

I think it's more that our plan B hasn't worked. Wasn't that why TM signed Fortune? he has said many times that we have to adopt a different style of play for certain games. Problem is finding a successful plan B that suits the the available players.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Mowbray says
Disappointed
Team struggled from start
no excuses
Disappointing performances
Didn't create enough clear chances
Team didn't perform
Have to stick together
Done fantastically well to get in the position we are but have to dig in to keep it going
Experienced side who didn't get the job done

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Tony's disappointed

Struggled from the start

Beaten by resilient team

No excuses

Armstrong and Murphy ruled out yesterday. Tried training but decision made they wouldn't make the game

Very experienced team but very disappointing performance

Not sure we created many chances. Had hundreds of shots but no clear cut chances

They had many bodies behind the ball

Think the starting 11 from what we had available was the right 11

If you play Tudgay you have to play balls into the box

Tudgay took a knock so went off

James did OK over the 45

We're the players strong enough? (Question challenged) - referred again to the experience

Bit unfair to speak about individuals

Not. Great day for hunt or anybody

(Radio cuts out - sorry)

shmmeee

Need to get into the transfer market. If there's no CBs about get a LB in who is better than Haynes and play Stokes left CB. Lorentzson and Rose in next game for Ramage and Bigi. Need a ST, need a winger. What happened to the sweet shop?

Macca

Have heavily relied on 2 explosive players, my expectations dropping each week. Still fingers crossed

Gazolba

Let's all go to the Barnsley forum and see what its like to win 6-1.

Users who are viewing this thread